Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Johnson to bring back Imperial units to honour the queen

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Last time I bought an ounce I had a great time so he might be on to something.. :smokin:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
About as likely to click on a grauniad link as I am a mail one, so I appreciate the commentary.

It was posted as evidence. Just in case anyone thought I was making it all up :thumbsup:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Attachments

• Johnson 2.JPG
    Johnson 2.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 268

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
for something thats an obvious distraction pandering to a small group, its going to get a lot of people irate. ignore it. so they'll allow measurements to be in imperial alongside metric. it wont matter a button for anyone except a few market stall holders who'll be allowed to shout "paaand" again.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You always could sell by the pound, just had to include the metric equivalent, 454g is usually the stated weight equivalent, which is a smidge over a pound. This is what Boris means when he keeps asking everyone to move on from x, y, or z scandal, "So we can get on with the real job of running the country", important stuff like this. He should take a furlong walk off an 8 chain pier.

Rees-Mogg will be upset that he isn't proposing a return to the Winchester Standards.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
for something thats an obvious distraction pandering to a small group, its going to get a lot of people irate. ignore it. so they'll allow measurements to be in imperial alongside metric. it wont matter a button for anyone except a few market stall holders who'll be allowed to shout "paaand" again.

If of course, they could be arsed to hunt out and then buy imperial scales to sit alongside their metric ones for anyone under the age of 50

Just when you think it has reached it's zenith, completely new levels of pure idiocy :lolol:

*edit* and that was before I read the first few responses to the OP :wink:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
That pr*ck Johnson and his fops are happy to arrogantly say 'let's move on from Party Gate to more important things', and then they turn
their attention to this trivial, jingoistic bollox.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I thought Big Dog was determined to get on with the big issues post partygate, not coming up with throwing out scraps of toxic red meat; it's pathetic.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Most countries try and move forward, this one seems determined to move in the opposite direction.

Just as well most TV channels are now 24 hour or he would no doubt be lobbying to play the National Anthem when they shut down

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can do pints for milk and beer.

I can do height in feet and inches.

The rest is all from Mars to me.

Unless my memory is playing tricks I remember petrol being sold in gallons and there being UPROAR when it went above £1 per gallon - it would now be over £8 a gallon !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh Harry, I'm surprised at you falling for this distraction and dead cat.

Britain went metric in 1962 under Harold MacMillan a Conservative Prime Minister.
Even the American Imperial system is a different system to our old one.

On the other hand, I have found out that a scruple is a measurement.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...mperial-measurements-to-mark-platinum-jubilee

I see there is no thread on this. Presumably because when people heard about it they theought it must be a late April Fool joke.

Even if this is just a gesture, if shops are truly going to be able to use pounds, yards, bushels etc., kids will nead to learn this shit in schools.

I can't see this going into the national curriculum, so presumably nothing will actually change. It will be a case of 'you can sell coal by the hundred weight if you want to'. Just another tummy tickle to the sort of bloke who rang up Nicky Campbell this morning to announce that 'The best thing about this country is the Royal Family'.

Anyway, I have been waiting for the start of the Brexit Benefits*, so I guess this is one and I should be celebratin', like.

Hang on. We were able to buy beer in pints and petrol in gallons during our enslavement to the EU, weren't we? Or was that all a dream? ???

When did you last buy a gallon on petrol? It's been sold by the litre for years.

Imperial measures have never really gone away - they've been used unofficially (and sometimes illegally, resulting in prosecution) and sometimes side by side with metric. The proposals appear to be only to allow people to use imperial measures, not to make them compulsory, or to compulsorily replace metric.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Most countries try and move forward, this one seems determined to move in the opposite direction.

Just as well most TV channels are now 24 hour or he would no doubt be lobbying to play the National Anthem when they shut down

One of the fools did. Andrew Rosindell wanted it played at midnight every night, and then carry on broadcasting.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I thought Big Dog was determined to get on with the big issues post partygate, not coming up with throwing out scraps of toxic red meat; it's pathetic.

The Dog's bollox :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here