[Football] Joey Barton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I'll say again that I don't like his language which is way over the top. But if you don't think there's a lot of box-ticking in football punditry, and in many, perhaps most, organisations of any size, then we'll have to politely disagree. I'm a bit old-fashioned in that I thank talent, experience and suitability should be the key drivers for selection, even though I do think there's a case for temporary positive discrimination in some areas.
Except there seems to be a disproportionate number of poor pundits who are white, male and middle aged. As with all things, for a woman to break through the glass ceiling, she generally has to be better than her male counterparts.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Except there seems to be a disproportionate number of poor pundits who are white, male and middle aged.
There are plenty of terrible pundits who are male and middle aged, agreed. But certainly not exclusively white.
As with all things, for a woman to break through the glass ceiling, she generally has to be better than her male counterparts.
I think that used to be the case in many areas. Maybe it's still the case now in some areas. Football punditry isn't a good example IMO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll say again that I don't like his language which is way over the top. But if you don't think there's a lot of box-ticking in football punditry, and in many, perhaps most, organisations of any size, then we'll have to politely disagree. I'm a bit old-fashioned in that I thank talent, experience and suitability should be the key drivers for selection, even though I do think there's a case for temporary positive discrimination in some areas.
Absolute nonsense. There’s a minuscule number of female pundits and commentators in football compared to men. Even if everyone one of them is due to box ticking it’s hardly “a lot.“

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And there it is. The mask doesn’t so much slip as fall off. Bloke whose brother is inside for a racist murder turns out to be a massive racist, with a new anti woke podcast to promote. Not so much the full Le Tiss as the full Tommy.

And he wonders why he can’t get a job.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not bad. Liew's a bit hit and miss for me but he does touch on something worrying there.

My 'for you' is now a complete mess since Musk's takeover. Full of conspiracy nonsense and far right clap trap. I'd stick to my 'Following' but for two reasons; firstly sometimes the trending stories become actual discussed 'things' such as the OP for this thread and secondly I'm slightly obsessed, in a worried kind of way, about what he's doing. Musk is genuinely a Bond villain, but rather than send Bond after him, many of the leaders of the Free World are lapping it up. It's no wonder clowns like Barton feel enabled when they're shoved on preference by algorithms ahead of real journalists who've done the hard yards (see the irony there Joey?).

No wonder all the big advertisers have left, to be replaced by drop ship scams, fake iPhone games and crypto bros.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No there isn't.

It's complete codswallop.
Quite.

I was looking for the comment on 'box ticking'.

Making television more inclusive, and inviting people other than male retired elite professionals as presenters and pundits could be called 'box ticking', and if so it is a box I'd gladly tick.

It also makes TV football much more interesting. The good people are good because they are good. Two good people who spring to mind are Kelly Cates (masterful chair of proceedings, unobtrusive, knowledgable, not flashy) and Jobi McAnuff (I happen to like his voice as well as his measured punditry). The bad ones, well I will start and end with McManaman, to be very honest.

I always enjoyed MoTD, but the thought of going back to Shearer and Hansen, every week, occasionally supplemented by Ian WriteWriteWrite, while I have no special criticism of any of them, having all opinions marinated by similar recollections of the same sanctity of the Top Mens Club dressing room, fills me with ennui.

But anyway, women? Talking about football? And black people, and people who are quite possibly homosexual, sticking their noses into things they know nothing about? No sir. That's political correctness gone mad. Next it will be compulsory for first division players to run around in frilly knickers, and stockings and suspenders. Enough is enough.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He literally doesn't know what his point is.

First he said women who played football aren't in a position to talk about the men's game as it's not the same.

Then he said "I'm not saying you have to have played the game. I like people like Rory Smith"

Right, so a woman who has literally played football is LESS qualified to give her opinion on football than a man who hasn't.

Btw, I REALLY like Rory Smith. This isn't against him. It just shows how it's easy to come out with the 'shock' statement and soon it is easily torn to shreds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports