Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] JFC

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Was there anyone who thought: "Excellent, JFC's coming on........he'll tear them a new one!"

Great pass though. For once.

Errrr No, because he wasn't bought on to create winning chances, that was the bonus. He was brought on to protect a point that, at that time we were in danger of losing.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Has anyone reading this EVER used a slide rule?

And for those who haven't, did you realise it's actually a calculating instrument, rather than something for measuring distances?

[And while we're doing lazy journalistic cliches, when did you last see a CARBON copy?]

No, because despite going to school in the 70s, we just about had calculators. And in addition to that, we were taught to use log tables, for what reason, to this day I don't know.

As for the lazy journalism, how else would you describe two things the same? Facsimile, mirror image, doppleganger, etc etc

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
In the disc manufacturing industry if you create (copy) a new disc from an existing disc it is "duplication". If you start from a master disc and you stamp the new disc it is "replication". Not sure if this helps.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are we cloning JFC?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We have some very clever fans. Some of them usefully advised Ashley Barnes that he wasn't up to playing in the Championship. Helpful yes.

Some even said Ulloa wouldn't cut it in the Prem as he was slow

\

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
....As for the lazy journalism, how else would you describe two things the same? Facsimile, mirror image, doppleganger, etc etc
I'd use a verb, depending on the degree of replication involved: eg echoed, reprised, resembled, replicated. Only a very poor (possibly Sun) journalist would resort to 'carbon copy' in the 21st century.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

Yes. When I took chemistry in 1972, a scientific calculator (4 basic functions plus raise to a power, take a root, sine, cosine and tangent, logs, base 10 and natural -- that's it) was about $300, in 1972 dollars. A slide rule was $7.50.

CalculatorBowmarBrain.jpg

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Yes. When I took chemistry in 1972, a scientific calculator (4 basic functions plus raise to a power, take a root, sine, cosine and tangent, logs, base 10 and natural -- that's it) was about $300, in 1972 dollars. A slide rule was $7.50.

CalculatorBowmarBrain.jpg
Scientific calculator, you say? SCIENTIFIC? You were lucky! When I took chemistry in 1966, all we had was this electromechanical "Facit" calculating engine - and before that a chuffing great abacus, that was operated by tiny Chinamen. We'd have killed for an electronic calculator back then.

As backup, there was this two-piece white extending plastic thing, with calibration markings on both parts. But we didn't use it as a rule.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

And for those who haven't, did you realise it's actually a calculating instrument, rather than something for measuring distances?

[And while we're doing lazy journalistic cliches, when did you last see a CARBON copy?]

Yes - still used them when I was at school and NASA landed men on the moon using them, so they cannot have been that bad. Certainly not 4/10 bad. Invoice books still have carbon sheets in them. I have lost mine.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'd use a verb, depending on the degree of replication involved: eg echoed, reprised, resembled, replicated. Only a very poor (possibly Sun) journalist would resort to 'carbon copy' in the 21st century.

I think you are being too harsh on most journalists and generous to the Sun ones. Surely they would just say 'it was the same'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We have some very clever fans. Some of them usefully advised Ashley Barnes that he wasn't up to playing in the Championship. Helpful yes.

I believe the original thread, was Ashley Barnes wasn't nearly good enough for League One.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I said it on the other thread about March, JFC is better in a better team. He always looks much better in a team playing with confidence and he tends to feed off that. When we're awful, he's not big enough yet to influence a poor team. I don't think it's fair to judge many of our players on last season any more.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Hallelujah! A professional footballer makes a pass to a team mate

Will wonders never cease

Absolutely agree.

Because JFC completes a strategic pass (and a good one, I agree) do we have to erase from our memories the other 6,000 senseless sideways prods we've had to suffer over the past three seasons?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Absolutely agree.

Because JFC completes a strategic pass (and a good one, I agree) do we have to erase from our memories the other 6,000 senseless sideways prods we've had to suffer over the past three seasons?

Thats about 43 passes a game.

Makelele like.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Two young lads standing on their seats in front of me Saturday started grumbling when he came on.

After we scored the penalty I quietly pointed out to them that it was JFc's pass that made the goal and they should get behind him. They got the point. Which is that, no matter what your views on JFC or any other player, there is no value in slating them at the match. Save it for the pub or for NSC. We are there to support the whole team.

By the same token, I like to think it was the blue+white army screaming at the ref that helped him decide the foul was inside the box.

PG

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Absolutely agree.

How conveniently you forget the goal of the season.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
How conveniently you forget the goal of the season.
But that was just "a fluke" don't you know. It was "one good moment". I once scored a worldy from 30 yards in the Under 14s but that doesn't make me Championship quality. JFC wouldn't have got in our team anyway. Sideways passes, ducks tackles, League 1 quality, too lightweight, never gonna make it, poster boy, I see him every week and can't for the life of me see what five professional football managers see, etc etc yada yada.

You know how it works by now TB. If he does something good, it's just his job/about time/a slice of luck. If he does something poor it's proof they're right/tactical experts, and he'll be playing for Whitehawk by January.

Observation bias huh. It's a funny old game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here