Joe Ely

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
I know there are quite a few alt country fans on NSC, so I would be grateful for any recommendations on Joe Ely albums.

I went to see Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt play at the Shepherds Bush Empire last night. I was already in seventh heaven seeing two of my favourite songwriters together on the same stage, when Joe Ely came on as an unscheduled guest artist for the latter part of the gig. I thought he had a fantastic voice and would be very interested in investigating his music. I have a vague memory that he collaborated with the Clash at some point - I think that Joe Strummer rated him? I just have one track by him - Gallo de cielo - and would be interested to hear what the NSC cognoscenti rate as his best work. Cheers.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The vinyl albums I have don't appear to be available on CD but the complilation 'From Lubbock To Laredo', which is, seems to have most of his best stuff like 'Boxcars', 'She Never Spoke Spanish To Me' and 'Because of The Wind'. He is part of a West Texas music scene that also included Butch Hancock and Jimmie Dale Gilmore. Rosie Flores is also worth checking out.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
I'll be honest in that I am not familiar with Joe Ely; however, I find the allmusic website very reliable in their recommendations. As you can see from the link, they rate Honky Tonk Masquerade as his best work (excluding compilations).

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=JOE|ELY&sql=11:hifixqe5ldhe~T20

Cheers, Smithy, will definitely check that one out. I must say that he doesn't look quite as youthful any more as on the picture on the website, but then who of does?!

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
The vinyl albums I have don't appear to be available on CD but the complilation 'From Lubbock To Laredo', which is, seems to have most of his best stuff like 'Boxcars', 'She Never Spoke Spanish To Me' and 'Because of The Wind'. He is part of a West Texas music scene that also included Butch Hancock and Jimmie Dale Gilmore. Rosie Flores is also worth checking out.

Thanks to you too, Cheshunt. The compilation sounds like a good starting point. Also want to get hold some of Dave Alvin's solo stuff. I have quite a few tracks from Uncut compilations, and they're all belters (and all Tom Russell covers, I think).

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Joe Ely 'Live at Antones' , ' Twisting in the Wind', 'Letter to Laredo', Dave Alvin and The Guilty Men ' Interstate City' and Robert Earl Keen 'No.2 Live Diner' worth checking out.
Not forgetting John Hiatt's 'Master of Disaster' title track just about sums me and my radio show up !!!
Hope this is of help.:wave:

Saw him supporting the Robert Cray Band at the Hammersmith Odeon ages ago and he was one of those support acts that was as good, if not slightly better, than the headliner. Have got a "best of" called "No bad talk or loud talk" and a live album lurking in the loft. Will be digging them out soon to refresh my memory - recall a track called "Domino" (or possibly "Row of Dominoes") which kicked bottoms live.

Reiterate recommendation to listen to Dave Alvin stuff,also virtually any Steve Earle to reinforce the fact that there is more to Country Music than Shania Twain and Garth Brooks.

Quite a lot on Spotify (the home workers friend) for Earle and Alvin, not so much for Ely tho'.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Have just seen these last two posts. Thanks for all the tips, everyone.

TFM, John Hiatt sang "Master of Disaster" on Monday, and very good it was too. I can certainly relate to the sentiments!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports