Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jools Holland rhythm & blues orchestra.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Thinking of going and he often 'plays' Buxton opera house and it appears he tends to play the smaller compact venues,maybe hoping to create a vibrant sound ? However has anyone seen him and the band play and what is your veiw ? :wave:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If you like that sort of music - which i do - he's great. better live than on the TV. And when his educated left hand comes in to play with some real boogie-woogie, you might realise why BB King indicated once that he has the best laft hand in the business.

Now how long before some lame mutt comes up with a dubious interpretation of that.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Was dragged along to one of these last year went under protest and I have to say it was fantastic really good show

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
We go to see the JHR&BO every year in mid December at the Brighton Centre - not exactly a small venue. It's excellent entertainment; you can't beat live music.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I went to see him at Borde Hill Gardens a few years back, Ruby Turner and lulu as guests, quite dispiriting all in all. Played lots of songs which meant nothing,I thought with a big orchestra backing him he would be doing some classic R&B songs but left feeling rather empty.

Avoid.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I used to book him regularly for university gigs and he was always great value.

You never knew who and how many would turn up - he used to meet up with the band at a nearby motorway services before the gig and agree the set but you would have thought they had been rehearsing endlessly. Serious quality musicians all of them :thumbsup:

Thoroughly recommended.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
seen him probably 8 times live ... usually open air venues but "did" the Brighton Centre this Christmas as well.

Brilliant. Nuff said. Plus he had my guilty pleasure K T Tunstall supporting him last time :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep went to the centre before Christmas to see him. It was brilliant.

The drum solo, which normally I can take or leave was just excellent.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Saw him last year in Linz - amazed he actually came out here to play where he is virtually unknown.

Gilson's drumming was worth the ticket price alone. The rest was entertaining enough - guest singers included Marc Almond.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I tend to bring out my educated left hand when the girlfriend goes to the toilet. Sometimes involves a drum solo too.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
He's playing the Love Supreme Jazz Festival at Glynde in July.

I once saw them at Kew Gardens and they know how to get a gig going. Recommended.

[name drop] I once played a gig with his brother Chris, who plays Hammond Organ in the Big Band [/name drop]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here