Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Mason and Lewis Grabban

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So, for our AFCB contributor, what happens with the rest of Dorset? Do you not draw much support from there, or is the county full of Man U, Chelsea, etc, fans? Having family friends down there, it seems quite a prosperous county, though full of weekending Londoners. And what about Poole? Is it one of those places that gets great support for its non-league club or do the Cherries draw a fair bit of support there? Poole Town are best known of course as the club Swindon signed Charlie Austin from.

Our club never used to make much effort to tap potential support in the far flung parts of Sussex - the north east of the county used to be Charlton territory, with some support for other London clubs. Now, with the help of the now retired stadium manager and thanks largely to one guy's efforts, a village previously best known as the home of Rudyard Kipling sends two coachloads of fans down to each home game, they have an active supporters' group, and there are groups from all parts of the county. Do you think that will happen with the Cherries?

As for Lewis Grabban, yes he was quite good against us, so we shall just wait and see what happens. He could be a useful addition alongside Mason if we get him, depending on what happens with Ulloa - I hope his poor performance on Saturday was down to his not being match fit. The player that really rankles with me is Steve Cook. Sure, he wasn't a regular in our side, he wanted first team football and you offered him a good opportunity, but he would be just the solution for our ageing defence, which we will have to replace over the next season or so.

To be fair to AFCB Bloke, pop of Dorset is 690k whereas E. Sussex is 530k and W.Sussex is about 800k. I know we have Crawley to put up with but they only make a small dent!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
One thing I really don't understand is our current transfer budget. We here stories about us being priced out of moves for players yet it doesn't make sense. We were told (by both Bloom and Barber) that the player budget has actually had a slight increase than the budget last season. Last season we didn't spend any excessive money bar the £2million for Ulloa. We also bid £2.5million for van Dijk, meaning that we had that money in the budget. By my maths, that means that this seasons transfer budget would be £4.5million + a slight increase (possibly 500k more) so it should be around £5million. During last summer, I think I'm right in saying the only money we paid out was compensation to MK Dongs for Chicksen. So surley we should have £5million to spend?

I would not see that way. It is too up in the air.

I bet we have budgeted for 25 over-21 players on the wages bill and we have 24 at the moment. If Bridcutt goes there is room for two more.

So it will be a striker and a midfielder. We have got to think about next season. I don't think there is any point in signing Conway or Mason unless we see them in our plans for next season. I don't see either player good enough for the Premier. Grabban might have the potential?

I think we have been one player short for most of the season. At a wild guess a player signed for £1.1 million would balance the books nicely. The most we could expect.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Of course they should try.
The Bournemouth fan has come on here after their main striker is linked with you, and is ridiculed for supporting a small club with small crowds.
Short memories and all that.

We haven't forgotten about you, honest.....

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
just hope they win v burton tonight as have a nice bet riding on it!!!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
wudnt that be CMS role?

Yes, but it's good to have options as well as back up on the bench. Besides, even if CMS does make a come back in the DS this month, as hoped, he isn't going to be anywhere near full fitness and pace until at least March.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, but it's good to have options as well as back up on the bench. Besides, even if CMS does make a come back in the DS this month, as hoped, he isn't going to be anywhere near full fitness and pace until at least March.

given that we only play one up front....are u anticipating a change in formation.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
given that we only play one up front....are u anticipating a change in formation.

I'm expecting a 4-3-3 with CMS playing off of Ulloa and a winger on the other side.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I'm expecting a 4-3-3 with CMS playing off of Ulloa and a winger on the other side.

If we look at how Lua Lua has been playing recently, I would imagine the winger would have a free roam order. Lua Lua was restricted to the wings under Poyet, yet under Garcia appears to be able to roam more freely, which has lead to him being more dangerous.

Imagine Lua Lua and CMS with Ulloa as the targetman....oh one can wet himself...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If we look at how Lua Lua has been playing recently, I would imagine the winger would have a free roam order. Lua Lua was restricted to the wings under Poyet, yet under Garcia appears to be able to roam more freely, which has lead to him being more dangerous.

Imagine Lua Lua and CMS with Ulloa as the targetman....oh one can wet himself...

I agree. Very, very exciting. And not forgetting Buckley and March.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I agree. Very, very exciting. And not forgetting Buckley and March.

And the possibility of Conway coming back. I think Buckley needs that extra competition to prove himself, as he's so inconsistent. Lua Lua so far has been showing that real exciting form again, even looks as though he's really enjoying playing at the moment.

The depth of our team over the past 2 years has grown immensly, I think with Crofts unfortunately injured (and may he recover ASAP) this also gives our midfield much more chance to prove themselves. Ince is a sure start IMO, and we often need the creativity of Orlandi. So I think this is a chance for Kemy to step up and really show us what he's about, he could add that extra muscle to the midfield. He also likes his audacious passing, whilst really risky, could pay dividends if we can get him in great form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here