Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JFC - Please God make this the last time we have to watch him play in an Albion shirt...

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Mellotron, explain to me why - if Barnes so clearly contributed alot (something I agree with) - he still got terrible abuse?

Because some people are idiots. A vocal minority abused Barnes, whilst most saw his contribution to the team.

A vocal minority abuse JFC, whilst most can't quite see his contribution to the team but choose not to abuse him, as that is stupid.

That is the difference.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, I know, I was saying that for both Jake and March! :shrug:

You said

My issue with March, is that in recent league games, he hasn't been dynamic. I haven't seen that Solly March much this season, or one that looks like finding the back of the net anytime soon.

I really like him, but he's not been that fleet footed creative youngster we know he can be lately.

How can that be the case for Jake AND March though ? Despite being injured, Solly has come back into the team and already been making telling contributions. Jake has barely been out of the team, and yet has been a passenger for most of the season. Pairing Jake up with Gardner is not the *only* reason we found ourselves floundering down in the bottom 3 of course - but it was definitely a factor. You can sometimes get away with carrying 1 player in the middle, but certainly not 2.

Thankfully Gardner is now nausing up Forests midfield, and hopefully Kayal will be the answer to keep JFC out of the equation while we dig ourselves out of this pickle. I'm infinitely more confident of our prospects now anyway.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Which is my point with JFC.

Blinkered football fans with their own view choose to be complete morons with their view of JFC. He is the new Barnes for abuse.

There has been plenty of reasoned debate and anaysis on here of JFC's shortcomings, it FAR outweighs the "abuse". There is ALWAYS a minority who will just post brainless abuse, but you seem to be choosing to focus your ire on that minority without acknowledging that most people are actually backing up their views.

There will always be differences of opinion on players, but to sweepingly dismiss all criticism of JFC (or anyone else) as a witch-hunt, or as abuse, is as narrow-minded as those actually doing the abusing.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
For what it's worth, I don't think he had a good game yesterday. I also don't think we had a better fit player to be selected ahead of him. I also see that manager after manager see enough good there to pick him (even when others are fit). He is also a local lad and young. So whatever the strengths and weaknesses - just give him a bit of slack.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You said

How can that be the case for Jake AND March though ? Despite being injured, Solly has come back into the team and already been making telling contributions. Jake has barely been out of the team, and yet has been a passenger for most of the season. Pairing Jake up with Gardner is not the *only* reason we found ourselves floundering down in the bottom 3 of course - but it was definitely a factor. You can sometimes get away with carrying 1 player in the middle, but certainly not 2.

Thankfully Gardner is now nausing up Forests midfield, and hopefully Kayal will be the answer to keep JFC out of the equation while we dig ourselves out of this pickle. I'm infinitely more confident of our prospects now anyway.

If you think March has been playing well then that's fine. I did say 'I really like him' but I've not seen that confident kid dancing around defenders yet. Yes, he's scored and put in some good crosses, but we're not creating enough and he is one of our most creative players. No great surprised he was dropped for Ipswich, where followed probably our most vibrant attacking display in 12 months.

I referred to both Jake and March simply because they've both had their confidence eroded this season in my opinion, maybe for very different reasons, but nonetheless, niether have got better from where they were 12 months or so ago.

Jake is a good little player too. I think he'll come good. Probably does need a rest out of the first team right now, chance to get his head right again, but think it would be very premature to get rid of him.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I've never seen a player less comfortable receiving the ball in tight spaces. JFC's reaction is usually just to poke it into no-man's land in the hope one of ours will pick it up. It's also rather pointless having a player who can keep recycling the ball, if it means the ball keeps ending up with the opposition. You are right about one thing: he does get the 'odd' goal. One in every 11 matches, not exactly the yield of a so-called 'attacking midfielder'. Scholes hit around 1 in every four matches by the way.
I think there are plenty of players less comfortable. Not suggesting he is as good as Paul scholes, so that fact doesn't help. No doubt scholes was possibly helped by the fact that he played in the best club side in Europe ?

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I think there are plenty of players less comfortable. Not suggesting he is as good as Paul scholes, so that fact doesn't help. No doubt scholes was possibly helped by the fact that he played in the best club side in Europe ?

Scholes also played AGAINST teams like Barcelona, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Liverpool, yet JFC looks our of his depth against.....Rotherham.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You said

I am of the opinion Kayal will replace Holla ?

JFC will fight it out with Tex and a fit Stephens for that slightly more advanced role ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am of the opinion Kayal will replace Holla ?

JFC will fight it out with Tex and a fit Stephens for that slightly more advanced role ?

Possibly, if you're of the view that JFC is an out-and-out AM...which I'm far from convinced he has the talent for (he should certainly be behind Tex and Stephens in that particular pecking order). Holla's been ok of late IMO, perfect through-ball for Baldrick yesterday. Whatever way you slice it, once we have more MF options, I don't see a place in the starting XI for Jakey. Hope not anyway.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Possibly, if you're of the view that JFC is an out-and-out AM...which I'm far from convinced he has the talent for (he should certainly be behind Tex and Stephens in that particular pecking order). Holla's been ok of late IMO, perfect through-ball for Baldrick yesterday. Whatever way you slice it, once we have more MF options, I don't see a place in the starting XI for Jakey. Hope not anyway.

I'm not a huge Holla fan... nice ball for the goal, but owed it back on the day for gifting the 3rd to Arsenal.

He does not cover the ground well enough or know how to tackle to play the role for me. Neither does Jake however.

I see Holla Ince and Kayal as the holding 3 add Stephens to that as I believe he is our only midfielder than can play all the central roles well.

Then JFC, Tex and Stephens further forward.

Either way we are starting to look in a lot better shape all round.

Shipping the likes of Kemy and Paddy out would be nice too..they are simply never going to be selected.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not a huge Holla fan... nice ball for the goal, but owed it back on the day for gifting the 3rd to Arsenal.

He does not cover the ground well enough or know how to tackle to play the role for me. Neither does Jake however.

I see Holla Ince and Kayal as the holding 3 add Stephens to that as I believe he is our only midfielder than can play all the central roles well.

Then JFC, Tex and Stephens further forward.

Either way we are starting to look in a lot better shape all round.

Shipping the likes of Kemy and Paddy out would be nice too..they are simply never going to be selected.

Wasn't it Dunk who gifted it straight back to Rosicky for him to work the 3rd ?

Holla's no great shakes, but I still prefer him in our midfield to Jake. In theory JFC is the more attacking of course, but having him in the engine room is almost like playing with 10 men.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Holla's no great shakes, but I still prefer him in our midfield to Jake. In theory JFC is the more attacking of course, but having him in the engine room is almost like playing with 10 men.

Definately Holla wo gave it away

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Assuming Kayal lives up to his pedigree (and let's face it, he looks a very promising acquisition), then it's inconceivable JFC could find a place from a midfield selection which includes Stephens, Ince, Holla, Kayal, Inigo and Tex.

I make him a clear 'number 7'.

Unless of course we play him in his so-called 'right position' in which, apparently, he is indispensable.....whatever that is, well, answers on a postcard?

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Dear anyone related to the running of the club,

I know you are reading this so please may you send Jake Forster Caskey out on loan or sell him, as he is just not good enough.

Thanks in advance,

crabface

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY

Definately Holla wo gave it away

I make you both right. Dunk was at fault for tapping it towards Holla (who was already under pressure) rather than putting his foot through it & Holla's miss-control actually gave it to the Arsenal player

& back on topic I think JFC actually did a very good job of marking the space in the middle of the pitch (With or without any other players in the vicinity)

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I make you both right. Dunk was at fault for tapping it towards Holla (who was already under pressure) rather than putting his foot through it & Holla's miss-control actually gave it to the Arsenal player

& back on topic I think JFC actually did a very good job of marking the space in the middle of the pitch (With or without any other players in the vicinity)

It was the pass I was thinking of. Not for the first time it was a CB failing to put his foot through it and clear the bloody thing that cost us. That was an unbelievably daft short pass out of defence when Arsenal were swarming all over us in the box. I didn't realise the recipient of the suicide-pass was Holla on the edge of the box when he was robbed, but if it was, I'd struggle to blame him for the goal. The pass was idiotic.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Ha ha ha - exactly this. when I watched him he spent 25 minutes (until I got bored) marking this space and patrolling, in a leisurely way, his area. Its crap work but someone's got to do it!!!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The comparison between JFC and Barnes clearly works

A large miniority of the crowd have decided that regardless of how he, or any other player, or the team as a whole, perform, that the one individual is more to blame than any other.

The abuse directed towards Barnes was ridiculous and I take relish in announcing in a loud voice from my seat how often we have missed his commitment and attitude and tenacity, oh and skill and goals, in matches this season.

It now seems that a large minority of the crowd have decided to dish out the same abuse to JFC.

He is clearly well thought of at the club and for England, by numerous managers including all of the recent Brighton ones, and has had newspaper talk linking him to much bigger clubs than us. He is young and still learning - as was Barnes - and perhaps people should give him a break.

In terms of your second point I do agree and I tried to point that earlier - he isn't Tex, he isn't Holla/Ince. He is an old fashioned AM in my mind but perhaps the issue is that the club and he need to work out what type of player he is and help him become it - within our system. Perhaps the problem is that he is currently going through that.

Cringe.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Scholes also played AGAINST teams like Barcelona, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Liverpool, yet JFC looks our of his depth against.....Rotherham.

Then you agree with my original point that JFC is not as good as Paul Scholes.. So now just the trifling matter of whether we are trying to use him in a similar way. In the 3 out of 4 matches that Scholesy didn't score then I assume he was doing the recycling and moving of the ball. That is my only point I wanted to make.. There is value to a team in that kind of role. Whether JFC can get better it? That would be great, but being as he isn't Paul Scholes, and wasn't born as one of the greatest midfielders (according to other players) then he will have to develop, and gain experience at it.. Not at our club though according to some!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here