Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnson Quits as England Manager (Merged)

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
In my opinion this is not good for English Rugby. Who else is there currently able to take over the job?

Graham Henry
Shaun Edwards
Moore

Theres not many?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think it's great news and he should have gone straight after the inept performances in the WC. Now go and get a Southern Hemisphere coach. Preferably one who is not obsessed with the forwards. I'm sure we could have way more flair in the 3/4 line than we have seen. Attrition rugby may get results but Christ it's boring, I'd like to see us at least match the Welsh and Irish in flair from the backs.

Last edited:

In my opinion this is not good for English Rugby. Who else is there currently able to take over the job?

Graham Henry
Shaun Edwards
Moore

Theres not many?

Edwards has just signed a new contract with Wales.

It seems to me that the job is very poorly specified. Is he the head coach, or is he responsible for managing all aspects of the players lives? It seems to me that the two jobs previously filled by Martin Johnson and Rob Andrew are needed, but I think there needs to be a shift in emphasis. Bring in one man to look at the big picture, like Graham Henry. Then bring in a head coach, like Edwards (who are the viable alternatives?), appointed by Henry, to run the England side. Then, if necessary (if Henry wants it - if the coach wants it he can approach Henry to make the final decision) appoint a 'team manager', similar to what the England cricket side have, who is responsible for logistics and behaviour.

Johnson never convinced me that he was building for the future - it was always for the now. Bring in someone with vision who will look to the next WC, rather than the 2012 Six Nations.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I agree with [MENTION=3697]sten_super[/MENTION]. We need someone to take temporary charge until the 6 nations finishes. Following the 6 natins the RFU needs to plan for the future, including the appointment of a manager/coach who can develop the players between now and the 2015 World Cup. They also need to sort their own shit out, including the management of the England manager and the development of young players. Most importantly, the RFU needs to cut out all of the internal politics - the people at the top of an organisation set the agenda for the entire organisation. If the people at the top lack direction, the rest of the organisation will follow.

I suspect Mallinder from Northampton will be interested in any head coach/manager type post.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Johnson was a magnificent player but hasn't cut the mustard as coach.

The England management blew it by twice failing to sign up Shaun Edwards. He was our best hope. What a mess.

I wonder how many calls there will be for Clive Woodward to make a return.

Am looking forward to reading Johnny Wilkinson's new biog, might reveal a few inside truths about Johnson's man management, although Johnny is one of his boys so may not want to knife him, but someone will.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I think it's great news and he should have gone straight after the inept performances in the WC. Now go and get a Southern Hemisphere coach. Preferably one who is not obsessed with the forwards. I'm sure we could have way more flair in the 3/4 line than we have seen. Attrition rugby may get results but Christ it's boring, I'd like to see us at least match the Welsh and Irish in flair from the backs.

I tend to agree with what you said, the thing with Johnson is that he just had tha aura about him and I m not sure that could be replaced, saying that, it never got us anywhere in the WC!! but we did win the 6 nations!!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good. His team lacked skill and discipline.

Shaun Edwards please.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a shame more of the players didn't take responsibility like this for their own campaign on and off the pitch.

Every time I see them on TV, they are blaming everyone else but themselves. This was probably inevitable, but feel a bit sorry for Johnno, he has given his country superb service and even though he may not have been a great coach, he was badly let down.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Somewhat inevitable. Can't help but think he was let down by some of his players at the World Cup.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Martin Johnson Quits England Job.

Great player,but wrong for the England job.Should have got some experience in managing club rugby first.Not helped by the general shambles throughout the higher echelons of 'rugby management' that exist at the moment.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
He was totally let down by the players, but the way it was handled was poor also, Tindall comes home and gets deselected it should not have happened when England got back to the UK, if his actions were that bad to warrant being deselected from England then surely he should have been sent home instantly, that for me was when i realised what a joke the whole world cup had become.

That said Tindall is now appealing

Also Rob Andrew seems to be a know it all, why dont he have a go at it

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Sorry,didn't see existing thread,can mods get rid! Ta!

I have merged both threads :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
That said Tindall is now appealing
I would appeal too, if my employer partly-paid for me to have a night out, and then disciplined me for my drunken antics. Regardless of Tindall's stupidity, the RFU booked an area in the club and paid for some of the drinks by setting up a tab. They should therefore share the blame.

Also Rob Andrew seems to be a know it all, why dont he have a go at it
This also annoys me - who manages Rob Andrew? He seems to have loads of responsibility, yet doesn't appear to be accountable to anyone. This is endemic of the chaos at the top of the RFU at the moment.

He was far too committed to the olders players that he captained which led to poor judgement calls over the partying and boozing. .
Great player but not so good as a coach or manager.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Graeme Henry is the man for the job.

The experience of Johnno shows how hard it is to be England Manager with no formal coaching experience or qualifications. It's incredible to think that Johnno - who's professionalism and discipline as a player were excellent - would have so many problems keeping his England squad in check on and off the field.

England's main problem is their knack of conceding penalties. A change in the coaching staff should rectify this. Johnno and his team had no answer.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I would appeal too, if my employer partly-paid for me to have a night out, and then disciplined me for my drunken antics. Regardless of Tindall's stupidity, the RFU booked an area in the club and paid for some of the drinks by setting up a tab. They should therefore share the blame.

This also annoys me - who manages Rob Andrew? He seems to have loads of responsibility, yet doesn't appear to be accountable to anyone. This is endemic of the chaos at the top of the RFU at the moment.

Rob Andrew seems to be accountable to......................

Rob Andrew!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here