Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Mason and Lewis Grabban

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
They never go to the Amex unless it's to have their pic taken holding the shirt up after signing

Is that true? I'm sure that when the whole CMS saga was going on, someone spotted him at the Amex a good two weeks before he signed. Surely if they are interested in us, then being shown the ground is part of the charm offensive. ???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Grabban looks adequate, not worth £1m tho
Given that Barnes only had 6 months left on his contract, the reported £1.1 puts him at a comparable price to Barnes. I've never been a Barnes detractor, but I imagine Grabbon is at least as good, so the price seems reasonable to me.

I was the one on our board who was talking about sideways moves.
Don't sweat it. So what if we're a bigger or smaller club. If we all wanted to be fans of a big club, we should all support Manure.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Is that true? I'm sure that when the whole CMS saga was going on, someone spotted him at the Amex a good two weeks before he signed. Surely if they are interested in us, then being shown the ground is part of the charm offensive. ???

I think every half decent striker from the championship or lower premier league has been 'spotted at the Amex' by a friend of someone posting on NSC during the past 2.5 years.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Our newspaper bloke has said reports that Grabban had been seen at the Amex were wide of the mark. Gulp!

They never go to the Amex unless it's to have their pic taken holding the shirt up after signing

I can't reveal my source, so don't ask, but I can categorically say that Grabban HAS been at the Amex very recently.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I can't reveal my source, so don't ask, but I can categorically say that Grabban HAS been at the Amex very recently.

How recently? After the day Bournemouth stole a draw?

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
Not sure either will match Barnes workrate

Grabbs has a phenomenal workrate... He has been playing yup front on his own for about 5/7 games now and I can honestly say he chases everything down for around 80 mins, then is usually subbed... He pressures the whole back line and takes his chances well. He also has shell of ascot on him, although not always on target :)

IF this happens I will be gutted to see him go... and you will have got yourself a very good striker... with still bags of potential :(

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Grabbs has a phenomenal workrate... He has been playing yup front on his own for about 5/7 games now and I can honestly say he chases everything down for around 80 mins, then is usually subbed... He pressures the whole back line and takes his chances well. He also has shell of ascot on him, although not always on target :)

IF this happens I will be gutted to see him go... and you will have got yourself a very good striker... with still bags of potential :(

Lets hope so but we have signed some duffers and because he is good for you doesn't mean he will be for us as he might not fit our style of play

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Class auto correct there got to be one of the best I have seen - "Shell of Ascot" I imagine some cartoon pointy rocket that literally whooshes at the intended target and can stop and change directions at random. If he can shoot like that then he must be something special.

rgb

Jan 14, 2014
As SJL has pointed out, Grabban does work his socks off in a lot of matches, especially at away games, however he is not without his flaws. His passing is generally poor and he's very slow to release the ball anywhere near the box, even when a team-mate is in a better position, for me the most frustrating part of his game; this in turn has actually led to us conceding a few times, as a bad pass, or lost possession has led to a goal against us. He's also missed a few easy chances this season, he really should be on 16 goals by now.

That's not to say most AFCB supporters wouldn't be sad to see him go.

With respect to the relative merits of B&HA versus AFCB, we have a far larger catchement area than you. The East Dorset Conurbation, which is centred around B'mouth/Poole is closer to 600,000 than 500,000. Brighton has a population of what, 175,000? We have the problem that too many glory hunters have trotted up the road to watch Stains over the years and coupled with 70-odd years in the third division, that's had a detrimental effect on our gates. However, despite the conception given by the popular sitcom, Waiting for God (set in Bournemouth but actually filmed in Sussex) and Christchurch having the second oldest demographic in the country, it's not all old fogeys and incomers in East Dorset/West Hants. So the potential for growth and decent gates is easily obtainable but it'll take a few years in the second tier to get them up.

We don't own our stadium but 'we' do own the land on which the current temporary stand is situated. We could build the 4th stand as a mirror of the existing North Stand but a two-tier job with hotel would be a better bet. Our stadium was designed as 12,000 seater, with 15,000 were the corners to be filled in and the stands are designed to have a second tier added (planning permission might be tricky) so should the wealthy chap who owns AFCB decide he wants Prem football and is prepared to subsidise the squad to get there, then we could easily get 30,000+ gates (yes, catchment area is greater than Southampton, thanks to Portsmouth)

So really, if you ignore the guff about big club/little club, it'll come down to:
- is there a sell-on clause?
- how much if there is? (just to let you know, I believe it's actually £2.2million)
- does he want to go if clause invoked?
- how useful is it for media outlets, to have a transfer window ?

Last edited:

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
As SJL has pointed out, Grabban does work his socks off in a lot of matches, especially at away games, however he is not without his flaws. His passing is generally poor and he's very slow to release the ball anywhere near the box, even when a team-mate is in a better position, for me the most frustrating part of his game; this in turn has actually led to us conceding a few times, as a bad pass, or lost possession has led to a goal against us. He's also missed a few easy chances this season, he really should be on 16 goals by now.

With respect to the relative merits of B&HA versus AFCB, we have a far larger catchement area than you. The East Dorset Conurbation, which is centred around B'mouth/Poole is closer to 600,000 than 500,000. Brighton has a population of what, 175,000? We have the problem that too many glory hunters have trotted up the road to watch Stains over the years and coupled with 70-odd years in the third division, that's had a detrimental effect on our gates. However, despite the conception given by the popular sitcom, Waiting for God (set in Bournemouth but actually filmed in Sussex) and Christchurch having the second oldest demographic in the country, it's not all old fogeys and incomers in East Dorset/West Hants. So the potential for growth and decent gates is easily obtainable but it'll take a few years in the second tier to get them up.

We don't own our stadium but 'we' do own the land on which the current temporary stand is situated. We could build the 4th stand as a mirror of the existing North Stand but a two-tier job with hotel would be a better bet. Our stadium was designed as 12,000 seater, with 15,000 were the corners to be filled in and the stands are designed to have a second tier added (planning permission might be tricky) so should the wealthy chap who owns AFCB decide he wants Prem football and is prepared to subsidise the squad to get there, then we could easily get 30,000+ gates (yes, catchment area is greater than Southampton, thanks to Portsmouth)

So really, if you ignore the guff about big club/little club, it'll come down to:
- how much if there is? (just to let you know, I believe it's actually £2.2million)
- how useful is it to have a transfer window for media outlets?

Brighton and Hove was the largest local authority by population in the South East with 273,000 people, an increase of 23,500 (9 per cent) between 2001 and 2011 - thats without Shoreham, Worthing Mid Sussex, Eastbourne, Hastings, Lewes, Seaford, Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill etc etc. I reckon it's nearer the million mark

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
so should the wealthy chap who owns AFCB decide he wants Prem football and is prepared to subsidise the squad to get there, then we could easily get 30,000+ gates (yes, catchment area is greater than Southampton, thanks to Portsmouth)

?

As a point of interest do you sell out every home game at the moment? If you don't I'd suggest the 30K easy comment is wide of the mark. The support has to be there at Championship level and you are on the back of a promotion season and a decent start in the Championship, not having been there for a while. Most teams in this league draw decent crowds too. You should be selling out easily every game if you are to have any chance of being able to draw in 30,000 in the Premier, should the money be thrown at the stadium.

As a point of reference when Albion were at Withdean and went into the Championship tickets were like gold dust, even taking into account that our facilities were far worse than yours are.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
HKFC - please can you reply. Or were you on a wind-up?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

- how useful is it for media outlets, to have a transfer window ?

Pure fantasy. And, at the very least, we are Prem ready NOW. Bournemouth must be 3-4 years away at best and probably never will be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here