Joe Mason and Lewis Grabban

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

rgb

Jan 14, 2014
That's quite a geographical spread in terms of miles. The East Dorset Conurbation, runs from Poole to Christchurch and up to Wimborne/Verwood. 10 miles East-West, 12 miles North-South. But probably immaterial. Anything over half a million gives a potential 25,000 if you go for 5% of the pop to turn up 20 times a year or so. We've lost a few good goal scorers in recent years, always had somebody to replace them though (be nice to see Ings and Vokes back here and they came through our youth setup) so if Grabban goes, well, we'll manage. Might just change the way we play slightly to unleash the potential in Rantie.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Give me strength, what a complete joke of a post, Brighton fans come from all over EAST and WEST SUSSEX, SURREY and KENT, I like Bournemouth but in no way would they get anywhere near 15,000 gates or to say 30,000 is laughable. When you regularly top 25,000 like Brighton come back, I won't hold my breath......

As SJL has pointed out, Grabban does work his socks off in a lot of matches, especially at away games, however he is not without his flaws. His passing is generally poor and he's very slow to release the ball anywhere near the box, even when a team-mate is in a better position, for me the most frustrating part of his game; this in turn has actually led to us conceding a few times, as a bad pass, or lost possession has led to a goal against us. He's also missed a few easy chances this season, he really should be on 16 goals by now.

That's not to say most AFCB supporters wouldn't be sad to see him go.

With respect to the relative merits of B&HA versus AFCB, we have a far larger catchement area than you. The East Dorset Conurbation, which is centred around B'mouth/Poole is closer to 600,000 than 500,000. Brighton has a population of what, 175,000? We have the problem that too many glory hunters have trotted up the road to watch Stains over the years and coupled with 70-odd years in the third division, that's had a detrimental effect on our gates. However, despite the conception given by the popular sitcom, Waiting for God (set in Bournemouth but actually filmed in Sussex) and Christchurch having the second oldest demographic in the country, it's not all old fogeys and incomers in East Dorset/West Hants. So the potential for growth and decent gates is easily obtainable but it'll take a few years in the second tier to get them up.

We don't own our stadium but 'we' do own the land on which the current temporary stand is situated. We could build the 4th stand as a mirror of the existing North Stand but a two-tier job with hotel would be a better bet. Our stadium was designed as 12,000 seater, with 15,000 were the corners to be filled in and the stands are designed to have a second tier added (planning permission might be tricky) so should the wealthy chap who owns AFCB decide he wants Prem football and is prepared to subsidise the squad to get there, then we could easily get 30,000+ gates (yes, catchment area is greater than Southampton, thanks to Portsmouth)

So really, if you ignore the guff about big club/little club, it'll come down to:
- is there a sell-on clause?
- how much if there is? (just to let you know, I believe it's actually £2.2million)
- does he want to go if clause invoked?
- how useful is it for media outlets, to have a transfer window ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That's quite a geographical spread in terms of miles. The East Dorset Conurbation, runs from Poole to Christchurch and up to Wimborne/Verwood. 10 miles East-West, 12 miles North-South. But probably immaterial. Anything over half a million gives a potential 25,000 if you go for 5% of the pop to turn up 20 times a year or so. We've lost a few good goal scorers in recent years, always had somebody to replace them though (be nice to see Ings and Vokes back here and they came through our youth setup) so if Grabban goes, well, we'll manage. Might just change the way we play slightly to unleash the potential in Rantie.

Ings (especially) and Vokes returning!? You seem to have lost touch with reality. Well, maybe when they're in their mid-thirties.

rgb

Jan 14, 2014
Fairly close to a sell out in recent games. We have to 'lose' 10% of seats to cover segregation, so anything around the 10,500 mark is getting close to full. Bear in mind that SFC had 15,000 gates at the dull but doubled that upon the move to their new stadium. Combination of new ground and Prem football meant they got 30,000 at most home fixtures.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The problem is that a club will enquire about and then speak with a significant number of players in the transfer window. Some of these conversations will leak out. It doesn't mean that we want to buy everyone we are talking to and most negotiations will come to nothing. This does not indicate a failure on our part, just that we have a few irons in the fire.

rgb

Jan 14, 2014
Pure fantasy. And, at the very least, we are Prem ready NOW. Bournemouth must be 3-4 years away at best and probably never will be.

No it's not 'pure fantasy' it's a viable option IF our owner were to subsidise the squad for a push to the Premiership. Nobody has said B&HA aren't 'prem ready' but you must be a newcomer to league football if you don't know the history of clubs such as Wigan or Reading and their grounds (or even Wimbledon if you want to go back just a little further)

rgb

Jan 14, 2014
Give me strength, what a complete joke of a post, Brighton fans come from all over EAST and WEST SUSSEX, SURREY and KENT, I like Bournemouth but in no way would they get anywhere near 15,000 gates or to say 30,000 is laughable. When you regularly top 25,000 like Brighton come back, I won't hold my breath......

I assume from this post you weren't watching Bournemouth v Brighton games in the 70s?

rgb

Jan 14, 2014
Ings (especially) and Vokes returning!? You seem to have lost touch with reality. Well, maybe when they're in their mid-thirties.

Tongue in cheek comment. No, I don't expect Ings and Vokes to come back here. Merely pointing out that they are products of our youth set up.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No it's not 'pure fantasy' it's a viable option IF our owner were to subsidise the squad for a push to the Premiership. Nobody has said B&HA aren't 'prem ready' but you must be a newcomer to league football if you don't know the history of clubs such as Wigan or Reading and their grounds (or even Wimbledon if you want to go back just a little further)

On the subject of subsidising the squad, how are AFCB looking in terms of FFP? Are you within that allowed debt levels?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

I'll stick with my 'probably never will be', but we'll see. BTW I've been supporting the Albion since the mid-70's, and you are rather patronising. Oh, and do you understand how FFP works? Your billionaire will no longer be able to subsidise your squad for a push to the Prem.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So Mason is having a medical at Wigan. Any idea how much they paid?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And Leicester.
What loopholes have they used?

Just ignore the rules, and spend, spend, spend. Where did you hear 'Mason to Wigan '?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports