Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy Melia's shoes

matt66

May 2, 2009
Hi - I recently rather foolishly posted a request for fans who were at Wembley in 1983 for the Cup Final v Man United to contact me to describe their experiences. I say foolishly because at the time minds were understandably more focused on League One survival, though a big thanks to those who have contacted me. I need to find about four more Brighton fans who were there in 1983 and would be willing to recount their experience of the day and maybe some details of the Cup run itself. It seems that final is dominated by Jimmy Melia's shoes, a helicopter and a very famous miss! Anyone up for sharing their story, or know of someone else who might please contact me directly at matteastley66@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks very much,
Matt

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I can tell you what the inside of a cell looked like the following Thursday evening for 90 mins. :annoyed:

Jimmy Grimble

I know someone who can tell you what happened to a few Man United fans who were in the Brighton end :lolol:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Hi - I recently rather foolishly posted a request for fans who were at Wembley in 1983 for the Cup Final v Man United to contact me to describe their experiences. I say foolishly because at the time minds were understandably more focused on League One survival, though a big thanks to those who have contacted me. I need to find about four more Brighton fans who were there in 1983 and would be willing to recount their experience of the day and maybe some details of the Cup run itself. It seems that final is dominated by Jimmy Melia's shoes, a helicopter and a very famous miss! Anyone up for sharing their story, or know of someone else who might please contact me directly at matteastley66@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks very much,
Matt

whats this for??

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I know someone who can tell you what happened to a few Man United fans who were in the Brighton end :lolol:

I'll always remember Wilkins' goal.

You could see it bending as soon as he hit it, and then jumping over the hoardings to them, in OUR end. cnuts.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I'll always remember Wilkins' goal.

You could see it bending as soon as he hit it, and then jumping over the hoardings to them, in OUR end. cnuts.

Me too, I remember thinking as soon as he got the ball that there was no danger because he usually passed the ball across the midfield. How wrong was I?

I also remember 2 very large Man Utd skinheads at the replay in our end getting a good kicking for celebrating one of their goals. To be fair they were asking for it!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
To be fair they were asking for it!

That phrase always confuses me. I hear a lot but can honestly say I have never heard anyone say "can you please give me a good kicking mate".

Must hang around the wrong people I guess.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I also remember 2 very large Man Utd skinheads at the replay in our end getting a good kicking for celebrating one of their goals. To be fair they were asking for it!
Trouble was they had the entire bottom tier on the 1st game,then come the 2nd there wasnt so many of them so when they swaggerd in thinking it would be the same they were very suprised.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Did Man Utd get some of Brighton's tickets in return for taking part in the Townsend Thoresen Cup?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
??? Wilkins didn't play in the cup final, I think you might be confusing things
with the playoffs in 90/91?

Wilkins did play in 1983 - that's Ray 'Butch' Wilkins of Man Utd

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Had a great day, went with a couple of mates we bought a pair of white loafers each and wore them on the day.
Had drinks with Man U supporters after, they all said Smith should have scored:flameboun we had to agree. They complimented us on the game and proceeded to tell us that we would get duly stuffed in the replay.................................... and we did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here