Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Journalists to face jail for stories which “embarrass the Government”

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Only have to look at Assange to see what happens to you when uncomfortable truths about governments are revealed....

The American Government.

And Assange is mad as a box of frogs.

Closer to home, Mrs T tried to block Spycatcher. A mate bought a copy for me in America (ironically). It is rather dosappointing in terms of sauce but quite a fun read. The idea of banning it was absurd. That sort of censorship has been off the table for quite some time now.

I'd be astonished if Boris thinks that taking on the British news media is a good plan. There are probably dozens of cuckolded male journalists who would like to see Boris' liver on a skewer over a moderate heat. ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The American Government.

And Assange is mad as a box of frogs.

Closer to home, Mrs T tried to block Spycatcher. A mate bought a copy for me in America (ironically). It is rather dosappointing in terms of sauce but quite a fun read. The idea of banning it was absurd. That sort of censorship has been off the table for quite some time now.

I'd be astonished if Boris thinks that taking on the British news media is a good plan. There are probably dozens of cuckolded male journalists who would like to see Boris' liver on a skewer over a moderate heat. ???

I remember getting a copy of Spycatcher and it was a little disappointing but, what I thought was incredible was the bugging of that Russian Embassy, was it in Toronto Canada ? where they managed to get in to a vacant building alongside and over a while tunnelled through about 6' of masonry with decreasing drill sizes to put a microphone the size of a Swan Vesta head 1mm behind the Embassy wallpaper to eavesdrop.....amazing !

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
For me the issue is always 'public interest'. The press in this country needs heavy censoring because it often acts in the interests of the lowest common denominator of literary trash- often at the expense of others welfare.

However, once standards and values are applied, proper investigative journalism that exposes corruption, injustice and crime should not be censored.

The courts have a good handle on such things generally, but are only really accessible for the wealthy.

Happy to see gazillions in fines for infringements on right to privacy. Not happy to see someone banged up for exposing uncomfortable truths about government and civil service activity.

My sentiments entirely

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember getting a copy of Spycatcher and it was a little disappointing but, what I thought was incredible was the bugging of that Russian Embassy, was it in Toronto Canada ? where they managed to get in to a vacant building alongside and over a while tunnelled through about 6' of masonry with decreasing drill sizes to put a microphone the size of a Swan Vesta head 1mm behind the Embassy wallpaper to eavesdrop.....amazing !

Loose lips sink ships.

After this bill has passed Boris will have you chained to a radiator in a pool of your own piss for that sort of unhelpful revelation, me laddo ???

:wink:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Loose lips sink ships.

After this bill has passed Boris will have you chained to a radiator in a pool of your own piss for that sort of unhelpful revelation, me laddo ???

:wink:

It's in the public domain though so I'm in the clear... I hope. Not sure the government can get this Bill through fast enough to stop Cummings spilling ALL the beans though. Something has to sink Johnson eventually !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here