Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Job decision help

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
You made the decision to go for a job interview at another company for a reason. Does accepting more money in your current role solve the reason why you went for a job interview in the first place? If not then you will be looking again in less than 6 months.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think in my head I know I'm onto a good number where I am now, but know it's not testing me and making best use if my potential.

For me personally, this is the key. I always wanted to push myself and learn more. (I also made it quite clear to staff that i wouldn't offer more money if they resigned and that if they thought their money was unreasonable, come and talk to me). I think increasing money when you have a resignation is a very slippery slope - are you listening B'Muff.

If it was me, i would go for the new job, but you need to decide for yourself. Good luck

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm edging with I'm generally a man of my word and I've excepted the new job so that choice is made, and I'd feel a bit stupid after making it fairly public about my choice to leave then going back on it. I think it's partly just fear of the unknown. I think in my head I know I'm onto a good number where I am now, but know it's not testing me and making best use if my potential.

Someone asked what your family think about this move. Do they support you? If so then go for it. As I pointed out you seem very capable and your skills are needed so if the new move does not work out then it should not be difficult to unpick the situation especially with their support. A few years elsewhere will look good on the CV as well. I do not know what you do but quietly make people aware you're self-employed..it might come in useful later down the line. A number of people have questioned being self-employed but I enjoy it and cannot ever see myself going back to PAYE; I find it easier all round and I am not convinced a permanent job is better security; a good friend of mine was PAYE at a company which started making redundancies....the last to leave where the freelancers.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'm edging with I'm generally a man of my word and I've excepted the new job so that choice is made, and I'd feel a bit stupid after making it fairly public about my choice to leave then going back on it. I think it's partly just fear of the unknown. I think in my head I know I'm onto a good number where I am now, but know it's not testing me and making best use if my potential.

That last sentence holds the key.

I once worked a safe job. I knew what was expected of me, and I knew what I could/couldn't get away with. The pay was OK.

I took a risk and joined a new company, in an industry I didn't know - but weirdly still needed my skills. The first sixth months was one of the steepest learning curves of my life. It was hard, it was new, it was far away and it was very, very stressful. But I'm SO glad I made the move. I've been here over two years now, and my skillset has HUGELY improved. Mostly because I was pushing myself. There are moments when the stress seems too much but I do enjoy what I do and I've been allowed to grow and develop my role. I'm now earning more than double what I used to and I feel very happy with my prospects.

So for me it worked. I'd say if you're happy to take on the learning curve and deal with the stress of the unknown for a few months, it could work out well for you. It's difficult taking on new skills but it's better than stagnating. Whatever you do, leave your current role on good terms and with as many contacts as possible. You never know when you'll need them.

Good luck :thumbsup: and go for it!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
One thing to be wary of if working for someone as "self-employed", is that they can get rid of you very easily. On PAYE, you have all sorts of legal rights, such as holiday entitlement, sick pay, overtime, etc. You have none of this being self-employed. If a boss decides he can't afford you in the months or years to come, he can just dump you.

If your present job doesn't challenge you enough, then tell your boss this. He has offered you more money to stay, so tell him you would consider it if your job was more challenging. (Your boss is sometimes an arse because someone above him is leaning on HIM and being an arse. Just the way of things.)

Don't worry about back-tracking if you have (truly) changed your mind. It's your life and your opportunity and if your present boss has asked you to stay, then this shows his confidence in you. That could be useful to you.

Other things to think about are whether the commuting distance is much further and whether it will affect your family life and social life. Would you miss the people you currently work with? Are there any better prospects in either company? Extra study for qualifications you are interested in? And, importantly, what does your family think of this prospective move?

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
Thank you everyone for your advice, as I said I've never been in this position before and never realised it can be so stressful! I've really been struggling over it, which I though was unlike me.
I've decided to stay on where Iam as I think the new job may not be as good as first seemed, as I would have been working out of town and paying my own fuel but on the same money.
When I spoke to my boss he agreed he had let my role just tick over as all seemed ok but has agreed to A. Pay me a fair amount more and B. try harder to run and promote my work, in turn making me busier. He also said my handing my notice and setting a date to leave gave him the kick he needed to change things.
With my second baby on the way I don't think now is the best time to jump ship even if it doesn't work out long term. My only regret is rushing to make a choice. I told the guy today ive had an offer to stay I couldn't refuse, although not overly impressed he said he understands, but I do feel like a bit of a prat after telling friends/work and family I was defiantly going only to change my mind 2 days later.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Thank you everyone for your advice, as I said I've never been in this position before and never realised it can be so stressful! I've really been struggling over it, which I though was unlike me.
I've decided to stay on where Iam as I think the new job may not be as good as first seemed, as I would have been working out of town and paying my own fuel but on the same money.
When I spoke to my boss he agreed he had let my role just tick over as all seemed ok but has agreed to A. Pay me a fair amount more and B. try harder to run and promote my work, in turn making me busier. He also said my handing my notice and setting a date to leave gave him the kick he needed to change things.
With my second baby on the way I don't think now is the best time to jump ship even if it doesn't work out long term. My only regret is rushing to make a choice. I told the guy today ive had an offer to stay I couldn't refuse, although not overly impressed he said he understands, but I do feel like a bit of a prat after telling friends/work and family I was defiantly going only to change my mind 2 days later.

I think you have done the right thing and you have still achieved change in your job. Mission accomplished.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Good luck. I just hope the job you've chosen doesn't involve spelling or punctuation.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have been offered numerous jobs recently via Linked In and being contacted by HR recruitment companies (especially as there will be an upturn) and turned them down as although fabulous pay not always the right move or comparable over all.

QUOTE]

offered jobs or invited to apply? LinkedIn is gradually losing credibility because of the lack of validation of the info and its hi jacking by the recruitment agencies.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have been offered numerous jobs recently via Linked In and being contacted by HR recruitment companies (especially as there will be an upturn) and turned them down as although fabulous pay not always the right move or comparable over all.

QUOTE]

offered jobs or invited to apply? LinkedIn is gradually losing credibility because of the lack of validation of the info and its hi jacking by the recruitment agencies.

I suppose the way it is worded it looks like offered but I take the point it is probably an invite to apply. Agree on LinkedIn being shit it is just a tool people use to self-promote themselves on achievements at work.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I suppose the way it is worded it looks like offered but I take the point it is probably an invite to apply. Agree on LinkedIn being shit it is just a tool people use to self-promote themselves on achievements at work.

I wasn't disbelieving you but I see LinkedIn going the same way as Facebook. I totally agree with your concise summary! Some of the achievements I read of colleagues and ex colleagues are quite astonishing

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I wasn't disbelieving you but I see LinkedIn going the same way as Facebook. I totally agree with your concise summary! Some of the achievements I read of colleagues and ex colleagues are quite astonishing

Indeed I received an email last week inviting me to congratulate someone at work for working for us for 5 years, FFS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here