Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jesse Lingard's best position?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Lingard should go back to Manchester, are you for real? Clearly he's an intelligent, dynamic young player with the imagination to play the system that Oscar is aiming for. Just needs to find his feet and that will come with time; new city, new team mates, new position, new style, Manchester never played this way give the guy a break!
I'm guessing some of the people that are saying he should go also bought into the idea that we signed a "Manchester United Star" as proclaimed by the argus! He's a young man with lots of potential learning his craft nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I thought he was linking up with Ulloa really well yesterday and had his best game for us and should have stayed on the pitch rather than being replaced by March who was woeful.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I am only judging the boy on what I have seen. Others on here are judging on what he might become or what some coaches thought was a great potential talent a couple of years ago. Even if he goes on to play at the highest level - it doesn't make his detractors at the moment wrong. It's the here and now for Brighton that matters and we are still short of a 2nd striker.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I'm not sure where OG is playing Jesse, he was vaunted as a striker when he arrived but appears to be playing just forward of the midfield or as was yesterday on the wing. We do have others that can play wide better than him, I understood that he was here to feed off and support Ulloa. He genuinely has not yet impressed upon me how different he is and what he is bringing over and above other team members and doesn't stand out in our team at all. I'm not sure why he is an automatic selection, maybe that's the terms of his loan agreement. Maybe our expectations were heightened by the press statements, he has had two cracking opportunities at the Amex to score and failed on both. Some on here are saying he needs time, he is a loan player and therefore does not have that luxury and neither does our club. he s a young man and I wish him well, I just want to see why he is so highly rated and valued at £5m?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Lingard is never ever going to be a decent Prem player and am pretty sure he'll be Div 1 in a few years. Far too lightweight and is keeping our own better players than him on the bench.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Says something when I'd rather see Hoskins playing instead of Lingard, he's clearly a talented kid but not nearly robust enough for the rough and tumble of the championship, granted Hoskins is made of glass but I would have backed him to score the 1 v 1 chance Jesse had.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Lingard is never ever going to be a decent Prem player and am pretty sure he'll be Div 1 in a few years. Far too lightweight and is keeping our own better players than him on the bench.

While I don't think he will be the player Man Utd pin their hopes on, he is a decent player and will get better. As has been shown before, if Oscar thinks there are better players he will play them

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Good movement the problem comes when he has the ball as he is too easy to knock off the ball. Maybe this will change with more games. I feel sorry for Solly March who must have had his confidence knocked by this loan signing, I see more potential in March and that should have be nurtured.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Jesse by name, Jesse by nature. About as much physical presence as that little fella from the "Carry on films" the weedy one wearing the bins.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Spends a lot of time on the deck after being easily shoved off the ball,
or is that in the Man Utd manual of training ???

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Clearly a very good young player but i think our formation maybe to rigid for his talents. I've got a feeling as the game progresses he will be given license to float just infront of the midfield and cause maximum havoc.

I think substitute is best, if that. Not ready yet.

Lualua should play his position. Not so easy as playing wide on the wing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Send him back

I'm not sure where OG is playing Jesse, he was vaunted as a striker when he arrived but appears to be playing just forward of the midfield or as was yesterday on the wing. We do have others that can play wide better than him, I understood that he was here to feed off and support Ulloa. He genuinely has not yet impressed upon me how different he is and what he is bringing over and above other team members and doesn't stand out in our team at all. I'm not sure why he is an automatic selection, maybe that's the terms of his loan agreement. Maybe our expectations were heightened by the press statements, he has had two cracking opportunities at the Amex to score and failed on both. Some on here are saying he needs time, he is a loan player and therefore does not have that luxury and neither does our club. he s a young man and I wish him well, I just want to see why he is so highly rated and valued at £5m?

Second deep lying striker position. This is the Spanish fashion as this is what Messi plays. Or Suarez.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here