Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Johannesburg trip

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Why are there still townships in SA

It’s a complicated answer, with a lot of nuance involved. If I had to crassly summarise it then it would be because it is a country that has about as much stark inequality between the richest and the poorest as I’ve ever seen anywhere.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Is it not a bit sad for people living in Soweto having loads of people coming to look.at them living in extreme poverty, I hope they gain financially from these trips
Soweto has had millions and millions invested in it, it is
Why are there still townships in SA
Because the ANC have stolen or squandered many many billions for personal gain and political corruption. They have delivered almost nothing they promised in 1994, despite having the richest economy in sub Saharan Africa.... their failed policies have succeeded only in dividing the country more than ever,... completely failed immigration policies and infrastructure have allowed millions of illegal immigrants to steal, kill, rape and burn their way across the nation.... the poor of Soweto and every other informal settlement are no better, in fact are worse off than ever.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It’s a complicated answer, with a lot of nuance involved. If I had to crassly summarise it then it would be because it is a country that has about as much stark inequality between the richest and the poorest as I’ve ever seen anywhere.
That is not a 'why' ..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here