Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jiri Skalak

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
He's an okay squad player but not near the standard needed for a PL squad and even at the competitive end of the championship. He has his moments of quality, but any footballer in his position is meant to do that...the odd cross that actually gets to its intended target or a sitter that isn't missed. In terms of consistency he's nowhere near where we need to be. Same can be said for Tomer Hemed.

Obviously I don't dislike them, as a fan, but my heart does sink about 10% when they have the ball. That being said, I'm always ready to be pleasantly surprised.

Dory Glays. - Sorry I just like spoonerising.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Our top goal creator last season despite only being here half the season, and top goal creator this season as well.

Been on a poor run of form lately. When you look at some of the utter SHIT below 6th place in the Prem, I think it's a bit early to write ANY of our first teamers off just yet.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Until he turns his man and smashes it in for the winning goal.

Much the same could be said for the great Jimmy Greaves and Gary Linacre too. Two of the greatest goal scorers of our time, They did very little during the game except loiter somewhere near the penalty spot, but when their chance came they inevitably scored.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Much the same could be said for the great Jimmy Greaves and Gary Linacre too. Two of the greatest goal scorers of our time, They did very little during the game except loiter somewhere near the penalty spot, but when their chance came they inevitably scored.

That doesn't describe Tomer though - he works his nuts off.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am not Skalak's biggest fan but don't you think there have been enough threads on here punching Jiri in the eye. I think the guy deserves a break. He is here to play a part in the push for promotion. This is just another Skalak bashing thread using a different title.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
He just needs a goal or two, maybe like the one that nearly broke the net last season. Confidence is a wonderful thing, it sometimes comes back when you least expect it. Maybe the winning goal from 30 yards against Newcastle might do the trick.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Is it too early to be asking if players are good enough for the Premier League? If not, might I ask the question of Jiri Skalak.

With more minutes this season than both Solly March and Jamie Murphy, Jiri Skalak has not started the last two games against Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff. His crossing seems a lot less accurate of late, his dead ball deliveries don't seem to have the same potency as before. Perhaps it's just a little bit of off form,but I've always been a little bit unconvinced by him.

Perhaps I'm just overreacting though.

You're jumping the gun. This is the Albion so Murphy's law must be assumed to apply until mathmatically impossible (and even then I can imagine some dodgy points deduction...).

Claude samdamme

Mar 8, 2014
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bore off you cretins. Endless threads berating a player when they're off form or you don't rate them is so dull

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Another disgusting thread putting the boot into Jiri :nono:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is it too early to be asking if players are good enough for the Premier League? If not, might I ask the question of Jiri Skalak.

With more minutes this season than both Solly March and Jamie Murphy, Jiri Skalak has not started the last two games against Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff. His crossing seems a lot less accurate of late, his dead ball deliveries don't seem to have the same potency as before. Perhaps it's just a little bit of off form,but I've always been a little bit unconvinced by him.

None of the players you quote in your post are PL level. IMHO, like.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Why do we need to know if he's good enough for the PL, is someone buying him?

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants

Neither Solly or Murphy have come out all guns firing. Murphy in the two games you mention was our worst player, and that is not only my opinion, Solly has been the better of the two, so l cannot see the point you are making, as neither of them have been an improvement. Let's go with Chris's selection, he hasn't done bad up to now.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I like Jiri. He appeals to me, bit of an oddball, Crazy eyes, Very capable player who goes unheralded most of the time, but capable of moments of brilliance.
Like Spanish Dave, he's a bit of an acquired taste.

I'm confident he will do something special at some point in the season.
It might be a spectacular goal to beat Newcastle or Leeds. Or the cross that Murray gets on the end of, that takes us up.
But even if he doesn't.... at no point in the season will he let us down.
He won't ever not try his damnedest to win the game
So get off his back FFS.

As for whether he is Premier League quality....
Let's get there first.
If we do, I genuinely hope all the players responsible for getting us there, are given the chance to see if they can cut it in the top division.
They will have earned the right.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I think a few have short memories.

Solly has just come back from a serious injury, so he should be cut some slack whilst finding his form.

If we go up we will need to buy further quality in midfield and up front possibly in the fullback areas, so that will mean players like Jiri, Jamie, Sam will probably be squad players if they are not moved on.

I am not Skalak's biggest fan but don't you think there have been enough threads on here punching Jiri in the eye. I think the guy deserves a break. He is here to play a part in the push for promotion. This is just another Skalak bashing thread using a different title.

It's going to happen though because for a long while on here his talents were oversold and people were shouted down for questioning whether he should be automatic first choice. Now he is clearly not that, people are just saying what they've long thought. It will calm down once people have redressed the balance from the early hype. He may still contribute something useful to our greatest season in a long while, I think very few are writing him off

Yes, far too early. Also, March (for all his potential) actually hasn't had the chance to consistently deliver this season so given Skalak has 5 assists (still the most in the squad) and appears to be going through a bad patch, maybe now isn't the best time to be directly comparing the two.

If this doesn't prove how misleading the assist stats are at measuring a player's season, I don't know what does

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here