Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johan Cruyff has died

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What an amazing player he was, truly a joy to watch. As a little kid in the playground, there were two very popular choices whilst playing football. I'll be Pele or Cruyff.

boik

Oh no! The only replica shirt I have is a No 14 KNVB Holland shirt from the 70s.

Cantankerous bugger, but knew how football should be played and was able to get others to play the beautiful game. Almost single-handedly transformed Holland from European minnows who were "just happy if they beat Belgium" into world champion contenders. The Ajax team that won the European cup 3 times in a row and the 74 Dutch world cup team who deserved to win the ultimate prize were both of his making.

Anyone too young to know who he is should get themselves on youtube now.

Sad loss.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I was in Amsterdam early 82 & was lucky enough that Ajax were at home to Willem II. The great man was playing, so it was a privilege to see him in action. One of the all time greats.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Arguably the greatest European footballer ever, almost certainly the most influential man ever in European football.

Favourite son of the Netherlands, adopted son of Catalonia - two nations weep. A sad day for football.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Genius player, his quick thinking penalty will always be my residing memory of him

True legend of the game, RIP

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Sad, sad news. Too young to see him play live but grew up with his legend.

People say that the greats of the old days would struggle in the modern game. From what I know of Cruyff, not only would he not struggle, he basically invented the modern game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fantastic player. Sad loss. After the 1970 Brazil side that 74 Dutch side was my favourite.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sad news.

Hopefully there'll be some documentaries knocking about in the next week or two celebrating his genius.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
After 30 years, the truth behind Cruyff's World Cup absence
Dutch star reveals kidnap attempt on his family that changed his outlook on life

Graham Keeley in Madrid

Thursday 17 April 2008 00.02 BST
Last modified on Tuesday 5 January 2016 15.44 GMT

Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Share on Google+

Shares
Save for later

For three decades, it has been one of the most enduring mysteries in world football. Why did Johan Cruyff, widely regarded as one of the three greatest players ever, decide that he would not play for Holland in the 1978 World Cup finals in Argentina? The Dutch reached the final - despite being beaten by Scotland in the group stages - but lost 3-1 to the hosts, and many blamed Cruyff's absence for their failure to lift the trophy.

At the time, speculation over the reasons for his decision was rife. It was claimed he had fallen out with the Dutch football association over sponsorship. Or maybe he objected to Argentina's rightwing military junta.

Now 30 years on, Cruyff has finally broken his silence to reveal the real reason for his no-show on football's biggest stage.

The former Ajax and Barcelona player has revealed that he and his family had been the victims of a kidnap attempt a few months before the tournament.

He said several criminals entered his house in Barcelona at night and tied him and his family up at gunpoint.

The experience changed his attitude to life and was part of the reason he decided not to play in the World Cup.

In an interview with Catalunya Radio, Cruyff said: "You should know that I had problems at the end of my career as a player here and I don't know if you know that someone [put] a rifle at my head and tied me up and tied up my wife in front of the children at our flat in Barcelona."

The Dutch superstar managed to escape and the kidnap attempt was foiled. But Cruyff said it changed his outlook on life.

"The children were going to school accompanied by the police. The police slept in our house for three or four months. I was going to matches with a bodyguard," he said.

"All these things change your point of view towards many things. There are moments in life in which there are other values.
Advertisement

"We wanted to stop this and be a little more sensible. It was the moment to leave football and I couldn't play in the World Cup after this."

He was living at the time with his wife, Danny Coster, and their three children in Barcelona when the kidnap attempt happened at the end of 1977.

After he announced that he would not be attending the 1978 World Cup, Cruyff's wife was blamed by some fans for putting him off playing. But in the radio interview, he said he wanted to put a stop to these rumours, which have surfaced again in a recently published book by another former Barca player, Carles Rexach.

el punal

Saw him play once, it was an honour. RIP.

I, too, had that privilege. Back in 1970 (71?) I was at Wembley to watch England v Holland (or the Netherlands, I never know which is correct), Cruyff played. It was the start of the reign of the Dutch Masters who introduced "total football" to the world. Amazing talent.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
see him play at Wembley in 1977

a great dutch side,they won 2-0 at a canter

wonderful footballer

RIP

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
When he went to Barca they hadn't won the League for 14 years. Franco was still repressing the Catalans. They were 2nd bottom in the League. They didn't lose a match the rest of the season and won the League including a 5-0 win in the Bernabeu.

That (Richie Reynoulds) is a Legend.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here