South East North Lancing
He appeared to reasonably agree with me back in July :

D5C87EC0-52DA-452A-98DC-62C7399E252D.jpeg

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Barnes is a moron.

Failed manager with a chip on his shoulder. I literally cannot think of anything positive about him other than the goal vs Brazil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Slanderous comments like this simply should not be allowed, luckily enough most British football fans know what a clown Barnes is and that Hughton is a fantastic man and manager but does have his limitations. I don’t like the idea that people who don’t really know football to well or new foreign fans could read comments like that and make rash judgements.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Barnes is a moron.

Failed manager with a chip on his shoulder. I literally cannot think of anything positive about him other than the goal vs Brazil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t mind Barnes, but for me he should have been representing Jamaica in international football, not England (I know!).

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Unfortunately Paul Ince and John Barnes fall into the same category, through their playing careers and the proficiency of their respective agents they are both millionaires who now see themselves as footballing versions of Martin Luther King.

Them seem to conveniently forget when banging on about racism in management that they were both sacked from managerial jobs because they weren’t very good at their jobs regardless of the colour of their skin.

Whilst I think it was handled extremely badly, I was texted by a mate in Spain before the Man City game to say Hughton was out and Potter was in, it was time to make a change, and that wasn’t because Hughton was black it was because his time at the Albion was up.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Hughton wasn't appointed because of positive racial discrimination towards BAME under-representation, nor was he sacked because of negative racial discrimination.

It was never about skin tone. It was formerly about his track record in getting clubs promoted, and latterly about winning only 2 matches out of his last 17.

With SAF as an exception to prove the rule, almost all successful managers have an expiry date at a club when it's time to part ways.

Staying on only risks tarnishing the good memories and triumphs of before.

The club had reached that date with Chris Hughton.

It was never anything more than that.

No guilt applicable.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
He's now arguing that he has a comparable win percentage to Steven Gerrard at Rangers yet he is still in a job and Barnes got sacked. He fails to acknowledge :

1. He got sacked when a team from a division below beat them. The infamous super cally go ballistic Celtic are atrocious.
2. Gerrard inherited a shite squad that had rebuilt from scratch
3. His win percentage compared to Rodgers and Lennon is 10% off (worse obviously)

Perhaps Barnesy you were a great player but a shit manager? Just a thought.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I dont think any club owner gives a shit about what John Barnes says tbh. But sure, he is certainly not helping the situation.

Funny anecdote (perhaps not the best timing but anyway) about Barnes by the way:

Back in 1996, Swedish midfielder Anders Limpar went on a trial over at Liverpool and trained with them for a couple of weeks. All of Barnes teammates called him "Digger" but Limpar misheard it and yelled "pass the ball, n*gger". It was not very popular and Limpar didnt get the contract. Barnes apparently got traumatised for life.

Code:

You were correct " perhaps not the best time "

To throw in a " Hearsay " statement such as that.

The post by John Barnes makes it very clear that he is using the Chris Hughton situation as an " Example "

He doesn't say that there were any " Racial Motivation" in Chris being sacked. In fact he knows that there wasn't but there have been very few Black Managers given the chance to Manage in the PL that Chris' situation is often used in circumstances. Sometimes Correctly. Sometimes Incorrectly.

I think people are getting " outraged " over nothing in this instance. This stuff has been gone over in about 3 different similar threads. It really is time to move on from it all.

It certainly isn't helping Chris that every time his name gets mentioned anywhere on NSC that the negative last 6 months at Brighton get trotted out again and again. When in fact his Legacy should be that he took them to the PL

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The man is a cretin.

”Blah.. Brighton fans will take it personally.. blah..”

Yes John, well when someone accuses your club, which you know to be of high moral standing and run by a respectable, ethically good and honest management, of being racist, believe it or not it is highly, highly offensive.

It’s utterly ludicrous to even suggest our club have acted in a racist manner in any way shape or form.

What a low intellect, ignorant man he is.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Code:

The post by John Barnes makes it very clear that he is using the Chris Hughton situation as an " Example "

He doesn't say that there were any " Racial Motivation" in Chris being sacked. In fact he knows that there wasn't but there have been very few Black Managers given the chance to Manage in the PL that Chris' situation is often used in circumstances. Sometimes Correctly. Sometimes Incorrectly.

I think people are getting " outraged " over nothing in this instance. This stuff has been gone over in about 3 different similar threads. It really is time to move on from it all.

It certainly isn't helping Chris that every time his name gets mentioned anywhere on NSC that the negative last 6 months at Brighton get trotted out again and again. When in fact his Legacy should be that he took them to the PL

Tell John Barnes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Code:

It is only clear if you put on your "I want John Barnes to be a clever and balanced voice on this subject" glasses. Much like him, you are not really doing yourself any service in defending what Barnes is obviously saying - that Tony Bloom is racist.

It is not "used as an example". Barnes:
"Be careful... brighton fans will attack u and take it personally because what they dont understand is that its not about them personally its an example... any club u mention those fans will say we may agree with you generally, but NOT OUR CLUB..."

He is specifically referring to Brighton as a club where people agree that racism is common in football while still defending their own racist club. I dont see how it is possible to interpret this in a different way.

And he says it while retweeting this:
"I think John's accession isn't only on Klopp. He just used him as an Example. Can someone tell me the sacking of Houghton by
@OfficialBHAFC was justifiable?? Any white manager will have kept the job"

Its not "clear" that Barnes is merely using it as an example, what is clear is that he believes Brighton sacked Houghton because of his skin colour.

Im not disputing that black managers are disadvantaged in football. But what Barnes says here is a load of bollocks, however determined you are to wash his garbage. Plenty of people have said sensible stuff on this subject, but this does not fall into that category. Its utterly distasteful of him to use Brighton as a club that sacks managers because of their race, and it is distasteful of you to defend it. As I said previously, I believe the man is very bitter about not being able to get another job and that he got a very rough time accepting that he was not a good enough manager himself. At least this tweet points in that direction:
https://twitter.com/officialbarnesy/status/1327701579106033671

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Code:

An example of what then ? (if not an example of racism).
Sorry I don’t understand why a general point about opportunities for black managers in football needs to be conflated with the sacking of CH when we can all agree that was not for racially motivated reasons. Isn’t Barnes better off campaigning for more opportunity and not mentioning CH ? His tweets are dog whistling and he will be called out every time he does it.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Whilst I’m not going to comment on society as a whole, the problem that football has with racism is that the people who speak out against it and are given airtime are utterly stupid.

Barnes and Lewis have already been mentioned but also Troy Townsend and Paul Ince fall into that category.

The way to get people to think and change is to make them listen and consider what is happening. Everytime that one of the above speak it just makes me think they are as ignorant as the rest of us.

I was told by someone who works at the Mirror that Darren Lewis got his job as a result of a sort of positive discrimination. They wanted a football writer that black footballers would be more likely to speak to. And that he was well aware of that. He has now been promoted to assistant editor and given a column in the main part of the paper so I suppose it means he has grabbed his chance and run with it. But if he'd been rubbish and been sacked, no doubt it would have been because he was black.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
He (Barnes - if this quote is accurate) is saying that the sacking of Hughton was possibly racist. So that's about as close to saying it was racist that you can get without saying it actually was racist (which I suspect is what he thinks). He is not helping in my opinion.

"If I say that about Celtic and Tranmere, and what I've been having on Twitter, all Celtic and Tranmere fans have been saying is 'No, no, no, that is rubbish, unconscious bias had nothing doing with you losing your job.'

"You can speak to any black manager and speak to the fans at those clubs they will say 'No, no, no, that did not play a part.'

"So as much as, maybe, possibly, Celtic fans, if it's not to do with Celtic, you can use anybody, let's use Chris Hughton at Brighton.

"You can possibly say racial bias played a part (in him leaving), Celtic fans might say 'yeah, yeah, I can see that possibly' but Celtic fans will say not at our club, Brighton fans will say not at at our club.'

"Where is it then if everyone says it's not me?"

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Code:

So tell me, what is Barnes trying to say? It was 100% correct to sack Chris for some of the worst performances and results I have ever seen an Albion team play. He CORRECTLY got sacked. He then tried to make out like it was a shock when, in truth, he was extremely lucky to keep his job as long as he did. Then Barnes, a clown [emoji1782] IMHO, says it is an example. An example of what? He is implying incorrectly that our club’s Chairman is racist, and when he demonstrably is NOT. So **** Barnes for his stupidity. Perhaps he needs to find a better example. There are plenty out there. Think again then post something that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
John Barnes only clam to fame is that goal in Brazil.
He did okay as a professional footballer, musically challenged and not brilliant as a pundit come social media person.
Stick to what you know and keep away from what you don't know :thumbsup:

PS I'm sure CH can speak for himself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here