Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joey Barton talks sense alert

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Usually he's a lemon (not that I'd tell him), but I loved the Olypmics and am very down on football at the mo. Albion aside, I started to get very fed up with footie generally from the middle of last season, all the money, cheating, diving, behaviour of players, managers (and sometimes fans). I'll probalby change during the winter when there's nothing else to watch, but I'm not planning on seeing any games any time soon - I don't even know the score of the Charity Shield on Sun.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
If his on-field demeanour and play matched the standard of some excellent writing, particularly for a footballer, he'd be a hell of a player. But it all rings a bit hollow after what he did at Man City, and various other places.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
If his on-field demeanour and play matched the standard of some excellent writing, particularly for a footballer, he'd be a hell of a player. But it all rings a bit hollow after what he did at Man City, and various other places.

It's what editors are for! And your last sentence is important: all the fancy words and high-fallutin' pretensions don't excuse his thuggery, and until he goes anyway near to making amends, I'm not having any of him.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
he's long come across as a good writter, at least when not engaging in twitter. the problem is his impulses are negative, in writing or football. 7 or 8 years ago he was statistically the best midfielder at Man City, last year he was one of the worst in the league. we can all seem a bit erudite and cultured with a couple hours research and consideration. on the pitch and twitter the true character is shown.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where did he cut and paste, that from?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The last group of sports people I want to listen to at the moment is footballers. And near the top of this group is Joey Barton.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Is it excellent writing or is just not shit?
It reads like many people's blogs do, the fact that it's written by a psychopath doesn't make it better

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Very good article indeed. I wish he could be as sensible on the pitch. Despite his best efforts to prove otherwise Barton is not a complete idiot and I look forward to seeing how he behaves when back from suspension and if lives up the ideals espoused in his blog.

Sutton81

Jul 4, 2012
even clocks right twice a day etc... he's a clown and anyone can pretend to be cultured if they want. Best thing he could do for his reputation is shut up, keep head down and just play his absolute best for a few years.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The only way the game is going to significantly change is cutting the RIDICULOUS wages that players get. This will bring them back down to earth, put them more on a par with their fellow fans. Playing the game will be about just that and not what watch they are wearing or their car in the car park. It disgusts me that a league 2 player earns more than a nurse.

The biggest change though would be that ticket prices can come down allowing more people to go, families to go, new generations of fans and bringing communities together. I went to a German game a few years ago (Bremen Vs Stuttgart), the whole city goes to the game and they start drinking from about 11a.m- why did the whole city go? It was E9 to get in.

I love football and love the albion but with stupid prices I am starting to lose a bit of love for the game I have to be honest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
even clocks right twice a day etc... he's a clown and anyone can pretend to be cultured if they want. Best thing he could do for his reputation is shut up, keep head down and just play his absolute best for a few years.

This.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The only way the game is going to significantly change is cutting the RIDICULOUS wages that players get. This will bring them back down to earth, put them more on a par with their fellow fans. Playing the game will be about just that and not what watch they are wearing or their car in the car park. It disgusts me that a league 2 player earns more than a nurse.

The biggest change though would be that ticket prices can come down allowing more people to go, families to go, new generations of fans and bringing communities together. I went to a German game a few years ago (Bremen Vs Stuttgart), the whole city goes to the game and they start drinking from about 11a.m- why did the whole city go? It was E9 to get in.

I love football and love the albion but with stupid prices I am starting to lose a bit of love for the game I have to be honest.

and this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it excellent writing or is just not shit?
It reads like many people's blogs do, the fact that it's written by a psychopath doesn't make it better

and this.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Something happened this summer which we are not use to - seeing very successful sports people performing and winning in a vast selection of sports - 90% of which comes down to sheer hard work and dedication.

All of which football isn't and its made a refreshing change.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Difficult to criticize if you haven't experienced it. I know deep down I wouldn't have lasted long as a pro footballer in todays climate. If David Luiz had gone down play acting like he did in the Chelsea game I might have kicked him in the head anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here