Jonathan Kodjia - Should we go for him?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I am not convinced we did actually bid for Calleri but assuming what a lot of other people are saying is true then that bid equalled what was bid for Dwight Gayle

It does. But a bid of that level for a guy who's scored 16 goals for a top Argentine team and a bid for a guy who's four years older and who has scored goals at a considerable slower rate are two separate things.

I'm not convinced we've bid for Calleri either but £6.5m sounds a bit cheap to me: I'm sure he'll end up costing more than that

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm not convinced Bristol City were seriously bidding for Gayle ( or Rhodes ), and I think it was all just good club PR rumours to sell a few season tickets.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
A half season loan for Leo Ulloa in January and we will go up.
It is that simple..

Leicester made it clear to clubs chasing Ulloa in the summer that a loan was not acceptable, only a purchase.
In January we need players that can step straight into the Championship/Premier League to get us over the line.
With money still outstanding from the transfer and any further add ons that may kick in, we must be ahead of the queue for this one.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
A half season loan for Leo Ulloa in January and we will go up.

It is that simple.

No need to try and get Kodija, who won't be for sale to a Championship club anyway.

I completely agree with you. We are a decent striker from Auto Promotion. Ulloa would be insane in this side.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
All entitled to our own opinions of course.
However, based on current form, at the end of the season, Baldock has 7 Goals whilst Hemed bags 19.

The proof's in the current scoreboard:
Baldock 2 - 5 Hemed

Baldocks movement is in a different class to any of our current strikers, he is really a very clever player. Agreed he needs to score more, hopefully yesterdays OG will give him a much needed confidence boost.

Baldock is on par with Zamora (how many minutes has Zamora played?) and behind Stephens and LuaLua.

Again, I must state that I do like Baldock, I just hope starts scoring a few more goals.

Baldocks movement and runs are a class above all the strikers we currently have, I think he is a really clever footballer. More goals of course would be welcome and needed. Hopefully yesterdays "OG" will give him a much needed confidence boost infront of goal.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
According to a very good source of mine there were only two players we actually failed to get, where we made really concerted efforts to get. There was a large list compiled early on but that got whittled down well in advance of making moves for the players we did go for.

Also, his goal scoring record is not that great. Brighton

Hmmm.
Im hoping that this isn't the same source that you get most of your insights from. I have heard that only one of our summer signings was the first choice target.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
We desperately need a striker.

Hemed did very little last night, and Baldock missed 2 absolute sitters. Defender should never have had a chance of clearing the 2nd off the line. The 'goal' wasn't his either, it was an own goal, Baldock missed the ball.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Baldocks movement and runs are a class above all the strikers we currently have, I think he is a really clever footballer. More goals of course would be welcome and needed. Hopefully yesterdays "OG" will give him a much needed confidence boost infront of goal.

Absolutely.
I do think our strikers all work well together.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Really? I think Baldock is an excellent footballer.

I did do, but this season has changed my opinion.

Good movement but just an absolutely shocking finisher, and there is no doubt in my mind, that if we had a player who could score a third of the chances that come Baldocks way, we would be much better off.

I believe someone else highlighted the stick Ashley Barnes got for missing chances, well Baldock makes Barnes look prolific in comparison.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hmmm.
Im hoping that this isn't the same source that you get most of your insights from. I have heard that only one of our summer signings was the first choice target.

I think you know where some of my info comes from. The part I have highlighted I don't think is true. I did not know who we were after until negotiations were quite far down the line and even then I only knew 2 of them beforehand.

You may be correct that early enquiries on others were rebuffed but as soon as we went in with serious offers then only 2 apparently failed to materialize.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
According to Naylor in the Argus today he was on our radar last Summer
Well we should have signed him. Too late now, Bristol won't let him leave to a Championship club.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I did do, but this season has changed my opinion.

Good movement but just an absolutely shocking finisher, and there is no doubt in my mind, that if we had a player who could score a third of the chances that come Baldocks way, we would be much better off.

I believe someone else highlighted the stick Ashley Barnes got for missing chances, well Baldock makes Barnes look prolific in comparison.

Its baldocks movement that gets him into the positions to score.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand what all the fuss is about. How many goals did he score? None Did our defenders cope with him reasonably well? Yes so what is all the big deal. I thought that he was ok but nothing special to rave over, I have seen better in this division that I would sooner have.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
We've got Murphy and Manu to come into the side, as well as BZ in his super-sub role.

Plus Lua Lua makes a difference to the attack as well; the positive results ( but not necessarily a more positive goal difference) have continued despite his absence.

Hemed has had a busy time with two internationals, so needs to be cut some slack.

We have Harper and Hambo, potentially, to help drag us through the winter fixtures. They will certainly be up for it, when their chances come.

Add Callieri into the mix and anyone can be forgiven for getting excited.

Baldock, despite not scoring much, is an integral part of the Brighton team spine, which keeps getting results.

Hopefully soon, we will score a hatful of goals in a fixture and put this debate to rest ( stuffing Jeff Stelling's comments about us, back down his throat in the process)

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Anyone called Codger would make me feel good. Baldock and Codger sound like the two guys in the Muppets, striking fear into opponents defences. If we can't go and start nicking people when we are top of the league when can we?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I cannot understand what all the fuss is about. How many goals did he score? None Did our defenders cope with him reasonably well? Yes so what is all the big deal. I thought that he was ok but nothing special to rave over, I have seen better in this division that I would sooner have.

Do tell who you have in mind.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We are going for the premiership and at the moment we are in a better position than any other club in this division. Perhaps if we are going to buy then we also need to look to see whether they might be capable of doing something next season?

Not counting chickens but I'd wait to see if the Boca pair situations develops in January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports