Jonathan Kodjia - Should we go for him?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
According to Naylor in the Argus today he was on our radar last Summer

He is making that up. If he was on our radar we would have got him. We have better training facilities. We could have matched anything Bristol City offered and our manager is a lot more high profile than theirs. Add to that the fact that Brighton is a much nicer place to live and easier travel back to France where his family live, I think Naylor sees a player and then talks through his backside in hindsight.

According to a very good source of mine there were only two players we actually failed to get, where we made really concerted efforts to get. There was a large list compiled early on but that got whittled down well in advance of making moves for the players we did go for.

Also, his goal scoring record is not that great. Brighton

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Gosh, how poetic. Or did you borrow it from somewhere else...... which wouldn't necessarily make it any less poetic - just not original.

Not knowingly borrowed, though it's probably cobbled together from other things I've heard at some point. That Mark Twain thing about there being no new original ideas probably applies.

But I am in a poetic mood if that helps at all, and I put that down to the glow I've still got from Bobby's goal last night.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Yeah I really enjoyed watching his performance last night, notwithstanding the palpitations he gave me whenever he breezed away from our defence like a whisper of a memory on a warm summer breeze.

Decent shot on him and all.

A veritable Will o' the Wisp whose touch was as light as a maiden's caress in a balmy evening's tryst; his movement unfathomable as a riddle within an enigma; was he really there, or was he just the unknowable spirit of something beyond our mortal understanding? Should we sign him? Perhaps.....but then again - perhaps not if he has this effect on us........!!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Not knowingly borrowed, though it's probably cobbled together from other things I've heard at some point. That Mark Twain thing about there being no new original ideas probably applies.

But I am in a poetic mood if that helps at all, and I put that down to the glow I've still got from Bobby's goal last night.

Nuff Respect. I am perfectly happy to accept it as original. I was just checking if I might have missed an obvious reference.
#appreciatingwordsmithery

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A half season loan for Leo Ulloa in January and we will go up.

It is that simple.

No need to try and get Kodija, who won't be for sale to a Championship club anyway.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
J
He is making that up. If he was on our radar we would have got him. We have better training facilities. We could have matched anything Bristol City offered and our manager is a lot more high profile than theirs. Add to that the fact that Brighton is a much nicer place to live and easier travel back to France where his family live, I think Naylor sees a player and then talks through his backside in hindsight.

According to a very good source of mine there were only two players we actually failed to get, where we made really concerted efforts to get. There was a large list compiled early on but that got whittled down well in advance of making moves for the players we did go for.

A better position to pick up Also, his goal scoring record is not that great. Brighton

Where were you last season, when despite all your quoted attributes of BHA , several approached players spurned our offers and decided to go elsewhere. It really has nothing to do with which club and its ambience, it's mostly (sadly) how much we are going to pay them. And if Kodjia and as likely his agent were going to pocket more money elsewhere that's where they'd have gone. As much as we might love our club, pro footballers might not. But the good news, I think, is that we are probably a more attractive proposition for players now whilst we are in a position that offers promotion to the premier, than wallowing near relegation.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
What about Hemed who did absolutely nothing last night.

He's done nothing for a couple of games. He's a good solid Championship player who I'm sure will get us 10-12 goals this year (he had a cracking start) but you see the difference in class when someone as experienced as Bobby Z comes off the bench.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Take into account the last 12 games.
Baldock was clearly the better striker last night, but overall...

Not saying I don't like Baldock, I think he's decent, very happy to have him here.

I strongly disagree, Baldock is far more versatile whilst Hemed is just a lump the odd ball might glance off. He might get 10 goals off his arse this season but that's it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
What about Hemed who did absolutely nothing last night.

I was one of a few thousand on the receiving end of his insistence to cheer and sing as he thrusted his macho hands skywards. Other than that though, a tad anonymous. I wish, in the first half, though, he'd taken a shot instead of doing a dummy shot that the onrushing non-dunkesque defender didn't fall for. I reckon he has a net-bulger in him (fnar, ding dong), so one fierce beauty ought to re-open the floodgates for him. I hope the same of Baldock - if he is actually not going to claim that own-goal last night - and he starts to know where the corner of the net is rather than the centre.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He is making that up. If he was on our radar we would have got him. We have better training facilities. We could have matched anything Bristol City offered ...

According to a very good source of mine there were only two players we actually failed to get, where we made really concerted efforts to get.

To be fair to Naylor, being "on our radar" and making a bid are not exactly the same thing. He could well have been someone we watched and decided against bidding for - that doesn't make what AN said inaccurate.

I'm not convinced either that we could match City on any player. They put in a bid of £6 to £10m for Gayle - I'd be staggered if we'd have come close to matching that

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
To be fair to Naylor, being "on our radar" and making a bid are not exactly the same thing. He could well have been someone we watched and decided against bidding for - that doesn't make what AN said inaccurate.

I'm not convinced either that we could match City on any player. They put in a bid of £6 to £10m for Gayle - I'd be staggered if we'd have come close to matching that

I am not convinced we did actually bid for Calleri but assuming what a lot of other people are saying is true then that bid equalled what was bid for Dwight Gayle

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I strongly disagree, Baldock is far more versatile whilst Hemed is just a lump the odd ball might glance off. He might get 10 goals off his arse this season but that's it.

All entitled to our own opinions of course.
However, based on current form, at the end of the season, Baldock has 7 Goals whilst Hemed bags 19.

The proof's in the current scoreboard:
Baldock 2 - 5 Hemed

Baldock is on par with Zamora (how many minutes has Zamora played?) and behind Stephens and LuaLua.

Again, I must state that I do like Baldock, I just hope starts scoring a few more goals.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
However, based on current form, at the end of the season, Baldock has 7 Goals whilst Hemed bags 19.

Baldock 2 - 5 Hemed

Baldock is on par with Zamora (how many minutes has Zamora played?) and behind Stephens and LuaLua.

Again, I must state that I do like Baldock, I just hope starts scoring a few more goals.

Baldock does have 2 assists this season as well- including that ridiculous run to set up Kayal's goal at Huddersfield of course- and one of Hemed's goals was a penno.

As I've said before, I think I'd have Baldock and Calleri as the front two if we were to sign him or a similar striker in January. I really rate him.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Baldock 2 - 5 Hemed

One of the highest goalscoresrs to play in the Championship was Neil Harris and whilst harris was a very good finisher. The man creating a lot of his chances was Richard Sadlier - Steve Claridge scored his biggest tally of goals in a season when he played alongside Sadlier as well, sparking him to say that Sadlier was the best player he ever played alongside.

So for me I am happy for Baldock to be the provider and for Hemed to hit the back of the net. The both have their roles to play in the team. Just different roles

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Baldock does have 2 assists this season as well- including that ridiculous run to set up Kayal's goal at Huddersfield of course- and one of Hemed's goals was a penno.

As I've said before, I think I'd have Baldock and Calleri as the front two if we were to sign him or a similar striker in January. I really rate him.

One of the highest goalscoresrs to play in the Championship was Neil Harris and whilst harris was a very good finisher. The man creating a lot of his chances was Richard Sadlier - Steve Claridge scored his biggest tally of goals in a season when he played alongside Sadlier as well, sparking him to say that Sadlier was the best player he ever played alongside.

So for me I am happy for Baldock to be the provider and for Hemed to hit the back of the net. The both have their roles to play in the team. Just different roles

I don't think anyone's disputing the effort, assists and other roles Baldock plays each week.
This is simply stating goal figures.

Nothing more, nothing less.
See Post #24

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports