Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jordan Rhodes

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I suppose if Forestieri and Hopper aren't firing then why not spunk another load of cash on someone else on huge wages. *shrug*

Seriously if they do take him not sure Massive will comply with FFP for what is likely to be another season of play off lottery.

Think most of us would have taken any one of those three and the buggers may well have them all.

I think their losses are lower than ours

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's madness BG. They're only 3 points behind Reading and have a better GD. They're joint favourites with Derby (ignoring Newcastle) to beat us to a top 2 finish.

That should really apply to all teams that aren't currently in the top two.

So, apart from Newcastle, which 3 teams do you think are the biggest threat to a top 2 finish for us?

Nobody only ourselves we are within distance and capable of top 2 and only our own dop off of form will change that. and if that happens it becomes anybodys game.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Nobody only ourselves we are within distance and capable of top 2 and only our own dop off of form will change that. and if that happens it becomes anybodys game.

I'd go along with that. I see the pack behind as a peleton, all the time we can keep clear air between us we shouldn't worry. Let them catch us then there are 6 or 7 that can overhaul us.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
This guys turned into a serial January signing. I don't think he had a positive effect on Middlesborough last year at all, they went up despite him, not because of him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

You are right at the moment, BensGrandad. The only way we won't go up is if our form drops off significantly, and whilst that is the case, the only team we ever need to worry about is our own. That said, if form drops off you can analyse the form of our challengers and decide which are a concern.

Look at this link for the past 6 and past 10 games:

http://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england2

Clearly Sheff Weds, Derby and Leeds are the other in form sides. Sheff Weds have just won two local derbies with 3 key players missing, Derby have won 7 of the last 8 and Leeds have ground out results everywhere except at the Amex,

That said, none of them worry me all the while we are winning. Honestly, I can't believe we've just taken 6 points from two tough away games. I just hope we put QPR and Cardiff away as we probably should.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
While I agree that along with Newcastle, we're the team to beat, we could easily drop a few more points than we'd like and we could be passed. So I'm keenly watching our rivals, and you must also feel we want our rivals to drop points, hence you're comment "I would be pleased with that if we do not sign them as they may help take points off our rivals for promotion."

So which rivals do you want Shefwedlol to take points off of?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
You are right at the moment, BensGrandad. The only way we won't go up is if our form drops off significantly, and whilst that is the case, the only team we ever need to worry about is our own. That said, if form drops off you can analyse the form of our challengers and decide which are a concern.

Look at this link for the past 6 and past 10 games:

http://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england2

Clearly Sheff Weds, Derby and Leeds are the other in form sides. Sheff Weds have just won two local derbies with 3 key players missing, Derby have won 7 of the last 8 and Leeds have ground out results everywhere except at the Amex,

That said, none of them worry me all the while we are winning. Honestly, I can't believe we've just taken 6 points from two tough away games. I just hope we put QPR and Cardiff away as we probably should.

Anything is possible mate. Didn't Reading a few years back win 16 of final 20? If any team matches that currently in the top 10, then that is promotion assured.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
While I agree that along with Newcastle, we're the team to beat, we could easily drop a few more points than we'd like and we could be passed. So I'm keenly watching our rivals, and you must also feel we want our rivals to drop points, hence you're comment "I would be pleased with that if we do not sign them as they may help take points off our rivals for promotion."

So which rivals do you want Shefwedlol to take points off of?

I want the 6 teams behind us all to draw with each other and if JR can score the goal that gets a draw that would be good news for us especially if Wed draw with the other 5 teams.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
This guys turned into a serial January signing. I don't think he had a positive effect on Middlesborough last year at all, they went up despite him, not because of him.

Agreed. People highlight certain stats about Rhodes but the fact is at the end of our bad run we were 11 point behind Middlesbrough with a game in hand. By the end of the season they were above us on goal difference. Doesn't suggest he was brilliant.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agreed. People highlight certain stats about Rhodes but the fact is at the end of our bad run we were 11 point behind Middlesbrough with a game in hand. By the end of the season they were above us on goal difference. Doesn't suggest he was brilliant.

He contributed to many of the points they gained to beat us on GD scoring equalisers and winning goals so they would probably consider the investment worthwhile.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I read somewhere they were lining up Scott Hogan (£9m) and paying for this by selling Gestede to WBA (£7m). Cracking piece of business if that happens as Gestede is very ordinary IMO.

Gustede is ordinary I agree, but The Guardian have been reporting that our friends up the road are in for him but now M'Boro have joined the chase, with Villa looking to take Rhodes from them. They also say Ulloa is on Palace's radar.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rough-crystal-palace-aston-villa-rudy-gestede

Now if I were a Palace fan I would be most underwhelmed to sign Gustede.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gustede is ordinary I agree, but The Guardian have been reporting that our friends up the road are in for him but now M'Boro have joined the chase, with Villa looking to take Rhodes from them. They also say Ulloa is on Palace's radar.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rough-crystal-palace-aston-villa-rudy-gestede

Now if I were a Palace fan I would be most underwhelmed to sign Gustede.

Fingers crossed that's who they get. I'd be properly pissed off if they got Ulloa, except to say I could actually see him being a disaster there.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Last season - league and cup
Jordan Rhodes = 6 goals from 18 games for Middlesboro = 1 goal every 3 games
Tomer Hemed = 20 goals from 49 games for Brighton = 1 goal every 2.45 games

Ergo, Hemed will score goals in this division and someone will benefit from his contribution...

Why are you being so selective with Rhodes? He's played 300+ games and scored 160+ goals and he's still 26. He's as proven a goalscorer in this division as they come.

Hemed has played has roughly the same amount of games but scored half the amount of goals. Hemed's best goalscoring season was when he scored 18 goals - Rhodes has bettered that 6 times, and you're also overlooking the fact he bagged 11 goals for Blackburn before he joined Boro - they both scored 16 goals in the Championship.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Anything is possible mate. Didn't Reading a few years back win 16 of final 20? If any team matches that currently in the top 10, then that is promotion assured.

Nah. Naaarch currently sit in tenth on 33 points games. If they lose their next four (to get them to 26 games played) and then win 16 out of their final 20, they end up on 81 points, which will be nothing like enough for top 2.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Why are you being so selective with Rhodes? He's played 300+ games and scored 160+ goals and he's still 26. He's as proven a goalscorer in this division as they come.

Hemed has played has roughly the same amount of games but scored half the amount of goals. Hemed's best goalscoring season was when he scored 18 goals - Rhodes has bettered that 6 times, and you're also overlooking the fact he bagged 11 goals for Blackburn before he joined Boro - they both scored 16 goals in the Championship.

I'm not being selective with Rhodes per se, but the inference here was that if we splash the cash on a goalscorer, like Rhodes, then that will guarantee us promotion. I was simply demonstrating that Rhodes, in this case, was not necessarily pulling up trees when he moved to 'Boro.

I believe we have the depth in the squad, as is, and don't believe that we MUST buy a new striker to achieve promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here