Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Job interview - advice needed

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Were you on any sort of term type contract? If you can sell it that your contract is coming to an end rather than being chosen for redundancy, it looks better. Otherwise, you could always explain why you are one of those being made redundant - such as 'no longer doing the work I am employed to do' or 'top of the tree - so they need to cut costs at the top', or something similar.

When I was interviewed for my current job (albeit 23 years ago now) I had just finished work at a different council. My fixed-term contract was not being renewed, and the council were, at that time, officially stating that it was because of cuts that they couldn't renew it (and stated that in my reference). Although privately, they were also stating I was being fired for gross misconduct - despite them losing an appeal against that reason.

Obviously I stressed their 'official' reason rather than that we had fallen out.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Having just retired from the brewing industry at 56 I need to still earn money and just had the hardest interview of my life. I'm going back to self employment and asked myself some very hard questions. Waiting for the answer to getting the job has taken 3 months.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The OP’s situation is different though. Your candidate stated she was working for a company but had left “months earlier.“…that’s a clear lie. The OP is still working for a company albeit seeing out a notice period. Is there a need to volunteer this info? Curious. If I was in the OP’s position I’d probably mention it at the end of the interview given there’s nothing to hide.
Very true. I think on the balance of everything I'd just be upfront about it, and head it off by saying "I do hope that if this process goes well, that it isn't going to affect my negotiating position when if/ when the time comes".

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Most companies will have a budget in mind and if the hiring manager isn’t the owner or something I doubt they’d try and take advantage. Most companies want happy staff so screwing them over for a few grand a year if it’s budgeted for probably isn’t in their interest

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don't blame you at all - that really is a bit crap.

That said, we do often screen applicants we are less confident of, via brief skype interviews - then invite in the ones who come across well in that for a proper interview.

It is a little impersonal but it saves wasting a lot of time and expense (on their part, more than ours, tbh) in travelling, and taking time out from their existing job - for what might be an almost immediate no.

(And it highlights the people who are comfortable / uncomfortable communicating via such media - which ultimately is quite important in the role)
True story, I was installing some electrical equipment in a corporate type office two guys had the job of going through these webcam type interviews and any female they didn’t rate in looks was binned. It got to the point of asking me lads being lads I guess if I would or not. Funny at the time although it’s not fair at all.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
As an MD of a recruitment company, my advice would be that you have two options: Come clean and give them the full facts, or commit to the lie but be prepared to get caught out. Coming clean definitely lowers your negotiation power a bit, but it shows you are trustworthy. Depending on the reasons you have been let go.

The problem with not mentioning it is that, depending on how small a world your industry is, they may well find out. I had this happen a few months ago, I interviewed someone who told me she was working for a company I used to work for years ago, and wasn't smart enough to realise that I would probably still have some contacts there. I did some digging and found out she'd left a few months earlier. That was the end of the process. Had she been up front about it, I'd have probably hired her.

That said, had she not been working for a company I had contacts at, I may never have found out, and she would have been able to negotiate a better package than she would have had done if I'd have known she was out of work.
This is a poorer reflection of you than it is of her, to be honest.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
"
my top tip is....biggest mistaken most people forget at an interview is YOU are there to interview THEM too
"Tell me about your experience Mr stephens"

"Why don't you tell Mr about  your experience 'Gary', if thats even your real name"

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I have a job interview next week, however I have just been let go by my current employer and am now working out a notice period.
Should I tell the interview panel that I am now out of work, or does this shift the power of negotiation(salary etc) to the prospective employer if they know that i'm no longer employed?

The above doesn't have any bearing on a prospective start date, as this would still be 7 or 8 weeks away

Thanks in advance
are they making you redundant?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Excellent and often forgotten point.

There’s a new trend (I say new, I mean relatively new particularly since COVID) for something called a “one way interview”. They basically record you answering pre-written questions into your webcam or phone and then IF they like you, you get a proper interview.

I was “invited” to one of these after applying for something, and I said no, because I also want to talk to them about what they can offer me.

They replied back saying “You aren’t the kind of person we’re looking for”. Yeah - I have a feeling I dodged a bullet there.
My understanding is there’s a lot going on in that industry now. People aren’t getting interviews because AI is excluding their CVs for a range of reasons, for example.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
True story, I was installing some electrical equipment in a corporate type office two guys had the job of going through these webcam type interviews and any female they didn’t rate in looks was binned. It got to the point of asking me lads being lads I guess if I would or not. Funny at the time although it’s not fair at all.
I should imagine that process is pretty much how Sky Sports appoint their female presenters! :)

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He’s head of a recruitment company ie the type of company that sets the rules to the game and gatekeeps peoples’ ability to get a job.

He’s unhappy that she’s played the game and that he’s used his own contacts to find the flaw in her ability to play the game, and has used his power not to hire someone who he admits is a good candidate, just because she tried to play the game, all whilst knowing that her playing the game was the only way she may enjoy a good negotiating position.

As I say, it’s not a good look.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He’s head of a recruitment company ie the type of company that sets the rules to the game and gatekeeps peoples’ ability to get a job.

He’s unhappy that she’s played the game and that he’s used his own contacts to find the flaw in her ability to play the game, and has used his power not to hire someone who he admits is a good candidate, just because she tried to play the game, all whilst knowing that her playing the game was the only way she may enjoy a good negotiating position.

As I say, it’s not a good look.
But in this case, the 'flaw' in her game, was that she proved herself dishonest. Why should he want to employ somebody who lied to him?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nice one I had you down as someone possibly in construction 🤣 I’m always interested in what other S/E people do for a living.
Funnily enough, I love a bit of building, but mostly to marvel at how it's done, as opposed to doing it myself. I'm probably better at the demolition side of things, rather than construction :lolol: Love a bit of bricklaying though – that was originally part of my freelance life plan.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The thing about CV’s etc is not proof of the pudding I’ve given people a day trial before I can tell pretty much if A I would like to work with them and B are they any good.
My best ever employee was an Irish guy his up sell was incredible and he was making me and him a fortune. Unfortunately his brother got a gig installing data cable in New Zealand and he went to join him.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
But in this case, the 'flaw' in her game, was that she proved herself dishonest. Why should he want to employ somebody who lied to him?
Because everyone lies in interviews.

Because he’s withholding information about his previous positions in order to catch her out.

Quite frankly, I wouldn’t want to work for someone as dishonest as him.

And the only reason he wants to know the ‘truth’ is so he can negotiate down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here