Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Jimmy Carr

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
After he explains the reason behind the joke. If you watch it

He doesn't really though does he ?

He simply points out that we weren't taught about the "others" at school. He could have done by pointing out the hypocrisy of the audience, but he didn't. He simply isn't that clever.

Saying things are "meta jokes" is simply embarrassing.

He's just a guy in a smart suit telling 1970s jokes, his audience feeling justified in laughing because he works for Channel Four.

There isn't much more to him or his core audience to be honest however they try to justify his act.

Ban ? Not at all. I'm just watched it, he's a terrible comedian.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Personally love Jimmy Carr, he's whitty, funny and does say jokes which could offend some, but that's comedy ffs. The whole point is going 'oooooooo thats naughty' but laughing at the fact it's a bit far.

Some like it, some don't. I'm getting worried that comedy will die soon because we won't be able to say boo to a goose without someone calling offence.

I'm centre left before anyone calls me a right wing nut job.

Some wet flannels about these days who just cant understand it's comedy.

As others have mentioned, Carr has one segment during his live show where he tells increasingly offensive jokes, covering numerous topics, testing the audience sensibilities and reactions, I have been to one of them. There is no malice or racist intent and everyone (including people from all ethnicities and sexual orientation) who goes to his shows know what they are in for. Unfortunately, someone on social media has lifted a clip from many years ago taken it completely out of context to whip up a bit of hysteria.

This. The usual people will call out they are offended etc. FFS give it a rest.

It's like BA now call ladies and gentlemen as everyone. Mental.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think is for me Jimmy Carr comes across as a nasty little shit with very few qualities, Gervais is a decent bloke. Simple I know but there is nothing I like about Jimmy Carr

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tbh I don't know that he doesn't.
I have heard him defend his targets along the lines of him being offensive about everyone therefore he isn't discriminating.

Personally I found the joke mildly amusing, not because it's racist, but because I acknowledge who Jimmy Carr is and what he does,
If it was Roy Chubby Brown, it would be racist, bizarrely for exactly the same reason.

Jerry Sadowitz is a far more offensive and better comedian than Carr will ever be. IMO

Jerry Sadowitz makes Carr look like Micheal ****chops McIntyre.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Carr is completely devoid of any talent. Can you imagine him delivering the golden globes like Gervais did in 2020, No https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR6UeVptzRg

I can imagine Gervais having a big ole laugh at this joke though and telling you that you don't understand comedy.

His 2018 special Humanity had jokes about rape, cancer, air crashes, living as a transgender person, dead babies and the holocaust.

It's as if you don't know Gervais at all.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Personally love Jimmy Carr, he's whitty, funny and does say jokes which could offend some, but that's comedy ffs. The whole point is going 'oooooooo thats naughty' but laughing at the fact it's a bit far.

Some like it, some don't. I'm getting worried that comedy will die soon because we won't be able to say boo to a goose without someone calling offence.

I'm centre left before anyone calls me a right wing nut job.

Some wet flannels about these days who just cant understand it's comedy.

This.

Too many on here who jump on the bandwagon but in private would laugh at a fat joke or something similar.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If I remember rightly the context around this joke was that he was trying to tell an offensive joke. He also explained how the joke was good because it drew attention to the fact that lots of GRT people we killed during the holocaust. This is not a widely taught or known fact about the period so Carr feels like he is raising awareness.

I am not saying that this context excuses the joke but it is interesting that it is being posted without it.

As others have said, this clip is pretty old, why are we suddenly being outraged about it?

You know what you are going to get with Jimmy Carr, why are people so horrified when we get it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Doug Stanhope?

No not Doug, it's a young white guy, I'll look him up later.
But he was almost identical to Carr.

I watched a lot of Sean Locke's stuff in the wake of his death.
Clearly there was a lot of Carr in that, so I ventured down that path too.

I wouldn't exactly say I was rolling round the lounge in tears.
But as said earlier, there is a craft.

He's good at what he does, but what he does really isn't for me.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
You think that racism depends on who is racist?

Really?

Sir Oswald Moseley was well educated, very posh, and a brilliant orator. His racism was as bad (if not worse) than any working class, knuckle dragging, bigot.

Carr gets away with all his bigotry because he has conned people into believing that he is being clever and racist in a post modern, ironic kind of way. He’s really not .

Yes, personally I do believe it depends on the motivations of the person saying it,

Is Carr saying the joke, in order to reinforce racist beliefs to a target audience, that he knows will agree with the statement and increase hatred of a particular group?
Does Carr attract an audience from the far right and play to their prejudices?
That's precisely what Moseley, RCB, Jim Davidson did.

I don't believe Carr's jokes come from the same place and I think it's an important distinction,

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
For everyone mentioning it's an old joke and people have been searching for offence, it appears it's from the new show that was released on Netflix on Christmas Day

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think is for me Jimmy Carr comes across as a nasty little shit with very few qualities, Gervais is a decent bloke. Simple I know but there is nothing I like about Jimmy Carr

I used to quite like him, but I am finding him increasingly unlikeable to be honest.
Carr is a bit smarmy, I can't say I am a huge fan, but I'm not picking up any "nasty little shit" vibes from him.

Both are fairly full of themselves, but that's very common in the field they work in.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Another comedian in the same vein is Daniel Sloss. In his act he explains precisely why he doesn’t want people offended on his behalf. It’s quite uncomfortable viewing, particularly for someone like me whose humour is a bit more Tim Vine. Worth a watch though (Netflix).

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
If I remember rightly the context around this joke was that he was trying to tell an offensive joke. He also explained how the joke was good because it drew attention to the fact that lots of GRT people we killed during the holocaust. This is not a widely taught or known fact about the period so Carr feels like he is raising awareness.

I am not saying that this context excuses the joke but it is interesting that it is being posted without it.

As others have said, this clip is pretty old, why are we suddenly being outraged about it?

You know what you are going to get with Jimmy Carr, why are people so horrified when we get it?

Exactly. Don't watch him if your easily offended.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
For everyone mentioning it's an old joke and people have been searching for offence, it appears it's from the new show that was released on Netflix on Christmas Day

I have read that this morning too - the same article seemed to say it was “educational”, because people don’t realise it was gypsies, homosexuals, Jehovah’s Witnesses and all sorts of other people who suffered in the holocaust.

Still doesn’t make it either funny or non-racist.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

pretty sure i'ev heard it before. and why the shock now, a month later, did no one notice it? has a long history of such gags if not this exact one.

in one act he states the audience judge whether a joke is acceptable, if they laugh it is, if they dont it isnt. goes onto one about Princess Di snorting coke instead of wearing a seatbelt, the crowd laughing all the way along.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here