Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jesse Lingard to MLS or is 30 year old out of options?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

"The England international playmaker has become a free agent this summer following his release at the end of a frustrating season-long stint at Nottingham Forest. The enigmatic 30-year-old is mulling over what to do next and has headed to America as part of his summer holiday plans. While in the United States, Lingard has made the most of an opportunity to use the facilities at Inter Miami – the MLS franchise that is co-owned by United and Three Lions legend David Beckham."

“I'm considering all options. I've never ruled out any team or club out, so for me it's just picking the right team and it's got to be right for me. I just want to play football at the end of the day and that's all I want to do. Obviously the project has got to be well suited for me, the team's got to be moving in the right direction but just regular game-time – I'm still hungry. Saudi Arabia are doing big things, and in the next couple of years or so, it will be one of the hotspots to go to. I'm not really surprised that the big names are moving out there.”

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did anyone else think when he played on loan for us in 2014 under Oscar, he looked totally disinterested at times, maybe (despite his brief soirée with England) his attitude has always been under question?
Yep, that is exactly what I thought and was never a fan, even though it was clear he had more quality available to him than just about anyone else in the team. Never looked like he actually wanted to be here to me :shrug:

The comments about Saudi sound like he’s seeing one armed bandit dollars whizzing past his eyes. Maybe I’m just an old gammon ( apparently I am) but Saudi doing big things? Nah they are just paying big wages for name, mostly over the hill, players imo, whilst Sportswashing through European clubs.

If 150k plus a week is running out of options I’m in

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Can't believe he's 30! Time flies.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The sort of player who years ago would have dropped down to the Championship / League One, absolutely torn it up for someone and revived his career for a bit, but I assume his ego won't let him do that

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's a clear and growing division now between a) players with an inner-engine who are absolutely driven to compete at the highest level of, er, competition and b) that other lot who during their peak years opt for the lazy lucrative option of the MLS / China / Saudi Arabia circus

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
He's had a lot to deal with off the pitch, having to become the primary carer of his 11yr and 15yr siblings whilst playing football due his mothers depression, which understandably effected his own mental health and performances.

TBF every manager he's played under has said what a great person he is, he should had stayed at West Ham where he ran riot that season.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I have a (i admit) completely illogical, irrational annoyance towards JL. It's on a par with being annoyed with a player because they snubbed you on Football Manager.

He WAS SMILING AND CELEBRATING when LuaLua scored a last minute consolation goal against Derby in the playoffs. We had no time/chance to win but there he was jumping around.

I still haven't let it go.

Jump to 1.40 and see him jumping on KLL's back when we are 6-2 down. Are you THICK?

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
Did anyone else think when he played on loan for us in 2014 under Oscar, he looked totally disinterested at times, maybe (despite his brief soirée with England) his attitude has always been under question?
He has well documented mental health problems

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's just a shit Deli Alli.

I never warmed to him during his spell at BHA. It always looked like he felt like he was doing us a favour, not overly interested as others have said. He will in all likelihood end up picking up a kings ransom in Saudi, being as he has Man U and England on his CV, which will give the arabs a stonking hard-on. Good luck to him in that respect. But he's a wasted talent, and now a busted flush.

He did at least break every Palace fans heart by scoring that extra-time winner in the Cup Final. Thats about the best I can say for him.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
He's just a shit Deli Alli.

I never warmed to him during his spell at BHA. It always looked like he felt like he was doing us a favour, not overly interested as others have said. He will in all likelihood end up picking up a kings ransom in Saudi, being as he has Man U and England on his CV, which will give the arabs a stonking hard-on. Good luck to him in that respect. But he's a wasted talent, and now a busted flush.

He did at least break every Palace fans heart by scoring that extra-time winner in the Cup Final. Thats about the best I can say for him.

Except he's won trophies and scored in every final he's ever played in: FA Cup, Europa, EFL (and Charity Shield).

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Accept he's won trophies and scored in every final he's ever played in: FA Cup, Europa, EFL (and Charity Shield).
He was part of a very fine team at the time, so of course he's got silverware. Stephane Guivarc'h has a World Cup winners medal.

Imagine that.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
He was part of a very fine team at the time, so of course he's got silverware. Stephane Guivarc'h has a World Cup winners medal.

Imagine that.

Did Guivarc'h score a world class winning goal in the final? Or did he score in multiple big finals? Lingard wasn't just a passenger at Man United.

He is a proper professional too. Mourinho managed both him and Dele. If you watched 'All Or Nothing' you would had seen Mourinho call out Dele for his lack of professionalism and laziness, whereas he regularly picked Lingard.

Since Spurs finally had enough and got rid of Dele, he's continued to decline which shows he nowhere near Lingard's level.

It's also clear Lingard's issues weren't his professionalism, it was his personal life, trying to raise his siblings whilst his mother was ill.

With that being said, he's probably better off going to the MLS or Saudi to get a big pay day if his personal life is settled now.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Did Guivarc'h score a world class winning goal in the final? Or did he score in multiple big finals? Lingard wasn't just a passenger at Man United.

He is a proper professional too. Mourinho managed both him and Dele. If watched 'All Or Nothing you would had seen Mourinho call out Dele for his lack of professionalism and laziness, whereas he regularly picked Lingard.

Since Spurs finally had enough and got rid of Dele, he's continued to decline which shows he nowhere near Lingard's level.

It's also clear Lingard's issues weren't his professionalism, it was his personal life, trying to raise his siblings whilst his mother was ill.

With that being said, he's probably better off going to the MLS or Saudi to get a big pay day if his personal is settled now.
All well and good but he was still utter shit for us, and thats what I judge him by I'm afraid.

File him under 'James Wilson' and lets leave it there.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
All well and good but he was still utter shit for us, and thats what I judge him by I'm afraid.

File him under 'James Wilson' and lets leave it there.

What surprise, a 19yr old kid on loan didn't light up The Championship.

Yes, 4 goals and 4 assists in 17 games isn't great but hardly surprising.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What surprise, a 19yr old kid on loan didn't light up The Championship.

Yes, 4 goals and 4 assists in 17 games isn't great but hardly surprising.
Quite apart from his stats I never felt like he was putting a shift in for us. Didn't like him or rate him.

You clearly do, but it'd be boring if we all held the same opinions wouldn't it.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Yep, that is exactly what I thought and was never a fan, even though it was clear he had more quality available to him than just about anyone else in the team. Never looked like he actually wanted to be here to me :shrug:

The comments about Saudi sound like he’s seeing one armed bandit dollars whizzing past his eyes. Maybe I’m just an old gammon ( apparently I am) but Saudi doing big things? Nah they are just paying big wages for name, mostly over the hill, players imo, whilst Sportswashing through European clubs.

If 150k plus a week is running out of options I’m in
The Saudi comments seem like a "come and get me". Obviously not much interest in him then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here