Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JFC retains England U-21 place...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is reminiscent of Ashley Barnes, not nearly good enough for League One.
Now, remind me of where Barnes is playing, and whatever happened to Mr Burns?

As for saying, he can't shoot, he won goal of the season two years ago, which got into the last ten in the country.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Modric, a world class CM playing for the best team in the world has 2 assists this season, you can make stats show what ever you want

We can see it for ourselves. Crying out for the incisive forward pass and it is not coming yet. Maybe never. Maybe more work on the training ground?

I thought that both analysing the opposition and automatic/intuitive understanding through work on the training ground can be improved.

It struck me that Derby were highly efficient at knowing what their other players were doing. And Ipswich as well. Both these sides were predictable as well.

I don't think the gap in player abilities is all that much greater. It is just that ours are misfits.

All told, JFC might learn something with the U21s so it can only be good.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No he probably didnt - but when did he become a good player? Im still waiting.

Having seen hime play a lot of games now, I am competely baffled as to how he became a regular for either Brighton or England. Hes not even the best midfielder Ive seen playing for our under 21 team, both Richards, Monakana, and the departed Kasim looked far better.

You didn't go much under Poyet then, played very well when he came in against Southampton in a more advanced position and actually did ok.

Apparently two England U21s managers seem he's quite useful.......

Richards buzzed about in the U21s, but was generally ineffective, Kasim was useful and may be one we'll regret letting go, but highly debatable whether he's better than JFC, and finally Monakana doesn't even play in the same position.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Teixeira is about a year older than JFC. Twice as many games in the Championship.

I would like to see JFC earn his place back in readiness for next season. Tex looks silkier and is easier on the eye. Contributes more as well. Physically, there does not seem much to choose between the two, although I would say JFC is a fraction faster. As soon we are safe both JFC and Ince need more games.

Tex can see the forward pass and has got more goals and seems to be improving rapidly, whereas JFC seems to have come to a halt in improvement.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It saddens me to see the abuse a home grown player gets on here. It's bizarre. Football fans generally want to see home grown players coming through their ranks. Yet we have one who has represented England youth teams from the U-16's up to the U-21's. He's a player we should be really proud of. Instead there's a vocal element who seem to delight in attacking and denigrating him. They seem to take a perverse joy in slagging him off. It's a sad and frankly pathetic state of affairs.

The reality is that it's the posters who need to continually slag him off who are sad and frankly pathetic.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Will watch with interest if the games are on tv to see if it is the same player who offers absolutely bugger all as he does for the Albion.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Lol....nobody is ever looking to snap JFC up and certainly no prem clubs would bother with him and virtually all championship clubs also.
No way will he ever play in the prem as his level will be league 1 at best...
Can't shoot
No pace
No creativity
Most people can see talent and JFC will be a lower league fodder at best as he just doesn't improve year after year....Harsh but true.

How much would you value him at then seriously?
I'd say about 300k at a big push:thumbsup:

So talk me through how his level is 'league 1 at best' despite playing however many games in the championship before 21, a lot of which were in a team who finished 6th.
Can't shoot - goal of the season last season
Can't pass - suggest you go look at the stats which disagree with you (but you knew that anyway)
And who are these most people?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Teixeira is about a year older than JFC. Twice as many games in the Championship.

I would like to see JFC earn his place back in readiness for next season. Tex looks silkier and is easier on the eye. Contributes more as well. Physically, there does not seem much to choose between the two, although I would say JFC is a fraction faster. As soon we are safe both JFC and Ince need more games.

Tex can see the forward pass and has got more goals and seems to be improving rapidly, whereas JFC seems to have come to a halt in improvement.

At exactly the same age as JFC, Tex was sent back from Brentford on loan, because he they didn't feel they could trust him with game time in league one. How quickly things change with youngsters

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
At exactly the same age as JFC, Tex was sent back from Brentford on loan, because he they didn't feel they could trust him with game time in league one. How quickly things change with youngsters

They are very different players. Tex has the raw ability to beat players and create.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
They are very different players. Tex has the raw ability to beat players and create.

Der, are you being deliberately obtuse? The point Watford zero is making through his comparison is that regardless of their individual footballing attributes, writing players off at such a young age is premature.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Lol....nobody is ever looking to snap JFC up and certainly no prem clubs would bother with him and virtually all championship clubs also.
No way will he ever play in the prem as his level will be league 1 at best...
Can't shoot
No pace
No creativity
Most people can see talent and JFC will be a lower league fodder at best as he just doesn't improve year after year....Harsh but true.

How much would you value him at then seriously?
I'd say about 300k at a big push:thumbsup:

If you put him up on the market for 300k he would be gone within minutes.

Dec 29, 2011

Where as JFC is steady and consistent. Yes, this season he's been consistently poor, but he has five years to improve further and if he does he'll be a regular at a premier league team. Teams like Sunderland, west brom, west ham etc love the steady consistent players we don't think much about because they rarely do anything of note, but they put in a good shift every match and come up with some crucial interceptions, tackles and passes when it matters.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I think JFC has the raw ability. An important 5% quicker. The difference is in the head. Tex is less experienced in first team football but improving quicker.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Very good player.

He does the job that is probably most under appreciated by fans, which is keep the ball moving, link up play and help to retain possession. See Hammond and Dicker as examples of people who have done that previously and have also been under valued and overly criticised,

Why criticise him for not being creative? You need to have players in the team who put a shift in and allow other players to do the flair work.

Personally I think he works well slightly further up the pitch than the position Hyppia played him in.

Overall though I think it's pathetic that he's written off as "league 1 at best".

He's TWENTY years old. Ince wasn't getting a game with us when he was that age. When Bridcutt was that age he was released by Chelsea. Plus the current "best midfield player ever" Kayal was playing for Maccabi Haifam..... hardly "pulling up trees"......

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I used to be a great fan of JFC. I thought he had massive potential and when Gus was here I wanted JFC to be given more game time.

IMHO, he has failed to live up to that early promise. It's no different to any other sphere of life; not everybody is going to fulfill their promise and potential.

I have to say that this season (under both managers) JFC has gone backwards. Selected for England or not, he would never be a starter with the midfielders we currently have. His play has been very negative, he looks baffled and confused and totally out of his depth.

Maybe he just isn't interested. Maybe he never was as good as I thought / hoped he would be. But whatever he had he has lost. And it pains me to say it as I had him down as Brighton's next "big thing".

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Der, are you being deliberately obtuse? The point Watford zero is making through his comparison is that regardless of their individual footballing attributes, writing players off at such a young age is premature.

Think your looking into things too much........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here