Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joao Pedro Brazilian Maestro

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I've said this a few times, but if you could choose a moment for the musical chairs to stop, you'd pretty much choose the squad we have now.
Exactly. Our transfer window we have just had could be genius! Unless West Ham can finally promote some kids from within they are the sort of squad that strikes me as problematic.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Carrot and stick.

Motivation tactic not just digging him out.
Small amount of idle chatter pre game about 'dressing room bust up' and JP not happy with being mentioned about 'needs to be better for 90mins' - Clearly ridiculous, and post game we could all see the results of a manager who was asking for 'even more' with a quite brilliant all round performance from JP - It's just great man management.!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I've said this a few times, but if you could choose a moment for the musical chairs to stop, you'd pretty much choose the squad we have now.
Not sure. Doesn't our model rely on us buying cheap and selling high? If FFP is forcing the rich clubs to pay less and look for value in younger players (and it is, we're seeing lots more of this) isn't that the worst thing for us? Big fees go and more competition for young stars.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure. Doesn't our model rely on us buying cheap and selling high? If FFP is forcing the rich clubs to pay less and look for value in younger players (and it is, we're seeing lots more of this) isn't that the worst thing for us? Big fees go and more competition for young stars.
We’re miles ahead of the game though…….thriving academy and big stock or promising youngsters, plus a demonstrable and proven pathway to first team football.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
We’re miles ahead of the game though…….thriving academy and big stock or promising youngsters, plus a demonstrable and proven pathway to first team football.
This
We already have so much money in the bank which should see us right for quite a while. We don't need to sell and if clubs don't come up with Tony's valuations we don't sell and we get to keep hold of our best players.
Chelsea, on the other hand, spunked all their cash just before the music stopped.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What Dazzer and Hampshire say.
We'll still continue with the model but I suspect it'll be scaled down, as will transfer fees (until something else comes along). And we've got huge reserves in the bank following on from about five or six windows in which we've made profits -- often substantial ones. Factor in that we're also getting more money from EL, higher PL places, and longer FA Cup runs, and all is looking good.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFP will mean lower transfer fees in the next window I reckon. Big market correction ahead.
Quite probably but the absolute last thing to go down in price will be strikers.

The days of £55m for the likes of Mason Mount may well be over, sorry Tony.
But a 21 year old, who can score from anywhere will aways find a big money buyer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quite probably but the absolute last thing to go down in price will be strikers.

The days of £55m for the likes of Mason Mount may well be over, sorry Tony.
But a 21 year old, who can score from anywhere will aways find a big money buyer.
….but clubs don’t/won’t have the money. Even Chelsea are reportedly needing to find 100m to avoid FFP breaches in the next window before they think about spending anything.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
….but clubs don’t/won’t have the money. Even Chelsea are reportedly needing to find 100m to avoid FFP breaches in the next window before they think about spending anything.
I'm sure you're correct.
I'm equally sure 'they'll find some cash from somewhere'.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm sure you're correct.
I'm equally sure 'they'll find some cash from somewhere'.
They've got the cash, that's not the problem.

They just can't legally spend it.

I agree with those saying the transfer values and likely wage expectations of top players have now halved or more since the Everton points deduction.
What is less clear is how it will affect clubs like us who are holding players, who will certainly want to go the likes of Chelsea or Liverpool, but if the best we're getting offered for Pedro is, say £40m, do we sell or not sell? I can see arguments both ways

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Don’t be so sure about lower transfer fees and wages. Remember the after effect of Covid was supposed to so the same.

It’s a matter of time before these rules are softened or you can kiss goodbye to football as we know it and welcome the Super League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here