Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Joe Gomez has 11 England caps...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He also turned us down when we tried to get him on loan a few years ago.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
He signed a new contract last season, reportedly on £85k.

They're stuck with him until 2027. :lolol:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
... and Lewis Dunk has one.

Let's just leave that there.

It makes no sense whatsoever.
Can't think why.. I mean, he is a Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup winner, who also went through the entire England youth levels, won the Euro Under 17s and can be used as a back up for England in LCB, RCB, LB, RB and DM?

As a squad player, it's not that much of a shock that a 25 year old who's a 6-7/10 player but plays in 5 positions gets more caps than a 31 year old player 9/10 player who plays in 1 is it?

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Can't think why.. I mean, he is a Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup winner, who also went through the entire England youth levels, won the Euro Under 17s and can be used as a back up for England in LCB, RCB, LB, RB and DM?

As a squad player, it's not that much of a shock that a 25 year old who's a 6-7/10 player but plays in 5 positions gets more caps than a 31 year old player 9/10 player who plays in 1 is it?
Not my point buster.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Felt sorry for the kid when he got hooked and trudged off. An absolute horror show.

VVD gets away with it again though as the focus is on Gomez like it is on TAA usually, but he has had a dreadful season. For a player with such a high reputation, and an even bigger one of himself, he has been awful.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

If you count LCB & RCB as two positions for Gomez, why do you count them as one for Dunk? Gomez has played 10 of his 11 England appearances at CB. He played 20 minutes at RB in a 7-0 against Montenegro four years ago and has never been used there since. According to Transfermarkt, he has never played in defensive midfield for Liverpool or Charlton. Therefore your argument boils down to 'He might be able to cover at right back'. England aren't short on right backs.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don’t want to be aftertiming, but never rated him highly whatsoever. Dunk far better as is Ben White.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Not my point buster.
Apologies, I read your point as "Why has Dunk played less for England than Gomez". The answer being: A regular in the England set up since he was a kid and a versatile player that has competed consistently at the highest level since his move from Charlton. If the question was "Dunk should have more caps", then I agree entirely.
If you count LCB & RCB as two positions for Gomez, why do you count them as one for Dunk? Gomez has played 10 of his 11 England appearances at CB. He played 20 minutes at RB in a 7-0 against Montenegro four years ago and has never been used there since. According to Transfermarkt, he has never played in defensive midfield for Liverpool or Charlton. Therefore your argument boils down to 'He might be able to cover at right back'. England aren't short on right backs.
That's a very fair point, it's because I was typing quickly. On the rest of it, I got the positional piece from Liverpool's website: "Signed as an 18-year-old from Charlton Athletic in the summer of 2015, he has since featured for the Reds at centre-back, right-back and left-back"

Either way, the versatility piece is only part of the argument I was making as to why Gomez is picked 11 times for England and Dunk only once. In isolation, none of the points are enough in my opinion but Southgate seems to value players schooled through the England youth ranks, versatility and high level experience.

Dunk is objectively a better central defender, Gomez is objectively in rotten form.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Apologies, I read your point as "Why has Dunk played less for England than Gomez". The answer being: A regular in the England set up since he was a kid and a versatile player that has competed consistently at the highest level since his move from Charlton. If the question was "Dunk should have more caps", then I agree entirely.

That's a very fair point, it's because I was typing quickly. On the rest of it, I got the positional piece from Liverpool's website: "Signed as an 18-year-old from Charlton Athletic in the summer of 2015, he has since featured for the Reds at centre-back, right-back and left-back"

Either way, the versatility piece is only part of the argument I was making as to why Gomez is picked 11 times for England and Dunk only once. In isolation, none of the points are enough in my opinion but Southgate seems to value players schooled through the England youth ranks, versatility and high level experience.

Dunk is objectively a better central defender, Gomez is objectively in rotten form.
If you read Paul Hayward's autobiography of England you can see that Southgate is very influenced by the England Academy philosophy. If you were part of that academy and came through the ranks then you're more likely to feature. Southgate believes - with merit - that the international team should not just be a team of the best performing individuals, but a team that knows each other well.

I'm supporting your point here.

However, I think that Southgate should have bitten the bullet a few years ago and got Dunk into the system. I'm sure even Southgate would say that he's missed an opportunity. Sadly, it's sailed and I doubt Lewis, or Solly, will ever get a look in.

The question is - which members of our youth academy are regularly being invited to St George's Park. Anyone know?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
PS Gomez is not good enough. I wouldn't have him in our team. I assume that's £85k a year he's on?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Had an absolute shocker last night. Can't say I've ever been particularly impressed by him but his recent form has been on par with Maguire's at his lowest ebb.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Very good and exciting when he broke through but just very average for years now.

Decent backup in a mid table team perhaps but no where near good enough to play as much as he does in Liverpool.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

One position ?

I think you will find that Lewis has never conceded when he has taken over in goal. Yet another thing Gomez can't do :rolleyes:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Had an absolute shocker last night. Can't say I've ever been particularly impressed by him but his recent form has been on par with Maguire's at his lowest ebb.
Not sure Virgil Van Dijk was much better to be honest, they were both way off the levels needed against a team of Real Madrid’s quality last night.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you read Paul Hayward's autobiography of England you can see that Southgate is very influenced by the England Academy philosophy. If you were part of that academy and came through the ranks then you're more likely to feature. Southgate believes - with merit - that the international team should not just be a team of the best performing individuals, but a team that knows each other well.

I'm supporting your point here.

However, I think that Southgate should have bitten the bullet a few years ago and got Dunk into the system. I'm sure even Southgate would say that he's missed an opportunity. Sadly, it's sailed and I doubt Lewis, or Solly, will ever get a look in.

The question is - which members of our youth academy are regularly being invited to St George's Park. Anyone know?
Rushworth I'm pretty sure about, plus Weir, I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here