Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Joffra Archer Included in the 14 man Ashes Test Squad

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I think its likely that only three of these five will play with Stokesy and Mo as 4th and 5th bowlers.

You’re probably right. Very tough choice then. You’d think Woakes, Broad & Anderson will play.

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
No it's not, I wouldn't want show pony Broad anywhere near, only shows up when everything suits (i.e. home ground & cloudy skies).

Really? 444 test wickets. Just imagined if he showed up more he could have a 1000 test wickets.

I don’t have the stats but I’d imagine his bowling average is better than Anderson’s for tests outside of England.

*** just checked very little in it Broad averages 33.73 away from home. Anderson 34.01. ***

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Really? 444 test wickets. Just imagined if he showed up more he could have a 1000 test wickets.

I don’t have the stats but I’d imagine his bowling average is better than Anderson’s for tests outside of England.

*** just checked very little in it Broad averages 33.73 away from home. Anderson 34.01. ***

Don't care about what he has done, he is at the end of his career and is a petulant **** who wastes reviews.

And he can't bat any more after being hit, what would Brian Close have made of that?

Yes I know he's not there to score runs but it shows his character.

Maybe, just maybe for Trent Bridge...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Surely it would be risky to play Anderson without having played any cricket of late.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Don't care about what he has done, he is at the end of his career and is a petulant **** who wastes reviews.

And he can't bat any more after being hit, what would Brian Close have made of that?

One of the greatest England cricketers of the past 30 years. Part of our most successful new ball partnership of all-time and a proven match winner over the past ten years. I can think of at least 5 or 6 big bowling performances which have won us games.

Possibly nearing the end and his place is under some pressure but I think he’s showed over the years great character. Always performed well against the Aussies and this could well be his last series.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Broad and Anderson must play, regardless of current form and age they have ashes experience, and the Aussies fear them. I think outside of them two you go with the bowlers who suit the ground/conditions more on an each test basis. I’m not convinced Archer is ready for test cricket myself.

I’m more worried about our batting prospects, absolutely farcical shot selections even against the Irish attack leave a lot of questions open.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Surely it would be risky to play Anderson without having played any cricket of late.

It's essential if he's fit. Which I think he may be now.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Not really relevant. A full blown ball and a broken nose can have all sorts of effects. He's not there to be Brian Close.

You can do better than that.

Broad has a record at Edgbaston equally as good.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Jimmy, Broad and Woakes for me and thus no place (yet) for Jofra. Woakes will be on his home ground; Archer would be a bit of a risk over a 5 day test maybe. I guess if it's a 'road' the selectors might be more inclined to gamble on Jofra's extra pace. There's a lot of quality in that Aussie batting line-up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a long summer and Archer will be key. It could be vintage stuff watching him bowl in tandem with Jimmy, personaly I like Mark Wood too with his raw pace.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I think its likely that only three of these five will play with Stokesy and Mo as 4th and 5th bowlers.
That would probably mean playing Denly, Roy and Burns. Hope they take the more attacking option of having 4 main bowlers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This series could see the end of Anderson and Broad if the Aussies get after them. They might go at the end if we win The Ashes or in the middle of the series if injured or one does a Swanny.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
This series could see the end of Anderson and Broad if the Aussies get after them. They might go at the end if we win The Ashes or in the middle of the series if injured or one does a Swanny.

I hope they don't follow Swanny into the commentary box and indulge themselves in Swanny-esque mimicry. Great bowler, great insight but drop the Mike Yarwood stuff.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Leave Swanns cowardice out of this home series. Furthermore no way will Broad and Anderson with a Duke’s ball get smashed out of the attack. They may well be rested and chosen for venues due to the bowling wealth we have.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Leave Swanns cowardice out of this home series. Furthermore no way will Broad and Anderson with a Duke’s ball get smashed out of the attack. They may well be rested and chosen for venues due to the bowling wealth we have.
Things can change quite dramatically within a Test Series. Swanny'!s cowardice when he bottled it is just one example....poor old Trott and Banger's decline's were sudden and unexpected as was Thorpe being reined in by his Mrs. Lots can happen remember Mitchell Johnson!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Left out of the first test.

Probably a fair call. Hard to drop any of the three front line seamers.

Edit: Still recovering from injury

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here