Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Josh King

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Has Everton and West Ham written all over it.

Everton have plenty of forwards - Richarlison, Iwobi, Calvert-Lewin, Tosun, Kean, Walcott, Bernard, plus Niasse on loan to Cardiff - so my guess is they will wish to unload some before singing anyone else. They tend to overpay for players who tend not to make the investment worthwhile.

West Ham probably smarting over Haller (7 goals from 32 games) but are they any more attractive a proposition than Albion? JK would certainly get game time here, probably equal to Maupay and potentially be a good foil for him.

Issue for Brighton in singing forwards in particular, is the ability to pay big salaries.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Everton have plenty of forwards - Richarlison, Iwobi, Calvert-Lewin, Tosun, Kean, Walcott, Bernard, plus Niasse on loan to Cardiff - so my guess is they will wish to unload some before singing anyone else. They tend to overpay for players who tend not to make the investment worthwhile.

West Ham probably smarting over Haller (7 goals from 32 games) but are they any more attractive a proposition than Albion? JK would certainly get game time here, probably equal to Maupay and potentially be a good foil for him.

Issue for Brighton in singing forwards in particular, is the ability to pay big salaries.

Your last point is one I covered on the Dunk thread. I can see Dunk going but also perhaps some of the old guard, whose wages are at the top end of our budget. Bringing in some quality PL oldies like Lallana on top wages balanced against youth, we can then begin to offer better wages to marquee signings.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Your last point is one I covered on the Dunk thread. I can see Dunk going but also perhaps some of the old guard, whose wages are at the top end of our budget. Bringing in some quality PL oldies like Lallana on top wages balanced against youth, we can then begin to offer better wages to marquee signings.

Our wages are a bit lopsided now and I think this will get sorted this summer. The top earners are not necessarily the best players any more, if we move on Montoya and Stephens for instance we won't be affected too much but will free up a huge chunk of wages. If Dunk and Duffy happen to move on as well that's about £200k a week.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

I agree with you but you've been whooshed I'm afraid.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Our wages are a bit lopsided now and I think this will get sorted this summer. The top earners are not necessarily the best players any more, if we move on Montoya and Stephens for instance we won't be affected too much but will free up a huge chunk of wages. If Dunk and Duffy happen to move on as well that's about £200k a week.

I agree, I know there's plenty on here who still want the likes of Stephens, Gross or March but all these are well paid and of similar ability. That ability has got us in a relegation battle three years running. If we are to progress they are the savings in wages we can make.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
What do the press say Josh King’s salary is? It seems Plucky are allegedly high payers, but are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What do the press say Josh King’s salary is? It seems Plucky are allegedly high payers, but are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think so - more so than us and no relegation clauses either. Couple of players on 75k-100k at least

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
I agree, I know there's plenty on here who still want the likes of Stephens, Gross or March but all these are well paid and of similar ability. That ability has got us in a relegation battle three years running. If we are to progress they are the savings in wages we can make.

Bit unfair. Could equally say those players have fully played their parts in keeping us in the premier.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Bit unfair. Could equally say those players have fully played their parts in keeping us in the premier.

Yes maybe but one view is by the head the other the heart. To be grateful is fine, but Bloom wants to progress therefore the likelihood is, to achieve this you need better players than the ones you have, that have so far only just kept us in the top flight. Sentiment can't come in to it.

Last edited:

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Could still be a goer?

plas-main1.jpg

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think so - more so than us and no relegation clauses either. Couple of players on 75k-100k at least

They have got relegation clauses. They lose 40% of their money in the Championship. Ake didn't and so they cashed in. Others, such as Wilson were also keen to get away because of this. As far as I am aware, King's money will have fallen to a lower level.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Not a chance, Has Everton and West Ham written all over it.

West Ham are keeping their purse strings very tight, they are also after defenders so this would be a shock.

Everton is more realistic but they have Tosun as back up to those two main strikers and they actually play one up top. That said, if they want him, they’ll get him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here