Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Mason and Lewis Grabban

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Come on Trig, where's that Mason to Wigan rumour from?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As SJL has pointed out, Grabban does work his socks off in a lot of matches, especially at away games, however he is not without his flaws. His passing is generally poor and he's very slow to release the ball anywhere near the box, even when a team-mate is in a better position, for me the most frustrating part of his game; this in turn has actually led to us conceding a few times, as a bad pass, or lost possession has led to a goal against us. He's also missed a few easy chances this season, he really should be on 16 goals by now.

That's not to say most AFCB supporters wouldn't be sad to see him go.

With respect to the relative merits of B&HA versus AFCB, we have a far larger catchement area than you. The East Dorset Conurbation, which is centred around B'mouth/Poole is closer to 600,000 than 500,000. Brighton has a population of what, 175,000? We have the problem that too many glory hunters have trotted up the road to watch Stains over the years and coupled with 70-odd years in the third division, that's had a detrimental effect on our gates. However, despite the conception given by the popular sitcom, Waiting for God (set in Bournemouth but actually filmed in Sussex) and Christchurch having the second oldest demographic in the country, it's not all old fogeys and incomers in East Dorset/West Hants. So the potential for growth and decent gates is easily obtainable but it'll take a few years in the second tier to get them up.

We don't own our stadium but 'we' do own the land on which the current temporary stand is situated. We could build the 4th stand as a mirror of the existing North Stand but a two-tier job with hotel would be a better bet. Our stadium was designed as 12,000 seater, with 15,000 were the corners to be filled in and the stands are designed to have a second tier added (planning permission might be tricky) so should the wealthy chap who owns AFCB decide he wants Prem football and is prepared to subsidise the squad to get there, then we could easily get 30,000+ gates (yes, catchment area is greater than Southampton, thanks to Portsmouth)

So really, if you ignore the guff about big club/little club, it'll come down to:
- is there a sell-on clause?
- how much if there is? (just to let you know, I believe it's actually £2.2million)
- does he want to go if clause invoked?
- how useful is it for media outlets, to have a transfer window ?

The east Dorset conurbation has a population of 466000, not 600000 according to Wikipedia. Why do you take Brighton on its own and ignore all the large towns around not least Hove, but then include every little hamlet in your neck of the woods? I would imagine the areas around are a similar size too.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The east Dorset conurbation has a population of 466000, not 600000 according to Wikipedia. Why do you take Brighton on its own and ignore all the large towns around not least Hove, but then include every little hamlet in your neck of the woods? I would imagine the areas around are a similar size too.

I can answer that. Because he's a fantasist dreaming of Bournemouth's rise to the Prem in a massive stadium that will be full to the brim every game!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely not. I saw him at the Amex and I have photographic proof.

Great stuff. If he's come this far, then I expect him to sign TBH.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I would imagine that everybody that has said they have seen him, were taking about the 1st January.

spoiler alert!!!!!!!!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I would imagine that everybody that has said they have seen him, were taking about the 1st January.

Unfortunately, I think you're probably right :down:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Great stuff. If he's come this far, then I expect him to sign TBH.

Not sure why he needed to come and have a look around again, he was only here two weeks ago, if that wasn't enough to make him be gagging to sign...he can do one :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Come on Trig, where's that Mason to Wigan rumour from?

They're close to getting Nicky Maynard but no news of Grabban.
Wigan Athletic FC ‏@wiganbuzztap 1h
TEAMtalk >> Championship: Wigan close in on striker Nicky Maynard http://buzztap.com/-9K3LCw

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Aren't we all in our own ways? He's a football fan like you and me - logic doesn't come in to it.

True, but we have the stadium of our dreams already. And our fans are doing pretty well filling it every game. We are 6th and in with a small chance of the Prem again this season. Bournemouth on the other hand...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here