[Albion] Joao Pedro Brazilian Maestro

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two huge game breaking performances in a row, we have a player and some

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
I'm with @Machiavelli on this - on the surface it seems like he's waiting for the keeper to dive and chooses the other way. But when you watch closely, at the point João Pedro puts his head down to the ball, there's barely a hint (that I can see) of where the keeper is going. What is he seeing?

And surely if a keeper does his homework, he could just feint one direction and then dive the other? Or not move at all until JP puts his head down?
Because of the way he casually rolls the ball into the net, each one he takes I'm thinking the keeper is going to guess right and make it look like a terrible penalty. Stressful to watch but so far so good. Long may it continue.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Worth adding that, last night, there was a last-millisecond quite exaggerated opening up of the foot to send it to the right.
Another possibility is that he can look at two places -- the ball and the keeper -- simultaneously, but I'd need some robust evidence that humans can do that kind of thing.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
These guys are elite athletes. They have elite attributes across the board. It's likely that he is at the very top for composure and reaction time. Might seem improbable that a player can have a milliseconds edge over others but it's very fine margins at the top. He probably sees something that most of us simply can't.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
Worth adding that, last night, there was a last-millisecond quite exaggerated opening up of the foot to send it to the right.
Another possibility is that he can look at two places -- the ball and the keeper -- simultaneously, but I'd need some robust evidence that humans can do that kind of thing.
Yeah, it's really hard to know what he's looking at! But it works quite well! He's so calm, a fantastic player!

Attachments

• pedro.JPG
    pedro.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 36

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Just reading a piece on the Athletic about our Brazilian number 9. Obviously we know he’s scored 6 penalties this season, but the piece highlighted the fact he has won 5 of them! That is incredible. I knew he’d won a few but it hadn’t occurred to me it was that many. And non of them for the ridiculous soft as shit handball’s we see this season, all of them brilliant bits of skill.

Some, some player. Where would we be without him?!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Hold up play the thing to improve on. He's actually miles better running in behind than he is coming short.

He just needs to cut out the airy fairy flicks, get it under, get us up the pitch.

It sounds like i'm being unduly harsh on the lad, I just think he could be a superstar, the things he has to improve on are relatively easy to work on

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just reading a piece on the Athletic about our Brazilian number 9. Obviously we know he’s scored 6 penalties this season, but the piece highlighted the fact he has won 5 of them! That is incredible. I knew he’d won a few but it hadn’t occurred to me it was that many. And non of them for the ridiculous soft as shit handball’s we see this season, all of them brilliant bits of skill.

If he could cut out the theatrics elsewhere on the pitch, he might start getting more penalties directly awarded, rather than after VAR reviews. I think refs are a bit wary of giving fouls against him.

Jul 7, 2003
I hope he's okay for Sunday; he was hobbling after the match. Probably a massive bruise on his buttock!
Can’t imagine that the four hour flight home will help as that is bound to stiffen up.

I’m sure the club massage and physio teams will have been working on him to give him a chance for Sunday.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

3 of them against AEK.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
For context, last night Aubameyang scored a dreadful penalty for Marseille, not especially powerful and at about 1/3 into the goal from the post, just to the keeper's left.

He then scored *the exact same* dreadful penalty again for the matchwinner.

I know how we should be briefing Bart and Jase for two weeks' time...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’ve said it before, but he really gets us. Throughout the game he was geeing the fans, I think he’s loving being here (and I love him being here).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports