Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jimmy Greaves needs YOUR help..?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think I can understand where you're coming from...I certainly hope he gets himself sorted and if people want to help out then that's brilliant. Equally though, there must be many more people out there in similar positions to Jimmy Greaves who don't have a national newspaper to champion their cause. The target has now been hit, going by the JustGiving page. It does very much look like it's the general public who've made the donations. Great news for him: at least he won't end up having to sell his house to get treatment, unlike many Joe Publics who've also suffered the effects of a stroke.

There are a lot of people out there who are treated like shit by the local services and I could tell people a thousand stories from the cases of Nigel Bushfire Erskine who've I've had the pleasure of looking out for since his stroke.
Do you know that has **** all to to with anything but I really am glad I,ve said it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There's a little more to this than meets the eye - he sold his WC winners' medal (that he was only given in '09) last year for £44k. Presumably, this was also put towards medical costs? Both donating and not donating seem right to me, for very different reasons. :shrug:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If Jimmy Greaves TRULY doesn't have the funds for ''after stroke'' treatment then he would qualify for it to be paid for by the National Health Service.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he receives the treatment he needs but he must have sufficient income somewhere which precludes him from getting it for free. Alternatively he and his family have chosen to go private and the full amount is not being covered by his policy.

Whatever it is that is stopping him from receiving the treatment I am sure he has enough close friends within the footballing world who can help out without holding out a cap for the public to pay it and to be honest I am not altogether happy with the newspaper even running a story like this but if it gets to a satisfactory end for Jimmy Greaves then it will be worth it and anyone who does contribute I am sure they have good reason to. For me it just isn't my cause to do so. We all have possibly our deserving Charities we donate to and we cannot donate to everyone and everything.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Given that he formed himself into a private company in the 60s to minimise tax and is a lifelong tory, I find this all rather baffling.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why are you targeting Adebayor?

I'm not saying he should pay, I was merely highlighting the irony of a rubbish Tottenham striker being paid sums that dwarf Greaves' required £30K.

Greaves is one of the most important post-war players and helped establish Spurs as a big club, also helping football to grow into the money-making machine it is today.

nick65

Jun 9, 2013
New Jersey
I'm very sorry for Jimmy Greaves but I won't be donating. He made a good living after football from TV and corporate work and there are many people who've had less opportunities in life in equally desperate circumstances that we've never heard of because they aren't famous.

I don't mean to sound callous, I wish him all the best and hope he gets the treatment he needs. But appeals like this strike a wrong note to me.
Completely agree with this post, but obviously wish him all the best with his recovery. Most of the people mentioned in the article could write a cheque for the amount needed and not even miss it.
Just checked and more than £35,000 has already been raised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here