[Albion] Joel Veltman signs from Ajax in a 3-year deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Has Veltman had a falling out with Van Gaal ?
He hasn’t been picked for the National team for ages, which is odd as he is arguably playing the best football of his career so far.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Definitely should do everything to try to keep Velts.. brilliant all of last season IMHO...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m fine with the direction of the club at every level. “…. lights out” was just a quip with a :lolol:

I’m well versed, unlike some, in NOT getting a boner every time Fabrizio Romano or Football Insider publish zzzzzzz noise.

Regarding:
Veltman - I hope he’s with us for many seasons to come. My favourite Albion player, what a man-god :lolol:
Cucurella - he’s transformed our left flank. But £60m and a quality LB/LWB signing will be just the medicine.

I actually take all the alleged interest in our players as a huge compliment to Bloom, Winstanley and Potter.

100% this. Our top players are coveted by the very top teams, our Technical Director gets poached by the team likely to be investing more than any other globally in the next few years, our academy is churning out players by the dozen, our scouting network somehow still manages to come up with 'surprises' despite the resources thrown at this area by hundreds of clubs globally.............it's fantastic

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I did a tour of the Ajax Stadium last week.
There are photo opportunities linked to all the great Ajax players.
I made sure I got a photo of me sitting in Joel's changing room seat.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
100% this. Our top players are coveted by the very top teams, our Technical Director gets poached by the team likely to be investing more than any other globally in the next few years, our academy is churning out players by the dozen, our scouting network somehow still manages to come up with 'surprises' despite the resources thrown at this area by hundreds of clubs globally.............it's fantastic

Yes .... but apart from all that!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I really can't see how any other view to that provided in recent posts can be made. This is about as exciting as it gets within the context we have to operate.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I really can't see how any other view to that provided in recent posts can be made. This is about as exciting as it gets within the context we have to operate.

I’d be more than happy if we could achieve positions on or around 8th to 10th in most seasons, albeit with more home wins. The extent of my ambition. Perhaps cup runs, Europa League.

In a division increasingly brimming with sportswashers cash or Yanks promising £b investments (Chelsea, Everton the very latest), the aforementioned hopes would be an incredible achievement.

Potter’s key ….. and eventually his successor.

Bloom and Barbour have strategically driven all this, to me literally everything’s been exemplary.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
FWIW I’m not sure he goes this window. I know with lure of money and what can be done it doesn’t mean a lot - but his wife is heavily pregnant, he’s just moved house and he seems happy and being a regular important first team member means a lot. Roma highest paid player is apparently Dzeko on €95k a week - but the rest seem to be €50k-€80k - so If anything a new deal wouldn’t surprise me.

Speaking of which I’m surprised by the apparent lack of progress of new deals for many of the players with not long left on their deals

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Remember that the reason we got JV so cheaply is because he had a clause in his contract saying that if a PL (and not a Serie A or Liga) club came in, he could go if the release fee was met. He's got another year, and a further year's option. I'm less concerned about JV's situation, and far more with Ali Mac.
I don't know the salaries our top players are paid but, given we're about 15th in the PL player wage table, I suspect that we'll need to up the figures of our better players if they're going to sign new contracts.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Remember that the reason we got JV so cheaply is because he had a clause in his contract saying that if a PL (and not a Serie A or Liga) club came in, he could go if the release fee was met. He's got another year, and a further year's option. I'm less concerned about JV's situation, and far more with Ali Mac.
I don't know the salaries our top players are paid but, given we're about 15th in the PL player wage table, I suspect that we'll need to up the figures of our better players if they're going to sign new contracts.

Yep, and regularly selling a top player to a CL club in part provides the funding to allow us do that………

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep, and regularly selling a top player to a CL club in part provides the funding to allow us do that………

Yes, but not if we don't get the right price, and get low-balled for players who's heads have been turned and/or are too close to the end of their contracts.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

But not Velts or Ally Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
FWIW I’m not sure he goes this window. I know with lure of money and what can be done it doesn’t mean a lot - but his wife is heavily pregnant, he’s just moved house and he seems happy and being a regular important first team member means a lot. Roma highest paid player is apparently Dzeko on €95k a week - but the rest seem to be €50k-€80k - so If anything a new deal wouldn’t surprise me.

Speaking of which I’m surprised by the apparent lack of progress of new deals for many of the players with not long left on their deals

I know websites/hacks are guessing when they mention player wages, but I wonder what Veltman’s paid? Is it up there with our highest (Dunk, Lallana, Welbeck?)?

A consistently great RB and team-player, I would love to hear that he’s been offered and signed an enhanced contract by the Albion.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I know websites/hacks are guessing when they mention player wages, but I wonder what Veltman’s paid? Is it up there with our highest (Dunk, Lallana, Welbeck?)?

A consistently great RB and team-player, I would love to hear that he’s been offered and signed an enhanced contract by the Albion.

Don't remember where but it was said in Dutch media that he doubled the €1m/year salary he had in Ajax. No idea if it is true or not.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Despite your and Swanny's amateur detective work, my hunch is you (and, more importantly, your sources) are both wrong. We will have no idea about players salaries, bonuses, release clauses, and so on. The club are fastidious at never officially announcing transfer fees either, whether ins or outs -- and these are more widely known than wages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports