Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Root - £1m Central Contract

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well worth it - great to watch when in full flow.

Let's face it, in tests, he is just about the only reason to watch England batting right now. I always prefer to watch "my" team bowling rather than batting, but Root is a major exception to that rule.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's not comparable to football as the finance models are completely different.

On a separate note (not Joe Root related), how does the finance model differ from football ? I'm not really familiar with the details. As an outsider it would appear that cricket couldn't afford such contracts paid from gate receipts or merchandise so is the game becoming increasingly reliant on tv deals ? I guess what I'm asking is will the finance model converge with that in football ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
On a separate note (not Joe Root related), how does the finance model differ from football ? I'm not really familiar with the details. As an outsider it would appear that cricket couldn't afford such contracts paid from gate receipts or merchandise so is the game becoming increasingly reliant on tv deals ? I guess what I'm asking is will the finance model converge with that in football ?

Google says the current deal with Sky was £280M for 4 years, although that was signed in 2012 so not sure what the next deal is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here