Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Joaquin Phoenix to play Napoleon

el punal

Oh don't worry on this occasion we are portrayed as the bad guys and no doubt English actors will be playing the parts of the Germans, the Americans will play the parts of the Russians and Liam Neeson will play all the French soldiers using special effects.
Napoleon was a misunderstood hard done by great leader and was terribly treated by the British.

Which in fairness has an element of truth to it.

He should have stayed on Elba, a much more agreeable climate than St.Helena. But no, he wanted to have his last battle. At least some good came out of it - we have the largest station in the U.K. named after it, the Kinks did one of the all time classics with its sunset and it kicked off Abba’s rise to fame. :drink:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Napoleon escaped the rope by the skin of his teeth. Upon reflection, I’m sure he would have preferred death on a battlefield.

Did you know, he wasn’t even short for his time? Everyone bangs on about it but he was actually average height. Just another of the many myths.

Vive L’Emperor!

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
In Ridley Scott's biopic of the French Emperor, 'Kitbag', the title coming from Bonaparte's quote "There's a General's staff in every soldier's kitbag"

After the Joker Phoenix arguably has to be one of the best actors at the moment, lets hope the cinema's are all up and running by the time its released?

I thought it was "a Marshal's baton" but it's the same thing really.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Corsican rather than French .......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True, but Corsica was an integral part of the Kingdom of Genoa for about 5-600 years, and pretty much when Napoleon was born. The Corsicans spoke and wrote in Italian, (as did Napoleon before he went to a French military academy), so technically he was Italian.

In his early years Napoleon, and in the face of a French invasion of Corsica, which the Genoese were too weak to resist, Napoleon was on the side of the Corsican insurgents.

In those days the French were still Royalist, and Napoleon’s family like other Corsican nobles was paid off to support the French claim to Corsica, and as part of the deal he was sent off to a French military academy.

He was no more French than he was a republican revolutionary............merely one of history’s greatest chancers.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I always hoped somebody would turn the Simon scarrow books into a film,youngbloods, generals and Waterloo following the lives of Wellington and Napoleon from young men to battle of Waterloo.
If I was making this film then I would cast Micheal Fassbender as wellington.he is Irish too same as Wellington was.
Fassbender would be excellent if it was a film based on the Simon scarrow books but I'm guessing this will be mainly about Napoleon so only room for one leading actors so Wellington's role will possibly go to a lesser known actor.
Shame because Fassbender as Wellington Vs phoenix as Napoleon would be magnificent.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I always hoped somebody would turn the Simon scarrow books into a film,youngbloods, generals and Waterloo following the lives of Wellington and Napoleon from young men to battle of Waterloo.
If I was making this film then I would cast Micheal Fassbender as wellington.he is Irish too same as Wellington was.
Fassbender would be excellent if it was a film based on the Simon scarrow books but I'm guessing this will be mainly about Napoleon so only room for one leading actors so Wellington's role will possibly go to a lesser known actor.
Shame because Fassbender as Wellington Vs phoenix as Napoleon would be magnificent.

Trouble is us that Wellington did not see himself as Irish, although born there.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Trouble is us that Wellington did not see himself as Irish, although born there.

Yes,that is is a good point he did kind of turn his back on his Irish roots in quite a rude manner but I often wonder were the seeds of Wellington's victory at Waterloo sown as a young Arthur Woseley growing up in Ireland?.
Anyway Fassbender would be excellent but yes I forgot how Wellington upset a lot of Irish so maybe Fassbender might say no anyway.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
True, but Corsica was an integral part of the Kingdom of Genoa for about 5-600 years, and pretty much when Napoleon was born. The Corsicans spoke and wrote in Italian, (as did Napoleon before he went to a French military academy), so technically he was Italian.

In his early years Napoleon, and in the face of a French invasion of Corsica, which the Genoese were too weak to resist, Napoleon was on the side of the Corsican insurgents.

In those days the French were still Royalist, and Napoleon’s family like other Corsican nobles was paid off to support the French claim to Corsica, and as part of the deal he was sent off to a French military academy.

He was no more French than he was a republican revolutionary............merely one of history’s greatest chancers.

Which was sort of my point. He was Corsican and very proud of it. I find it ironic that France’s greatest general and Leader was neither French nor the establishment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9552418 said:
Am I the only one who can't stand Joaquin Phoenix (and thinks the Joker was shite, mostly because of his "acting")?

Almost certainly

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Yes,that is is a good point he did kind of turn his back on his Irish roots in quite a rude manner but I often wonder were the seeds of Wellington's victory at Waterloo sown as a young Arthur Woseley growing up in Ireland?.
Anyway Fassbender would be excellent but yes I forgot how Wellington upset a lot of Irish so maybe Fassbender might say no anyway.

I think when he was told he was Irish because he was born in Dublin, he replied If one is born a Stable, that does not make one a Horse

The seeds of his Victory were sown in India when he became known as the Sepoy General.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here