Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Johnson to bring back Imperial units to honour the queen

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So, we were all so brilliant at maths in the olden days were we? If so why has nobody ever commented on the classic movie, 20,000 leagues under the sea? That's 60,000 miles. The diameter of the earth is around 4,000 miles. FFS!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Thousand_Leagues_Under_the_Seas

Is it not that they travelled 20,000 leagues whilst under the sea, rather than they went down 20,000 leagues?

Edit: and you have given the radius as the diameter

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Pounds, shillings and pence aren't really part of this debate. We changed to new pence (100 to the pound) years before we joined the EEC, and we kept the pound sterling anyway, so there's nothing to re-introduce.
Even if we did go back to £sd, such has been inflation in the last 53 years that the smallest value coin would probably be the florin (two shillings, or 10 pence) - or maybe the one shilling (five pence) - so effectively there would be no 'd's involved in £sd.

Yes, it would just be pounds and shillings, with no need for pence. So all in all a complete waste of time, money and brain cells. They do like a good waste of money this government.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
It's almost as if they come up with these ridiculous things as a distraction du jour.

Bit like Gove's bizarre TV interview last week. I seem to remember that dominating social media for a day or so.

Or Nadine Dorries doing anything.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
So what exactly would be the scope of this change....

Sweet Shops, Butchers and Green Grocers ?
The scope of this change would be universal. All the places where it is currently a criminal offence to use imperial measu,will now have freedom to choose.

I don't see why it's controversial. They aren't thinking of a 180 degree change to make imperial compulsory and metric criminal, though obviously the people who support the status quo would agree with the principle even though they would hate the practice. No, all this is about is removing a pointless criminal offence from the statute books.

No need to worry about schools. They were teaching metric and only metric, long before the criminalisation of the use of imperial measures.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The scope of this change would be universal. All the places where it is currently a criminal offence to use imperial measu,will now have freedom to choose.

I don't see why it's controversial. They aren't thinking of a 180 degree change to make imperial compulsory and metric criminal, though obviously the people who support the status quo would agree with the principle even though they would hate the practice. No, all this is about is removing a pointless criminal offence from the statute books.

No need to worry about schools. They were teaching metric and only metric, long before the criminalisation of the use of imperial measures.

Where is it a criminal offence to use imperial measures ?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Where is it a criminal offence to use imperial measures ?

In shops, for example. If Mr Shopkeeper advertises his jelly babies at so much per quarter, he is committing a criminal offence.

(McDonald's get away with their quarterpounder because they registered it as a trade name, and no council had the nerve to challenge it. But it was discussed. )

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
In shops, for example. If Mr Shopkeeper advertises his jelly babies at so much per quarter, he is committing a criminal offence.

That isn't true, it's a myth. Let's look at the law.

Units of measurement

You must use metric measurements (grams, kilograms, millilitres or litres) when selling packaged or loose goods in England, Scotland or Wales.

The only products you can sell in imperial measures are:

draught beer or cider by pint
milk in returnable containers by pint
precious metals by troy ounce

You can display an imperial measurement alongside the metric measurement but it cannot stand out more than the metric measurement.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This smacks of desperation by the PM, but it's true to form. He spent years making up stories about "straight bananas" as a journalist.

Although once those myths are embedded, it's quite easy for people to fall for it (see above).

"Choice" around weights and measures, completely misunderstands why we have them in the first place. Nothing to with "choice" but consistency that protects the consumer which is why we'd had rules in place long before the EU even existed.

Where was the public outcry when that Landlord got prosecuted for failing to sell his beer in pints ?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Seems a bit pointless. Metrics been with us for decades, I don't imagine many people will suddenly revert to using imperial measurements. Maybe a few over 80's and the odd Farage disciple.

It all seems rather meaningless and empty symbolism much like changing the colour of the U.K passport to blue. No one cares a great deal other than a very few.

Still, it's not hurting anyone so...:shrug:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
That isn't true, it's a myth. Let's look at the law.

Units of measurement

You must use metric measurements (grams, kilograms, millilitres or litres) when selling packaged or loose goods in England, Scotland or Wales.

The only products you can sell in imperial measures are:

draught beer or cider by pint
milk in returnable containers by pint
precious metals by troy ounce

You can display an imperial measurement alongside the metric measurement but it cannot stand out more than the metric measurement.

Perhaps you misread my post, because I didn't say that Mr. Shopkeeper was advertising in metric at all. But even if he was, if he puts up a sign that says "Butterscotch £1 per quarter " and his metric sign isn't quite as big, then he is committing a criminal offence. Why on earth should it be criminal?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Perhaps you misread my post, because I didn't say that Mr. Shopkeeper was advertising in metric at all. But even if he was, if he puts up a sign that says "Butterscotch £1 per quarter " and his metric sign isn't quite as big, then he is committing a criminal offence. Why on earth should it be criminal?

Your posts are quite clear for everyone to read.

They aren't thinking of a 180 degree change to make imperial compulsory and metric criminal..

There can't be a 180 degree change because imperial was never criminalised.

Just be honest, you misunderstood the law.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Yet you can go into Burger King or McDonalds and order a quarter pounder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here