Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim McNulty

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If he's fit enough to start, I'd like to see him play left midfield in front of El-Abd on Friday. He looked alright there for the 10 minutes he got against Exeter, and with AEA playing well the left side should be reasonably solid.

This would be my team for Col U, fitness allowing:

1. Breznovan

2. Whing
5. Elphick
6. Tunnicliffe
3. El-Abd

7. Bennett
4. Dicker
10. Crofts
11. McNulty

8. Dickinson
9. Forster

Subs:
Murray+6

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Just because our defender is good going forward, it doesn't mean we should play him in midfield. It's ridiculous, we have been talking for ages on how we need Mcnulty to strengthen the defence, and now apparently he's in midfield!!
:facepalm:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Yeah, he's a left back. If he's fit then is ultimately the first choice.

Given that we had a clean sheet v Exeter then I'd still have McNulty coming off the bench

Big Ernie McCracken

Mar 9, 2009
If he's fit enough to start, I'd like to see him play left midfield in front of El-Abd on Friday. He looked alright there for the 10 minutes he got against Exeter, and with AEA playing well the left side should be reasonably solid.

1. Breznovan

2. Whing
5. Elphick
6. Tunnicliffe
3. El-Abd

7. Bennett
4. Dicker
10. Crofts
11. McNulty

8. Dickinson
9. Forster

Subs:
Murray+6

I don`t see Mcnulty as a full back, a wing back or left sided midfield player. We have been looking for a natural left-sided midfield palyer for donkeys. Jimmy Mac would give us balance both going forward and also on the back foot.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just because our defender is good going forward, it doesn't mean we should play him in midfield. It's ridiculous, we have been talking for ages on how we need Mcnulty to strengthen the defence, and now apparently he's in midfield!!
:facepalm:
Begs the question of why he was put on in midfield not left back on Saturday doesn't it. Don't forget we scored from a McNulty cross and El-Abd has been our best defender for the last few games. I'm not saying that McNulty is going to remain a left midfielder all his career, but until we get somthing better there he'll do a job for us. Mark Lawrenson, arguably our best ever defender, also had spells in midfield so it's not unknown.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Begs the question of why he was put on in midfield not left back on Saturday doesn't it. Don't forget we scored from a McNulty cross and El-Abd has been our best defender for the last few games. I'm not saying that McNulty is going to remain a left midfielder all his career, but until we get somthing better there he'll do a job for us. Mark Lawrenson, arguably our best ever defender, also had spells in midfield so it's not unknown.

Agree with that, and also allows Bennet to play wide right and be a bit more attack minded with Whing behind him. Mcnulty can get forward and put in decent balls, and can also offer far more defensively than someone like Cox!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
We really need a left sided midfielder in January. I'd rather have Jimmy playing full back in a couple of weeks time when he's fully fit.
And unless i'm forgetting someone Cox is our only left sided midfielder? (Bar Adam Virgo if you're Micky Adams)

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
We really need a left sided midfielder in January. I'd rather have Jimmy playing full back in a couple of weeks time when he's fully fit.
And unless i'm forgetting someone Cox is our only left sided midfielder? (Bar Adam Virgo if you're Micky Adams)

Mcleod?
Fair enough he probably isnt strong enough to start, neither is Cox imo, but his delivery is very good if he could work on his pace and tracking back!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cox isn't a 'left-sided' midfielder either. He's completely one
footed.

McLeod is the only left midfielder in the squad. [unless Jamie Smith is, but I'm not sure if he really exists]​

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated

1. Breznovan

2. Whing
5. Elphick
6. Tunnicliffe
3. El-Abd

7. Bennett
4. Dicker
10. Crofts
11. McNulty

8. Dickinson
9. Forster

Subs:
Murray+6

What i like about this is the fact if El-abd struggles at LB you can move him to cm crofts out wide and McNulty back to left back :thumbsup:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Cox isn't a 'left-sided' midfielder either. He's completely one
footed.

Your right, but in my opinion, on either flank he always cuts inside before crossing or passing etc, and never runs with the ball even if he's on his stronger side anyway, so therefore he may aswell be playing on the left. I'd say Mcnulty would have more to offer than Cox or Mcleod on the wing and he could also help out defensively. In the long term though i'd rather Mcnulty moved back into left back and we bring in a left winger in january.​

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Spot on Mac..the game did get me thinking about Macca in midfield ......do you think its the Welsh water

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I maintain that Cox is our most creative player, along with Bennett now. It's noticeable how many fewer chances we create with him out of the team. I'd rather see him and McNulty combining down the left, El-Abd has done ok but is he really the long term answer at leftback? If we're going to persist with a defensive midfielder I'd rather see him there than Navarro.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
McNulty gives us something we have lacked for a while. A natural full back who is able to attack aswell as defend.

At the same time, El-Abd is doing a great job, and we are really lacking a left midfielder.

I'd play Jim left wing up until January, then look for a good natural left winger in the transfer window...

I maintain that Cox is our most creative player, along with Bennett now. It's noticeable how many fewer chances we create with him out of the team. I'd rather see him and McNulty combining down the left, El-Abd has done ok but is he really the long term answer at leftback? If we're going to persist with a defensive midfielder I'd rather see him there than Navarro.

On form, Cox is brilliant (Yeovil last year for example). Sadly however, he fails to produce that form very often anymore and if we are to challenge for promotion next year, Cox will be a bench warmer at most...

Last edited:

jaylondon22

Jan 5, 2009
I think El-Abd warrents his place on his performances over the last few games, but feel that McNulty is a quqlity player. Him comming on at the weekend in midfield was probably just to give him a run out. I wouldn't be supprised if we see the following team on Friday:

1. Breznovan

2. El-Abd
5. Elphick
6. Tunnicliffe
3. McNulty

7. Bennett
4. Navarro
10. Crofts
11. Dicker

8. Dickinson
9. Forster

Although I'd put Cox in for NAvarro and play dicker in the middle. I'd also force feed Murray wheatabix, kick him up the arse and put him in for Dickinson......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here