Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jose Mourinho - No racism in football

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Black people seem to be genetically built to be better at certain physical activities, as demonstrated in many Olympic games disciplines. Clearly, that doesn't mean that they will make good managers, but it could mean that they are disproportionately represented in football as players, like other sports, due to this genetic advantage.

Very true about the black population's apparent physical abilities. Just watch any high level 100m race. I find it very interesting you can freely make that point though, when if someone was to suggest white people are genetically more intelligent - all hell would break loose.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not sure about racism here or not. Although I think it's a naive to think that no racism exists in football at all, as some have suggested.

What I do find curious, in terms of managers in professional football, is just how much of a merry go round it is with the same old faces seemingly just swapping jobs all the time. Yes, I know new mangers do come through, but not as many as I'd expect, which to me suggests a lack of imagination on the part of chairman. It's a bit like when managers take the same old players with them from club to club - I can see why they do it, but it lacks imagination in many ways I think.

Football can be a very 'matey' game it seems to me. Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know. Again, how race fits into all this I'm not quite sure. Possibly the lack of Asian players within the pro ranks is the most pressing question?

Aug 23, 2011
Very true about the black population's apparent physical abilities. Just watch any high level 100m race. I find it very interesting you can freely make that point though, when if someone was to suggest white people are genetically more intelligent - all hell would break loose.

I did read a hypothesis once about why Jamaica was so good at sprinting and one thing they thought might be a contributing factor is due to the slave trade in so far as the conditions on the ships were horrific at best and only the strongest would survive the gruesome journey especially with Jamaica being one of the last stops the ships made.

Aug 23, 2011
Football management does seem to be very much like an old boys club with the same lot just moving around making it very hard for anyone else to get into it. Maybe football is not racist as such but just an exclusive club (which I think is just as bad).

Ha, it's not just football that's an old boys club. A lot of senior management jobs in business go to people they know although partly it could be taking on someone you know is less risky perhaps

Aug 23, 2011
I'm not sure about racism here or not. Although I think it's a naive to think that no racism exists in football at all, as some have suggested.

What I do find curious, in terms of managers in professional football, is just how much of a merry go round it is with the same old faces seemingly just swapping jobs all the time. Yes, I know new mangers do come through, but not as many as I'd expect, which to me suggests a lack of imagination on the part of chairman. It's a bit like when managers take the same old players with them from club to club - I can see why they do it, but it lacks imagination in many ways I think.

Football can be a very 'matey' game it seems to me. Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know. Again, how race fits into all this I'm not quite sure. Possibly the lack of Asian players within the pro ranks is the most pressing question?

Football is a very money orientated game now and chairpeople are mostly scared of taking risks so take the manager who has had 10 jobs but only succeeded in half thinking its s 50:50 chance of working out rather than going for the unknown. I like that brighton don't do that lately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here