Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Joe Strummer

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’m a ‘floating voter’ and I’ve naturally never let party politics enter my musical thoughts. Not stupid, I’m aware that musicians are generally either left wing or apolitical. I don’t really care about their views, for music it’s purely whether the hook or vocals in a song sing to my soul.

When these bands used to pack 2,000 into The Dome or Top Rank Suite, I’m absolutely certain that most people were not there in any shape or form for the politics. Simply a love of the music, the bundles, the craic with mates, the piss up.

I’ve always thought that us Brits in the main don’t take to artists and celebs trying to influence our vote. Whether it be Bob Monkhouse, Kenny Everitt, Charlotte Church or Hugh Grant. They come across as arrogant dicks.

Away from party politics or the over-egged class war in the UK, I find footage of the 1963 March on Washington performances by Baez, Dylan and Peter, Paul & Mary stunning. In the context of real suffering by blacks in the racist Deep South, goose bumps stuff.

Back on point, The Clash were stunning.

I see your apolitical view. Sandinista is a nice sing along and lovely beat to Guns of Brixton.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hmmm.....I went to countless ANL and RAR gigs, but all I got from the bands in terms of vibe and politics was 'against the Front' as TRB would put it. I don't recall any actual left politics engagement till Red Skins and Billy Bragg. As for Crass....

ANL was marinated in SWP, and the politicos certainly got all excited about having some bands do benefit gigs but....SWP, a silly cult (did I spell that right? ???). Never a word of actual positive politics at any gig I went to. Bernie Rhodes would certainly have wanted the Clash on the menu at the big RAR gigs, Finsbury park....but it was more about anti racism, harmony with the reggae boys, and just being there...it was not real left politics.

Look at what was released. Off the top of my head we have 'Right to Work' by Gene October's band (who I saw - forget the name)....this was a protest against all the unemployment under the Callaghan labour government. But it wasn't in favour of anything. I can't think of a single punk records that speaks out in favour of the SWP. Labour weren't worth speaking out for, then.....dinosaurs.

I was very left wing by 1980 (with no place/party to call home), but the left activists were weird geeks, mostly SWP, not really part of the punk scene or the post punk scene (this is about MUSIC let's not forget).

In all the hundreds of punk gigs I went to between 77 and 80, nobody ever tried to recruit me into a left politics organisation, nobody ever said anything at any gig I went to about how to vote, and never did I ever hear Strummer or anyone else endorse the SWP. :shrug:

No, punk rock was about going mental, and upsetting people. Get pissed, destroy. Strummer may have found political coherence when he got older, but back then....no. :shrug:

Whilst I agree with you that punk was, from the start, nihilistic, The Clash went political fairly early, in my recollection, They went against the grain..They were always more thoughtful, more worthy than their peers, and often sneered at by the 'get pissed, destroy' mob for this.

They were criticised for taking things too seriously, whether it was their music (remember the scathing criticism when Give 'Em Enough Rope' came out, and, horror of horror, it was well produced?) or their world vision.

They were, as has been discussed, a major part of RAR and the ANL, as well as Artists Against Apartheid, at a time when, even on the left, racism was quite common and accepted. They inspired many to embrace change, and reject racism.

Complete Control was a political statement. As was White Man (and also White Riot). And Career Opportunities. But it went beyond the songs, they embraced an attitude that was about positivity and togetherness, and this was at odds with the original punk attitude.

They further cemented their desire not to be punk-by-numbers when the wonderful London Calling was released (40 years ago, FFS...) It was dismissed by many die hard traditional punks - it just didn't fit the now tired old blueprint.

Joe didn't wave a red flag, and had little to do with the rather pathetic SWP. But he was leading the fight against right wing politics.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Joe didn't wave a red flag, and had little to do with the rather pathetic SWP. But he was leading the fight against right wing politics.

Agree. :thumbsup:

I'm one of those sorts who is always thinking 'how can we win' rather than should we, why should we, who are the enemy, etc. It is a fault.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I mentioned it on another thread years ago that someone I worked with was in a band with him before he joined Woody and the Splinters ('Woody Mellor, pick and shovel guitar) and that I have a rare, possibly unique memento: the first Clash album on vinyl, signed by the man himself. If only he and Mick....oh well.

Apologies. Not woody and the splinters, FFS (A brighton band). I meant the 101ers. The bloke I worked with in Littlehampton (painting council houses, in 1976) was in The Vultures with Mr Mellor.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I’d love to do it all over again. Dreaming.

Yep.

I saw The Clash many times, and later saw Joe in several of his other incarnations...and loads of Big Audio Dynamite gigs.

I still go to loads of gigs, and have seen some brilliant ones every year...but The Clash are still imprinted on my brain - hard to imagine that I could ever enjoy a gig more than one of theirs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here