Joseph Ratzinger is he sinister.... ???

Attachments

• 579820_510928895611942_1266457927_n.jpg
    579820_510928895611942_1266457927_n.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 214

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
The Catholic Church had a lot of dark days and associations during the second world war.

Somewhat ot but having read Bert Trautmann's excellent autobiography it would appear that if you were growing up in Germany during the 30's your family were strongly "encouraged" to enrol you in the Hitler Youth Group. Alternatives were not good.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I've always thought of the Catholic religion as very dark and sinister and still a tad medieval in ways.
I'm not religious so I'm not having a pop as it is but yes I agree with sinister !

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agreed he probably didn't have much choice about the Hitlerjugend.

Did I hear today that he actually deserted from the German Army before being captured by the allies.

And if anyone is interested in the Church's resistance (or at least of some parts of it), to the German authorities during the war, then try reading up about Dietrich Bonhoeffer.... while most of the Church in Germany "sat on its hands" or refused to condemn Hitler, I believe.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Of course he is sinister, he was in a position within the Vatican to cover up numerous cases of abuse around the world. Some said that he shouldn't take the rap as he was not top dog at the time. However, if he had any moral code or conscience, when he got the top job he would have done something about it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Oh a wiki link.

If you're having to use a wiki link to point out your bias you lose.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed he probably didn't have much choice about the Hitlerjugend.

Did I hear today that he actually deserted from the German Army before being captured by the allies.

And if anyone is interested in the Church's resistance (or at least of some parts of it), to the German authorities during the war, then try reading up about Dietrich Bonhoeffer.... while most of the Church in Germany "sat on its hands" or refused to condemn Hitler, I believe.

The Jews appreciated the efforts of many Catholics during WW2, including the Pope.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Oh a wiki link.

If you're having to use a wiki link to point out your bias you lose.

- - - Updated - - -

The Jews appreciated the efforts of many Catholics during WW2, including the Pope.

Thats a bit rich when you haven't offered any evidence. Truly you are the Glenn-Murray of catholic apologists.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Thats a bit rich when you haven't offered any evidence. Truly you are the Glenn-Murray of catholic apologists.

I don't expect you to take my word for it, perhaps you'll take the Jews words for it though?

In 2001 New York Rabbi David Dalin has proposed that Pope Pius XII be proclaimed "Righteous Among the Nations," the highest award given by the state of Israel to persons outstanding in assisting persecuted Jews during World War II: "More than any other 20th century leader, Pius XII fulfilled this Talmudic tradition, when the fate of European Jewry was at stake. No other Pope had been so widely praised by Jews, and they were not mistaken. Their gratitutde, as well as that of the entire generation of holocaust survivors, testifies that Pius XII was, genuinely and profoundly, a righteous gentile.... Pius XII was not Hitler's pope, but the closest Jews had come to having a papal supporter, and at the moment when it mattered most."

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apologetics/judaism/gratitude.htm

That's a little more telling than a silly wiki link.

Maybe it's best to leave the last word up to someone who was there during it all.

Jeno Levai, who testified at the Eichmann Nazi War Crimes Trial, insisted: "The one person [Pope Pius XII] who did more than anyone else to halt the dreadful crime and alleviate its consequences, is today made the scapegoat for the failures of others"

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Indeed they did, millions of Catholics died at the hands of the Nazis.

I'm not trying to be contentious here, but the Church's complicity in refusing to denounce the events of the early 40's (and it's involvement in these events) is beyond despicable, regardless of the suffering, or the good done by many of it's members at the same time.

To avoid this is not cool.

Having said that I haven't got a problem with what Ratzinger did when he was a kid. I do have a problem with many of his actions as a grown man.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'm not trying to be contentious here, but the Church's complicity in refusing to denounce the events of the early 40's (and it's involvement in these events) is beyond despicable, regardless of the suffering, or the good done by many of it's members at the same time.

To avoid this is not cool.

Having said that I haven't got a problem with what Ratzinger did when he was a kid. I do have a problem with many of his actions as a grown man.

You should read up on Clemens August Graf von Galen, interesting man. He shows the church was not silent as some suggest.

However, it would not have been very smart to draw untoward attention to your actions (saving Jews lives) by openly attacking the Nazi and raising their ire. No, the sensible way was to work though the many partisan underground groups to smuggle people to safety.

Read what the Jews say about the Pope/Church during those times. They give a more balanced view of what was really going on rather than some anti-catholic bigoted rhetoric.

Suggesting they were complicit is like suggesting England under Chamberlain was complicit in appeasing the Nazis in the late 30's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here