Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joao Teixeira

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Tex was good enough to brighten up a depressing season but not good enough to make the difference between us going up.
Showed flashes, but not consistently good enough. Typical loan signing from a big Prem club really.
I'd be surprised if he made it in a top tier European league and I'm also surprised quite a few here would have him back

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Did what he could in a shocking team last season. Would be awesome in our current team, with class players round him.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Apologies to disappoint. Tex undoubtedly has that ability, but my general point is that he requires too many touches and slows the game down. And as you have access to logic, can you let us know how many goals we've scored this season by a series of passes through an opposition? I can point to many where we've exposed them through pace and directness -- these are qualities that Knockaert possesses, on top of creativity, dribbling ability and technique (March and KLL, too).

Don't make a nonsensical point initially without the facts to back it up (which is what your original post did) and then hypocritically demand statistics from the person you're debating with - it undermines your own argument massively.

As to your point about Knockaert - he's yet to play for us. He may be exceptional, he may not. But holding him up as a comparison to Tex who has played for us and who lifted us at a time when those around him were poor, is again a nonsensical argument.

As to your argument about March and KLL, the fact is that they're wide men. Tex isn't. I wouldn't buy Tex to play him in a wide position as you'd be wasting the gifts he has I.e. The ability to dribble past men, pick a pass and the excellent first touch; nor have I suggested we buy him as a wide man. The previously two mentioned players play in a role where they pick the ball up in wide positions, often rather deep, and drive at the defence, which is a positive thing as we need that too. What I'm actually suggesting is that you'd buy Tex to play that role centrally to compliment players like that as he actually has the qualities you're praising them for... But he uses these qualities centrally when used most effectively. In which case he'd be playing off of one striker, rather than the two at present who are often wasted because they're not actually getting service that is that effective, particularly with no central threat behind them and with our first choice wingers injured. What we've missed this season, and one of the reasons we've struggled lately to score goals, is that when our first choice wide men aren't playing, we actually have no one in a central position who will pick the ball up and drive at the opposition defence to create problems, particularly on the counter. That means teams can sit deep against us in the knowledge that we don't have the skill, flair or quality in tight spaces to open them up. He'd offer that directness, but also that creative quality in tight spaces we don't currently have in central areas. You're welcome to not think that's a positive thing for our team, but you're yet to make a compelling case as to why he wouldn't improve our squad.

Oh, and just for the record, (due to a quick look on whoscored.com), of our attacking moves, only 25% come down the middle (which suggests we have trouble creating in those areas despite playing with 2 strikers for the majority of the season), and of our 31 goals, 27 are from open play, which is from a team where only 5% of passes are crosses and only 18% are long balls... That suggests that a creative central player, who can pick a pass, who can dribble with the ball, and who is technically sound would add options to our side that we don't currently have, and that player would also fit the short passing style currently required of the team...

But please, do offer a compelling argument as to how he wouldn't improve us beyond.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Very unfair! Even if we'd had Messi instead of Tex we'd have got nowhere near promotion last season!

Not saying we would, just remember those many games where Tex did nothing. Wilson is a similar signing and an upgrade on Tex in my opinion.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Watching the game I got the feeling the Teixeira Supporters Club were in charge of the commentary. But then he was maybe the only player that anyone had heard of after that Benteki bloke

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Don't make a nonsensical point initially without the facts to back it up (which is what your original post did) and then hypocritically demand statistics from the person you're debating with - it undermines your own argument massively.

As to your point about Knockaert - he's yet to play for us. He may be exceptional, he may not. But holding him up as a comparison to Tex who has played for us and who lifted us at a time when those around him were poor, is again a nonsensical argument.

As to your argument about March and KLL, the fact is that they're wide men. Tex isn't. I wouldn't buy Tex to play him in a wide position as you'd be wasting the gifts he has I.e. The ability to dribble past men, pick a pass and the excellent first touch; nor have I suggested we buy him as a wide man. The previously two mentioned players play in a role where they pick the ball up in wide positions, often rather deep, and drive at the defence, which is a positive thing as we need that too. What I'm actually suggesting is that you'd buy Tex to play that role centrally to compliment players like that as he actually has the qualities you're praising them for... But he uses these qualities centrally when used most effectively. In which case he'd be playing off of one striker, rather than the two at present who are often wasted because they're not actually getting service that is that effective, particularly with no central threat behind them and with our first choice wingers injured. What we've missed this season, and one of the reasons we've struggled lately to score goals, is that when our first choice wide men aren't playing, we actually have no one in a central position who will pick the ball up and drive at the opposition defence to create problems, particularly on the counter. That means teams can sit deep against us in the knowledge that we don't have the skill, flair or quality in tight spaces to open them up. He'd offer that directness, but also that creative quality in tight spaces we don't currently have in central areas. You're welcome to not think that's a positive thing for our team, but you're yet to make a compelling case as to why he wouldn't improve our squad.

Oh, and just for the record, (due to a quick look on whoscored.com), of our attacking moves, only 25% come down the middle (which suggests we have trouble creating in those areas despite playing with 2 strikers for the majority of the season), and of our 31 goals, 27 are from open play, which is from a team where only 5% of passes are crosses and only 18% are long balls... That suggests that a creative central player, who can pick a pass, who can dribble with the ball, and who is technically sound would add options to our side that we don't currently have, and that player would also fit the short passing style currently required of the team...

But please, do offer a compelling argument as to how he wouldn't improve us beyond.

Tex wan't rated in the brief time he spent at Brentford, I don't think he's tough enough for the 46-game Championship.

What Albion need is another Ulloa, someone tall up front who can hold up the ball. Also if only 4 goals have come from set-pieces you need to work on them too. Just putting Dunk and Greer in for corners ain't gonna work with all the tall teams around these days.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
His performance tonight has really put me off getting him back on loan. I can remember one of the first things he said when he turned up last year, and it was that his aim was to try and reduce the number of touches he has. He just requires too many.
Our style of play has shifted this year, it's far more about moving the ball quickly, and we've been most successful when we've done precisely that. I'm not searching through my memory, but we haven't scored goals by passing through the opposition's defence -- that's what you need Tex for. I'd much rather we had pace, and am far happier in getting Knockaert.

Because of just one performance in a banana-skin cup game in a team that's full of strangers against minnows giving their all on a bad pitch on a foul night from a player who's had next to no game time this season? Really?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Personally, I don't get the hype around Tex and think he is just another case of rose tinted nostalgia specs. Yes, he delivered brief moments of brilliance in an otherwise poor season but he was more often than not pretty anonymous during games (something people slated him for at the time but now conveniently forget) and highly frustrating at times as he took too many touches, showed a lack of strength meaning he was easily shoved off the ball and he consistently chose the wrong option. Sure, some of that was probably down to low confidence due to the bad form of the team as a whole but not all of it. I'd imagine, if he was signed, all those traits would soon find their way back in the memories of the NSC faithful. Not to mention he wouldn't fit into the system CH wants to play as we don't play with an attacking midfielder in the no.10 role. And even if we started to to play a variation of 4-5-1/ 4-3-3/ 4-2-3-1 to acomodate Tex a binfest would ensue for playing 'negative' football. Money could be spent better elsewhere IMO.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
I liked Tex.
But he was a young lad last year, with few opportunities for regular first team football. When he came to us he was a focal point. Always expected to do something special but you cant really expect that of someone so inexperienced. He was great at times but, like most other players his age, also went missing at times. You cant really expect somone of his age and experience to run every game and put in a match winning performance. I dont think there is a player aive who could have done that for us last year. This year we have a far better team and he could thrive with us. Im not a manager so no idea how we would play him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Personally, I don't get the hype around Tex and think he is just another case of rose tinted nostalgia specs. Yes, he delivered brief moments of brilliance in an otherwise poor season but he was more often than not pretty anonymous during games (something people slated him for at the time but now conveniently forget) and highly frustrating at times as he took too many touches, showed a lack of strength meaning he was easily shoved off the ball and he consistently chose the wrong option. Sure, some of that was probably down to low confidence due to the bad form of the team as a whole but not all of it. I'd imagine, if he was signed, all those traits would soon find their way back in the memories of the NSC faithful. Not to mention he wouldn't fit into the system CH wants to play as we don't play with an attacking midfielder in the no.10 role. And even if we started to to play a variation of 4-5-1/ 4-3-3/ 4-2-3-1 to acomodate Tex a binfest would ensue for playing 'negative' football. Money could be spent better elsewhere IMO.
Too many touches - yes, when he was looking around wondering when the **** somebody in his team was going to show for a pass! No use passing into a space either - in any half decent team there would be a reasonable expectation that somebody would be galloping into that space hoping for a pass - but not in that shambles we had last year. Like I think most on here, I don't expect to see him back - but I'd be delighted to be wrong about that!

Kevin1024

Jan 15, 2012
I dont think he would improve theteam at the moment. Last night looked one of the better players, but didn't rip the mighty Grecians apart.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Tex wan't rated in the brief time he spent at Brentford, I don't think he's tough enough for the 46-game Championship.

What Albion need is another Ulloa, someone tall up front who can hold up the ball. Also if only 4 goals have come from set-pieces you need to work on them too. Just putting Dunk and Greer in for corners ain't gonna work with all the tall teams around these days.

Oh for sure we need to work on set plays. But that's another thread altogether.

And aren't we supposed to have 2 of those target man types in Hemed and Zamora?

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
What a nice pic, lets hope he might be reunited with them soon. :drool:

That better be an old pic - we are fuelled by beard power. The pic has made me want Texiera to return - not sure he'd actually fit in the team but he'd make Bruno and Calde happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here