Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Jofra Archer - can someone explain

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Oh come on - Duleepsinhji was from Lancing (head prefect at Boundstone Comp), and Rantisinhji's parents ran the corner shop in Ferring.

But I do remember the Nawab of Pataudi who tunred out for Sussex in the 60s and who seemed impossibly exotic (well, compared to Ken Suttle he did)..

Thanks. That's who I was trying to think of the Nawab of Pataudi.

Also there is Dennis Foreman the first non white South African to play in England. Also played over 200 games for the Albion. A frequent fact on NSC.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/c...South-African-to-play-cricket-in-England.html

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I remember some of the old Sussex batting order. Parker and Graves were stalwarts in the order for years.

My Dad, a drinker more than a cricketer, got Graves to take my autograph book in the early 70's and I got autographs of all teams Sussex played at that time................but my sister has since lost it somewhere.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
But that's my point, he's so good we'll never see him playing for Sussex. Problem is there's far too much international cricket. Ted Dexter was a great cricketer and played regularly for England, but also played regularly for Sussex.

He didn't play for Sussex at the start of the season because he was playing IPL for Rajasthan Royals. If (when) he gets a central contract I suspect this may limit his IPL and Big Bash opportunities as he will likely be touring with England.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
My Dad, a drinker more than a cricketer, got Graves to take my autograph book in the early 70's and I got autographs of all teams Sussex played at that time................but my sister has since lost it somewhere.

Bloody hell - we were probably pestering the same players. Fred Truman once told a bunch of kids to 'get off my bloody car'. Or it ould have been Brian Statham. (Clarification 1 we weren't leaning against Brian Statham.)

My brother worked in a hotel and once got Ted Dexter's autograph while he was (according to my brother) in bed with his missus. (Clarification 2 my brother wasn't in bed with Ted's missus).

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
He didn't play for Sussex at the start of the season because he was playing IPL for Rajasthan Royals. If (when) he gets a central contract I suspect this may limit his IPL and Big Bash opportunities as he will likely be touring with England.

Whoever he's playing for it certainly isn't Sussex, so back to my original point … what's the point of him being a Sussex player when he never plays for the County?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Whoever he's playing for it certainly isn't Sussex, so back to my original point … what's the point of him being a Sussex player when he never plays for the County?

The whole point of the county set up is to provide players for the national team.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Although main reason I am no longer a member at Sussex is no championship cricket in June July and August another reason is unlike a few years ago no longer see the best players. Goodness knows how football supporters would react if International players didnt play for there club

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Although main reason I am no longer a member at Sussex is no championship cricket in June July and August another reason is unlike a few years ago no longer see the best players. Goodness knows how football supporters would react if International players didnt play for there club

Good point. The situation with cricket is ridiculous. Far too much international cricket.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nice one. Gehan Mendis was (perhaps a little improbably) a local lad too - all three of the aforementioned were excellent county pros, and Parker was an amazing fielder. Don't get me started…….

Mendis, born in Ceylon (as it then was), Parker born in Rhodesia (as it then was) ... captained by John Barclay, born in West Germany (as it then was). What an international side we had then

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

It happens all the time with international cricketers! How often do you think Bairstow & Root are going to play for Yorkshire this season?

Players who are in the England squads for T20, one day & Test cricket rarely turn out for their counties now. Just the way it is.

I doubt Jofra is costing Sussex very much at all as the ECB will be paying him and yet I expect the county is still selling shirts with his name on the back so good to have him on the books for merchandising and promotions even if he isn't getting to play for Sussex very much

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
But that's my point, he's so good we'll never see him playing for Sussex. Problem is there's far too much international cricket. Ted Dexter was a great cricketer and played regularly for England, but also played regularly for Sussex.

I understand the frustration and, had, the qualifying regulations not been changed, Jofra would be the cornerstone of the Sussex side - and he loves playing for Sussex alongside Chris Jordan who is something of a mentor for him. Such is his talent, however, he was always going to be a shoo in for England.

I agree that there's too much International Cricket, added to the draw of overseas T20 competitions. But Sussex will be remunerated for his services and hopefully we will see something of him at Hove. If nothing else, I'm glad that Sussex provided the platform for this exceptional player to make his mark on the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here