Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
_40730814_johnspicer_getty203.jpg

Only £25k, could have been worth it.

Burnley set to tie up Spicer deal

Spicer spent just under a year in Bournemouth's colours
Bournemouth midfielder John Spicer is closing on a move to Burnley after the Cherries accepted a £35,000 bid.
Spicer, 21, joined Bournemouth from Arsenal for £10,000 last year but has a clause in his contract allowing him to move to any club offering over £25,000.

"The deal we struck with John's agent was only possible if we included an escape clause," Cherries chairman Peter Phillips told his club's website.

"He is an ambitious player who wanted to play in the Championship or higher."

Phillips added: "We were fortunate to sign a player of John's talents for £10,000, and we have more than recouped our outlay whilst of course securing John for the past year.

"Whilst we are sad to see him leave, we are sure John will be a great success and wish him all the best."

If the deal goes through, the former Gunners trainee will become the third midfielder to move from Dean Court to Turf Moor in a matter of months, after Wade Elliott and Garreth O'Connor moved on Bosman free transfers in the summer.

Spicer made just one substitute appearance for Arsenal in the League Cup, but scored eight goals in 50 appearances for Bournemouth, having initially joined on loan last September.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
A young midfield player, with a bit of talent that we could afford, do not see them that often. Prehaps we can offer £3500.01?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I'm sure we would have been an attractive prospect as I assume he is from the London/South area.

Isn't he a creative midfielder too?

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
fatboy said:
I'm sure we would have been an attractive prospect as I assume he is from the London/South area.

Isn't he a creative midfielder too?

But we've got Oatway we don't need another creative midfielder! :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports