Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jessie Lindgard... is a second loan spell possible

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd like to see him back at the Albion but I'd be concerned that Man Utd would pressure the manager to start him all the time. CMS deserves a shot, and I'd like to see him partner Ulloa.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Certainly became better the last quarter of his loan spell with us.
No way worth £7million !!
More like £2- £3 million certainly wouldn't pay anymore than the latter for him at all, if that.
Not Premier League material quite yet though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I watched that and the commentators, who I thought were fair, did kind of say that he couldn't buy a goal. Whereas you saw the difference in class with Nathan Redmond putting goals away with ease.

He has a good attitude, and like most forwards in global football is far better than Obika for example, but at 21, I can't see him ever being a regular scorer. Shirley that's a critical requirement if chronically low-scoring Albion, with a tight player wages/fees budget under FFP, needs goals in the team?

Agree with this. Got into some great positions, and there was some good link-up play from him, but in front of goal he wasn't great. Had 3/4 decent chances to score but either made a mistake or made the wrong decision each time - doesn't look like a natural goalscorer. Would I take him back on loan ? Yes, as long as we're not forced to start him every game. Got to be played central though, not wide.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
What is so good about him?

I don't think he's awful (though he is an awful winger) but I wouln't be massively excited by us signing him for next season.

He's not much of a goalscorer, poor passer and pretty weak. What are his qualities that would excite you baring in mind he can play in one position (which with CMS and our current midfielders looks pretty congested)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Suspect he is the sort of player who looks very good in a good winning team, less so in an average team.

We have had a few of them over the years. CKR for starters.

Therefore think he will look better in a quality team. Would like to see him back next year.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
For me, personally, his decision making let him down.

Mainly, his decision to try and celebrate KLL's goal against Deby when we had already been humiliated. That was his worst one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd like to see him here again.
Certainly became better the last quarter of his loan spell with us.
No way worth £7million !!
More like £2- £3 million certainly wouldn't pay anymore than the latter for him at all, if that.
£2m! We just sold Barnes for £1m, with only 4 months of the season/contract left, and he's 3 years older than Lingard, not as good now, and nothing like the prospect that Lingard is. I'd want him for £3m in a heartbeat. Not sure about £7m, it all gets a bit silly when valuing the potential of a player, so you end up with a figure between how good he's likely to be and how good he could be.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I'd like to see him here again.
£2m! We just sold Barnes for £1m, with only 4 months of the season/contract left, and he's 3 years older than Lingard, not as good now, and nothing like the prospect that Lingard is. I'd want him for £3m in a heartbeat. Not sure about £7m, it all gets a bit silly when valuing the potential of a player, so you end up with a figure between how good he's likely to be and how good he could be.

I really can't see how you can say Lingaard is better than Barnes now.
In passing, shooting, tackling, holding the ball up, workrate, heading Barnes is superior. And he can do a job in a variety of positions.

Seagull97

Jan 13, 2014
In passing, shooting, tackling, holding the ball up, workrate, heading Barnes is superior. And he can do a job in a variety of positions.

They both have different strengths where as Barnes my have strength Lingard has pace and agility and also can pull of some smart passes and finishes so to say one is better is wrong as they are different

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
They both have different strengths where as Barnes my have strength Lingard has pace and agility and also can pull of some smart passes and finishes so to say one is better is wrong as they are different

He looks like he has pace, but he never really used it and hasn't sussed the whole running with the ball thing. There's also little point in having pace or making good runs if you look as unconfident as he does in 1-2-1 situations

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
so both Upson and Greer will be going then...oh and i guess Leo neither of them have pace

Well, yes. Ulloa's chronic lack of pace and mobility, as well as being outfought by all centre-backs and wasting his abilities by falling over and berating officials - is a major problem for us in our attacking and counter-attacking, in that we are slow and very predictable for opposing defences.

Greer - a good passing CB and captain, but his lack of pace and diving in selling himself does create defensive problems for us, and with his age it's only going to get worse.

Upson however can get away from it with his generally great positional sense and he largely doesn't commit and get it wrong, unlike Greer.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Our entire team falls to bits whenever Greer leaves the field or is out injured look at Charlton away look at Derby when he came off.
He may not be the actual football genius but he is a leader and has passion, anyone who says he is neither or either is a total fool.
We will be very hard pressed to replace our Captain.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think Barnes is better at shooting, Lingard doesn't need to hold the ball up as much, he's more likely to beat the opponents defence and get a shot off as he's got so much more pace. Workrate and tackling I agree with you, and same re variety of positions - but you don't need them to be able to do a variety of positions, you just need them to do one, and do it well. I think Lingard helped our team more than Barnes and I realise you disagree. No biggie.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Our entire team falls to bits whenever Greer leaves the field or is out injured look at Charlton away look at Derby when he came off.
He may not be the actual football genius but he is a leader and has passion, anyone who says he is neither or either is a total fool.
We will be very hard pressed to replace our Captain.
You are absolutely right. He may not be Rio but he has performed so well for Albion as their captain over the years. He gets a stupidly bad press here on NSC but I thank him wholeheartedly for all he's done for us. Obviously Blue and White through his Scottish veins and never does less than his best. I hope we get another cuppla of years out of our skipper and boll** to all his distractors

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Its bizarre how we can watch the same players in the same matches on the same pitch and see such different things. For me Lingard was not a patch on Barnes. Both had an indifferent scoring rate, but Barnes was streets ahead in terms of holding the ball up, bringing other players into the game and his general distribution. Lingard's passing was atrocious and he frequently gave the ball away in dangerous positions. Barnes was also a stronger presence in defence when it came to back-to-the-wall defending. Yes Lingard's young and may improve these weak areas - but on this season's showing - no thanks.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think Barnes is better at shooting, Lingard doesn't need to hold the ball up as much, he's more likely to beat the opponents defence and get a shot off as he's got so much more pace. Workrate and tackling I agree with you, and same re variety of positions - but you don't need them to be able to do a variety of positions, you just need them to do one, and do it well. I think Lingard helped our team more than Barnes and I realise you disagree. No biggie.

Spot on.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Its bizarre how we can watch the same players in the same matches on the same pitch and see such different things. For me Lingard was not a patch on Barnes. Both had an indifferent scoring rate, but Barnes was streets ahead in terms of holding the ball up, bringing other players into the game and his general distribution. Lingard's passing was atrocious and he frequently gave the ball away in dangerous positions. Barnes was also a stronger presence in defence when it came to back-to-the-wall defending. Yes Lingard's young and may improve these weak areas - but on this season's showing - no thanks.

It's the same when a player goes from one team to another, look at Murray FFS!

Some players (unfair to say Torres) are brilliant at one club and play like me at another.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here