Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy Hill RIP

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
RIP Jimmy, you were basically the face of TV football when I was young and achieved a great deal of good within the game.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Getting rid of the wage cap was the biggest mistake

How? Having anyone being paid a maximum wage was ludicrous.

If you're going to fast forward 50 years and blame the end of Dickensian contracts administered by club as the sole reason for astronomical wages now, you're sorely mistaken. It took Sky to allow that to happen, not Jimmy Hill.

He was a giant of the game. May he rest in peace.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
How? Having anyone being paid a maximum wage was ludicrous.

If you're going to fast forward 50 years and blame the end of Dickensian contracts administered by club as the sole reason for astronomical wages now, you're sorely mistaken. It took Sky to allow that to happen, not Jimmy Hill.

He was a giant of the game. May he rest in peace.

I'd see both sides of the argument there - the contracts (player basically owned by the club in every way, tiny pay scales) had to go; but a modernised wage cap of some description could have prevented some of the excesses, pricing out of fans, club failures and so on we've come to know of late.

As for the man himself, he can't be blamed for any affects really. Face of football for some of my childhood, one of the few figures even those with no interest in the game would have instantly known. RIP.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My only beef with him was his 'Bob Harris wrt New York Dolls' attitude to Revie's Leeds. It was not the cheating or the ultraviolence that annoyed him, but the possession football. That was poor. In that respect, Leeds were 20 years ahead of their time.

Let me rephrase it for you, Jim (getting into my Tardis....)

"Leeds play ruthless possession football, and stick the boot in. Fair enough. But the manager and players have attempted to bribe the opposition. And the manager has a religious death wish that in the end rips the prize from his eyes. Revie, you are a flawed genious, and youre team MUST FAIL."

Otherwise, agree with all posts.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
R.I.P. Mr Hill, well played Sir.

But have others have mentioned, he did have some interesting 'ideas'.

Mr Rooney, and others, should be very grateful to JH for removing the maximum wage. Under his leadership Coventry City were the first club to introduce an all seated stadium, and was instrumental in the idea of railway 'football specials', what tends to be forgotten is that he tried to introduce a complete ban on away fans. A colourful character and a gentleman.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
One of the last Gentlemen in Football. Jose could and should learn a lot from Sir Jim. Condolences to his wife and family plus great lifelong Friends like the Lynams, Des will be mourning the death of his close friend tonight too.

RIP Jimmy, one of the Greats.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'd see both sides of the argument there - the contracts (player basically owned by the club in every way, tiny pay scales) had to go; but a modernised wage cap of some description could have prevented some of the excesses, pricing out of fans, club failures and so on we've come to know of late.

As for the man himself, he can't be blamed for any affects really. Face of football for some of my childhood, one of the few figures even those with no interest in the game would have instantly known. RIP.

It was quite a coincidence that it happened today given events at Stamford Bridge this week.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A top top football man. Completely changed football for the better inside many ways and made Match of The Day the institution it is today.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Jimmy Hill was responsible for itchy beard from my youth
Was probably the most repeated school playground saying in the 80's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here