jones and hughton just proved how bad sami was

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Let's not kid ourselves we were any good yesterday! We were completely over-run for the first hour - Brentford should have been three up at half time. The tactic of playing Baldock in the Ashley Barnes position didn't work - we were constantly exposed down our left, and I was amazed it took over an hour to change things. Chicksen was completely out-classed, and there was little in the way of effective support for him. The worst thing was the poor passing, the hoofing of the ball to CMS, who had no hope, and the way we continually let Brentford walk the ball to the edge of our area with little in the way of challenge.

Thankfully, we finally made some changes, and HEY PRESTO things changed!

And CMS surely must be relegated back to League One now….he just doesn't have the skill or physical presence to succeed in the Championship.

This is certainly the description I had of yesterday's game. Some fans getting well and truly carried away.

One thing I will say though is, a wins a win. But a lot of work this January needs to be done on and off the pitch

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Yes I agree about cms and I get the distinct feeling he knows it .In defence of him I think the reason he has been played so much is because he does run around and he pulls players towards him and leaves others unmarked ,but apart from that he is lacking I am sorry to say .

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Who was pulling the strings yesterday, Hughton or Jones? or combination.

Let's not kid ourselves we were any good yesterday! We were completely over-run for the first hour - Brentford should have been three up at half time. The tactic of playing Baldock in the Ashley Barnes position didn't work - we were constantly exposed down our left, and I was amazed it took over an hour to change things. Chicksen was completely out-classed, and there was little in the way of effective support for him. The worst thing was the poor passing, the hoofing of the ball to CMS, who had no hope, and the way we continually let Brentford walk the ball to the edge of our area with little in the way of challenge.

Thankfully, we finally made some changes, and HEY PRESTO things changed!

And CMS surely must be relegated back to League One now….he just doesn't have the skill or physical presence to succeed in the Championship.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Just seen the highlights. Not sure I agree with some posters that said it was a good performance.....battling as you rightly say.

January is a huge month for us on the pitch and in the transfer market. As you say, onwards and hopefully upwards.

Most encouraging thing about yesterday was the way we changed the game. Firstly, at half time whatever Hughton and Jones said seemed to work and they weren't as dominant. Then the substitutions completely changed the game and they couldn't deal with O'Grady. We could have had 5 or 6 in the last 25 minutes.

None of this would have happened under Hyypia. We always struggled massively at the start of the second half and substitutions never seemed to have the desired effect. It may not have been the perfect performance but we're going to have games like that for the rest of the season and if we can win a few of them, we're going to do okay. You can't dominate every game but we weren't lucky yesterday. We were the team who hit the post twice, not Brentford. And we had as many shots on target as them, despite their dominance.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
We rode our luck for the first 60 mins, and could easily have been 1 or 2 down. The final 30 mins we were on top, hit the post, one off the line and two late goals. We were weak down left side and lacked threat up front until last 30 mins.

I.e we went for the win. Excellent improvement :clap:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Three short weeks ago we would have lost that game yesterday.

I would always expect home teams to dominate a game in their own back yard and I've seen it so many times in football where the away team holds out til half time and go on and win 2-0.

We now have to become dominant at home and start being a lot more direct.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Did Bloom really want Sami to stay - or was there a meeting where they agreed it wasn't working, Sami said he didn't appriciate more games at the Amex where he was gonna get some stick, and the official line they used was 'resigned' after a compensation package was agreed... I wonder...

I am inclined to agree. Plus, we came out of it looking quite well. Willing to back a manager and not one of those clubs to change at the hint of discourse shown by the fans.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Just seen the highlights. Not sure I agree with some posters that said it was a good performance.....battling as you rightly say.

January is a huge month for us on the pitch and in the transfer market. As you say, onwards and hopefully upwards.

It depends on what you mean by good performance. By no stretch of the imagination was it Peterborough away in 2010, but compared with recent games, it was a good performance. The team, by and large, kept its shape and tried to battle its way into the game in the first half against a very skilful and mobile Brentford side. As other posters have said, we were better in the second half and on top once CH/NJ had made the substitutions and tactical changes. Coming on the heels of the Fulham game, it certainly looks like there is something to build on.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It depends on what you mean by good performance. By no stretch of the imagination was it Peterborough away in 2010, but compared with recent games, it was a good performance. The team, by and large, kept its shape and tried to battle its way into the game in the first half against a very skilful and mobile Brentford side. As other posters have said, we were better in the second half and on top once CH/NJ had made the substitutions and tactical changes. Coming on the heels of the Fulham game, it certainly looks like there is something to build on.

I think with a few additions and CH settling in and finding his best team we'll be fine.

we certainly need 4-5 players though IMO

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I think with a few additions and CH settling in and finding his best team we'll be fine.

we certainly need 4-5 players though IMO

Short term, two, I think. An experienced head in midfield and someone we can rely on to get 10-15 goals between now and the end of the season. That should see us safe.

Beyond that, I am happy to let CH run his eye over the squad and make some requests towards the end of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports