Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Jobsworths

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I am sure there have been similar posts before, but sometimes something happens that just makes you think WTF.

I have just had a very snotty letter from my local benefits office, reminding me I should notify them as to any changes in my income, spelling out the penalties I can face for failing to do so.

They informed me that HMRC had notified them of a change in the amount I get from a small pension and that they have reassessed my housing benefit claim back to January 2018. (I hadn’t notified the council myself as it was such a small change).

The result of this extensive piece of work, delivered by second class mail is that I owe them the princely sum of 14p - to add insult to stupidity they then notified me that the amount was below their recovery threshold so no further action would be taken!

This blatant jobsworthery makes my blood boil and makes you wonder whatever happened to good old common sense! Rant over...

I work in transactional print, and the amount of debt chasing letters we print, for piddling little amounts is ridiculous. I did once suggest to a very well known credit company, that as part of data processing, we have the capability to filter out debt recovery letters where the amount owed is less than say the cost of sending the letter, but they were not having any of it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For the first time in forty six years I had to go to the Brighton job centre. I had to pack up work due to losing my eye to cancer. Lady said 'I'm sure we will get you back to work soon'.
A few weeks later I had a seizure due to a tumour on my brain. Luckily we no longer have to get past the security guards anymore!

Sounds really crap - hope you're recovering. Probably best not to let other posters get your blood pressure up.............

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
While I am lying here with nothing better to do I've just had the post delivered. Last week [MENTION=26444]Wrong Direction[/MENTION] and I spent half an hour at my bank arranging for him to become a signatory on our business account. We filled out the forms with the help of the bank manager and off we went. I've just received a letter from the bank saying that they cannot proceed as we didn't make it clear which address needed changes. We now have a three page document to fill in fffffsake!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I am sure there have been similar posts before, but sometimes something happens that just makes you think WTF.

I have just had a very snotty letter from my local benefits office, reminding me I should notify them as to any changes in my income, spelling out the penalties I can face for failing to do so.

They informed me that HMRC had notified them of a change in the amount I get from a small pension and that they have reassessed my housing benefit claim back to January 2018. (I hadn’t notified the council myself as it was such a small change).

The result of this extensive piece of work, delivered by second class mail is that I owe them the princely sum of 14p - to add insult to stupidity they then notified me that the amount was below their recovery threshold so no further action would be taken!

This blatant jobsworthery makes my blood boil and makes you wonder whatever happened to good old common sense! Rant over...

Computer generated letter, calm down.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
In the mid 90’s my mother was diagnosed with a terminal heart condition. This was told to me by the hospital consultant. We applied for an allowance to help with cost of care, home visits etc and whatever else might have been involved at the time. To get this allowance we had to provide written evidence from both a hospital consultant and her GP that her condition was terminal, which we did.

A couple of weeks as I recall later, not too sure of the exact of the time scale, I received a phone call from someone who worked in the governmental office that decided who did and who didn’t qualify for this allowance. This person went on to tell me how, in their opinion, my mothers’ condition was not terminal. This was mid morning, I handed the phone to my girlfriend (now my wife). I’m sure you can imagine how she ripped into the caller as I had only left the hospital an hour or so earlier after my mother had died!

I really don’t hold a grudge against that person, but I do hate a system that ignores the opinion of two medical professionals over that of a minion ticking boxes.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I happen to agree with your posts more than you think. We got off on the wrong foot and like most things it escalated. I'm currently lying on my bed with a fan on full after having another MRI scan yesterday.
Plumbing was a lot easier!

When I was fixing our tap the other day, after some advice from a retired plumber geezer, I found myself also lying on my back doing the job.
I thought this plumbing larks easy :wink:

Best wishes from us both :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was in Germany the other week. After a hot day's museum-ing I was gagging for a lager. Hotel bar could offer me a small Pilsner in a small Pilsner glass or a large Weissbier in a large Weissbier glass. Could I have two small Pilsners in a large Weissbier glass? 'No, not possible'. Sake!

Wouldn’t happen in Germany.

Oh.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
While I am lying here with nothing better to do I've just had the post delivered. Last week [MENTION=26444]Wrong Direction[/MENTION] and I spent half an hour at my bank arranging for him to become a signatory on our business account. We filled out the forms with the help of the bank manager and off we went. I've just received a letter from the bank saying that they cannot proceed as we didn't make it clear which address needed changes. We now have a three page document to fill in fffffsake!

Don't get me started on banks. I'm currently in the midst of a near year-long battle to get the signature mandate changed on a business account. Amongst a whole host of bullshit reasons for forms being rejected, one of them was that I hadn't filled out a particular section in one of the forms. There was a fairly simple reason why I hadn't completed it - mainly because it didn't exist! One of the other reasons that the form was rejected was because my grandfather, one of the current signatories, hadn't signed the form. There's also a fairly simple reason why he hadn't completed it - mainly because he died 2 years ago and it was his death that prompted these changes in the first place.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was in Germany the other week. After a hot day's museum-ing I was gagging for a lager. Hotel bar could offer me a small Pilsner in a small Pilsner glass or a large Weissbier in a large Weissbier glass. Could I have two small Pilsners in a large Weissbier glass? 'No, not possible'. Sake!

Blimey, I've never been in a German bar where they didn't offer a choice of a grosses or kleines when ordering a beer - you must have been very unlucky to find the only bar that didn't.

Like Belgians, they're very keen to serve the right beer in the right glass so I'm not surprised they wouldn't serve a pils in a weizen glass, however.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I would wager that was in Bavaria, very fussy about shit like that, try getting a weisswurst after mid day

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A few idiots are making this less of a thing....last time I offered (to a lady probably in her mid 60s I guess who looked like she was flagging a bit) she snapped back 'Why do you think I need a seat any more than you do ?' :shrug::shrug:

I apologised and said that I was just trying to be courteous, but **** you if you want to be shitty about it, when something similar happened to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here