Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jfc

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Personally I think this is a great move by CH. JFC is a great prospect who has had a pretty rough season being asked to fill in a role he is out of his depth doing. We struggled and he struggled doing it. He has taken a lot of stick for a kid his age and I think that has shattered his confidence. CH knows this so is giving him a rest.
He has a part to play for BHA IMHO. Looking at the midfield now he is by no means an automatic starter and nor should he be as there are 4/5 more suitable players but I think if CH build his confidence back and plays him in a suitable position he certainly has a role to play.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Why is there an assumption that just because he's only 20 years old, that given enough time and match practice, he simply MUST morph into the next Paul Scholes or Frank Lampard? The Championship is chock full of 'hot prospects' who are improving every season, JFC isn't.

While his tag as a 'hot prospect' is perfectly legitimate, I've seen very little progress over the past couple of seasons. There's a worrying lack of awareness and quality in his play and I'm unconvinced he'll ever develop into the midfield general /maestro that so many other fans see.

As a club we need to live in the present and possibly accept his development is too slow to stick with - he has, after all, been given 57 opportunities to flourish. Sadly he looks no more the finished article than he did during his youth career at the club, when he really did look the 'hot prospect'.

We must decide: keep him as a squad player, resigned to a few bit parts - or sell him to another club (personally I see his level somewhere between League 1 and 2, where I would expect him to secure first team football)

I say sell him.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I apologise if abbreviations are difficult for you, but fat thumbs on an android phone don't help.

Attacking Midfielder (left) AML
Defensive Midfielder, though it was auto corrected to DMC when it should have been DM.

Is that easier to understand?

Too much football manager..........

Stumpy Tim

I've yet to see JFC play in his natural position - the position that Stephens took up when he came on. I don't see how anyone can write him off before he gets the chance to play in the advanced midfield role.

Looking back, JFC was the biggest victim of Hyppia's disastrous tactics. At least Gardner got to go back to his parent club... poor JFC had several months playing out of position, having the crowd on his back - and there's no escape.

Hyppia truly was clueless & it's set JFC back a good year in his development

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I don't think you should judge a midfielder until they are at least 23. They often have their best years from 25 onwards. As do most players.

Are you seriously suggesting we keep paying a player's wages for THREE YEARS on the premise he may one day be good enough for the team?

Why not spend that money on a player who IS good enough for the team?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why is there an assumption that just because he's only 20 years old, that given enough time and match practice, he simply MUST morph into the next Paul Scholes or Frank Lampard? The Championship is chock full of 'hot prospects' who are improving every season, JFC isn't.

While his tag as a 'hot prospect' is perfectly legitimate, I've seen very little progress over the past couple of seasons. There's a worrying lack of awareness and quality in his play and I'm unconvinced he'll ever develop into the midfield general /maestro that so many other fans see.

As a club we need to live in the present and possibly accept his development is too slow to stick with - he has, after all, been given 57 opportunities to flourish. Sadly he looks no more the finished article than he did during his youth career at the club, when he really did look the 'hot prospect'.

We must decide: keep him as a squad player, resigned to a few bit parts - or sell him to another club (personally I see his level somewhere between League 1 and 2, where I would expect him to secure first team football)

I say sell him.

Some people thought the same about Cook & Elphick.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

I say sell him.

I think its perfectly reasonable to think that JFC is going to improve in the next few years, young players often do.
He has shown he has the ability to play at this level and influence games.

Tell me who did look good under Sami ?...... I think your being pretty harsh, in my opinion he is definately worth sticking with unless a good offer comes in

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I've yet to see JFC play in his natural position - the position that Stephens took up when he came on. I don't see how anyone can write him off before he gets the chance to play in the advanced midfield role.

Looking back, JFC was the biggest victim of Hyppia's disastrous tactics. At least Gardner got to go back to his parent club... poor JFC had several months playing out of position, having the crowd on his back - and there's no escape.

Hyppia truly was clueless & it's set JFC back a good year in his development

He did, by no stretch of the imagination, have the crowd on his back. I think the fans were more annoyed at Hyppia's decision to pick him week in week out. It did JFC no good at all to be given the responsibility of carrying the midfield alongside Gardner and I'm sure he was intelligent enough to see himself struggling.
I'd think a loan period is vital to get his confidence up again.

Stumpy Tim

He did, by no stretch of the imagination, have the crowd on his back. I think the fans were more annoyed at Hyppia's decision to pick him week in week out. It did JFC no good at all to be given the responsibility of carrying the midfield alongside Gardner and I'm sure he was intelligent enough to see himself struggling.

Some of the abuse he received on Twitter was disgusting. You're right in that he didn't get booed at the ground, but the loud minority were certainly on his back outside match day

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
But some people thought the same about countless other players who proved to be ineffective at Championship level - and they were right, so don't really get your point. Sorry.

I took his point as meaning that as some players make it in the Championship and some don't and when they are at such a young age it is difficult enough judging whether or not they will succeed when you're closely involved with them on a daily basis as part of their player management team let alone a fan judging from the perspective of the stands then your opinion probably counts for very little and there's no value in you flapping your mouth off about it.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
To all the JFC knockers, how many other 20 year old are currently holding down a place in a championship team (genuine question as I don't know). He stats compare very well with the highly rated will Hughes.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
JFC is a fantastic prospect, but his confidence has been hammered and it's no wonder. The pressure he must have felt playing under Hyypia must have been immense.

He must have known how badly he'd played in some matches, but still he was the club's poster boy being selected week in, week out all whilst having his face plastered over every piece of marketing material the club could put out.

Way too much too soon for such a young player.
He is not a fantastic prospect pal...He will never be a solid championship midfielder and he will be league 1 at best.He just offers nothing and has no pace or creativity etc etc.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
To all the JFC knockers, how many other 20 year old are currently holding down a place in a championship team (genuine question as I don't know). He stats compare very well with the highly rated will Hughes.
He was used as a cheap option that was never goner work if we were to progress.
No other championship club would look at him and that includes blackpool if he became available...He just isn't good enough end of.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing

JFC should be loaned out asap - he isn't championship standard and I personally think he never will be

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
He was used as a cheap option that was never goner work if we were to progress.
No other championship club would look at him and that includes blackpool if he became available...He just isn't good enough end of.

Can't be bothered to argue because nothing will change your mind, but fair to say I disagree

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Can't be bothered to argue because nothing will change your mind, but fair to say I disagree
It's all about opinions although I think he's another jake robinson as haven't known JFC to have a really good game since southampton 3 year ago...Gone backwards big time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here