JFC in U21 Play-off Squad, Walton in U20 squad

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is he not too old to be in the U21s?

He is only 20.

But...

(The Under 21s) This team is for English players aged under 21 at the start of the calendar year in which a two-year European Under-21 Football Championship campaign begins, so some players can remain with the squad until the age of 23. As long as they are eligible, players can play for England at any level, making it possible to play for the U21s, senior side, and again for the U21s, as Jack Butland, Wilfried Zaha and Raheem Sterling have done recently. It is also possible to play for one country at youth level and another at senior level (providing the player is eligible).

From Wiki.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From the squad announced today, FOUR.

Chambers (Arsenal), Dier (Spurs), Shaw (United), Berahino (West Brom).
Forget it.

I completely omitted the fact any 'kid' half decent gets pushed into the full squad, whether they are good enough or not.

#Seniormoment.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
JFC is much better than Ince at the holding role thats why we pick him.

Ince better get the nod over Crofts saturday.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No, It's because we are extremely thin on the ground when it comes to good English players!.

You may think that the coaching in England is crap and therefor the standard isn't as good as it could be, but I still believe it is an achievement to be in the top 7 England U21 midfielders from over 40,000 football clubs in England.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, It's because we are extremely thin on the ground when it comes to good English players!.

The reason he is picked is because he has a huge (relatively speaking) level of experience, in one of the toughest leagues in Europe, at the age of 20, and is a tidy player who does the simple things well, and is very good at taking instruction and performing specific roles that are demanded of him.

ALL England managers love players like that in their squad - Phil Neville, James Milner, etc, etc

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
JFC has 7 U21 caps despite being not good enough for us, Jesse Lingaard has 4 despite being far too good for us.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Reading this thread depresses me. We have a talented 20 yr old in our team, he has a good touch, can retain possession under pressure and see a pass. He is tenacious, works hard for the team. Collectively several Ux coaches for England have recognised his quality, Poyet, Garcia and now Hyppia understand what he brings to the team. And yet, even after a good game like he had against Cardiff people dismiss him. It's crazy, and moronic. Ask yourself this, in the last minutes Paddy tried his luck and shot over the bar from distance and an angle and as a result lost possession. Everyone ooh'd; did you? And what would you have done if that had been JFC? It's called cognitive bias, and belongs to idiots

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Reading this thread depresses me. We have a talented 20 yr old in our team, he has a good touch, can retain possession under pressure and see a pass. He is tenacious, works hard for the team. Collectively several Ux coaches for England have recognised his quality, Poyet, Garcia and now Hyppia understand what he brings to the team. And yet, even after a good game like he had against Cardiff people dismiss him. It's crazy, and moronic. Ask yourself this, in the last minutes Paddy tried his luck and shot over the bar from distance and an angle and as a result lost possession. Everyone ooh'd; did you? And what would you have done if that had been JFC? It's called cognitive bias, and belongs to idiots

Good response.

All I'd say is that whilst it's great for the lad that he has been picked, I feel it's indicative of the dearth of English talent in the game. We're not being entirely subjective here. We've had the opportunity to observe him at close quarters for quite some time and I'd say the jury is out. He needs better management and coaching to move to the next level, if he is capable of that. Right now, if JFC is getting in the England set up, then that's a fairly low benchmark in my opinion.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Good response.

All I'd say is that whilst it's great for the lad that he has been picked, I feel it's indicative of the dearth of English talent in the game. We're not being entirely subjective here. We've had the opportunity to observe him at close quarters for quite some time and I'd say the jury is out. He needs better management and coaching to move to the next level, if he is capable of that. Right now, if JFC is getting in the England set up, then that's a fairly low benchmark in my opinion.

But that's the point, is it not? JFC is playing at a higher level in the U21 squad. He is surrounded by people from Premier League clubs who earn fat salaries, yet he is holding his own and clearly impressing Gareth Southgate, someone who - as Middleborough will attest - has a long understanding of both the English game, the youth system and the talent pool that we have. And we, of the mighty BHA (4 seasons in the top flight in 113 years no less) are so frigging high and mighty that instead of lauding one of our own home grown kids, seek to rubbish him on a frequent basis. My only hope is that he doesn't do a 'Barnes' and say '**** you lot I am going somewhere where I am appreciated'. People on here are delusional...it's nuts...:shootself

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But that's the point, is it not? JFC is playing at a higher level in the U21 squad. He is surrounded by people from Premier League clubs who earn fat salaries, yet he is holding his own and clearly impressing Gareth Southgate, someone who - as Middleborough will attest - has a long understanding of both the English game, the youth system and the talent pool that we have. And we, of the mighty BHA (4 seasons in the top flight in 113 years no less) are so frigging high and mighty that instead of lauding one of our own home grown kids, seek to rubbish him on a frequent basis. My only hope is that he doesn't do a 'Barnes' and say '**** you lot I am going somewhere where I am appreciated'. People on here are delusional...it's nuts...:shootself

I do hear what you are saying, and hats off to him. I really want him to succeed, and I want him to get the best coaching and support. It would be great if he could progress. Right now though, I think that if JFC can justify an England call up, then I'm as worried about the next generation of England players as I was disappointed by the passing generation of England players. I'm not pouring cold water on the lad. It's great that he's amongst the best young English lads out there, and as you say, holding his own against the Premiership U21's. It's just that the talent pool he's mixing in might not be that strong. As I say, the guy needs exposure to the best coaches, so mixing in the England set up has got to be a good thing for him and the Albion.

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
You may think that the coaching in England is crap and therefor the standard isn't as good as it could be, but I still believe it is an achievement to be in the top 7 England U21 midfielders from over 40,000 football clubs in England.

But he's not? Wilshere, Oxlade Chamberlain, Sterling, Barkley, ward prowse and shelvey to name but a few.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But he's not? Wilshere, Oxlade Chamberlain, Sterling, Barkley, ward prowse and shelvey to name but a few.

Do you want to try and name a few different ones? None of Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain or Shelvey are under 21.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports